A squad in urgent need of strengthening

Ishmael

Winger and striker are key. 

We are probably the only club in the league trying to get through a season with just 2 wingers in its squad. Add to that the fact that one of them, Routledge, has had 6 different Premier league clubs (a record) and is still yet to score at this level. Astonishing. His assists rate isn't much better. He's a waste of a shirt at this level. A smart signing to get us through the Championship but out of his depth now.

There's a tonne of dead wood and cheap backup all over the squad but the first XI isn't bad. The first XI has a couple of glaring weaknesses though and they are right wing and up front. Those are the areas we should be looking to improve, not more cheap squad signings. More Routledges, Bests and Lovenkrands type signings will not help us, bring in a right winger and a striker of Premier League quality and we will see differences immediately.

I can't see Ashley spending big money on January that can bring in players with starting 11 quality.

The best scenario is we can make HBA's deal permanent and give the younsters (Ranger, Vukcic, Shane Ferguson, etc) a few starts and hope any of them can develop like what Carroll's did.

To be honest, if Carroll's staying, we won't get relegated. This gives us a priceless period of training them up.  Things will not be the same after this season when Carroll's sold...

Goals keep you up; we need a quality striker. We are also going to be regularly without one of Tiote, Barton or Nolan. Back up for those 3 is simply not good enough for the PL. We have to hope Gosling is good enough or Ben Arfa returns. If that is the case I'd like to see us bring in a winger, SWP on loan perhaps, neither Routelege or Jonas carry enough threat. More than anything we need a striker. Leon Best must be shit in training not to get on ahead of some of the non performances we have seen.

IN ORDER OF PRIORITY:

Striker (1)

Winger (1)

Make sure they are premiership class and we will be ok.

i actually prefer Barton on the right wing, think he contributes more from there and is decent defensively. If we get gosling back in jan-feb, it's like a new signing for centre midfield so we are covered there. ben Arfa will cover fior left wing and as a second striker.

Desperately need someone to help out Carrol or to sub for him.

Van AArholt from chelsea would be a great signing, play him either at left back or left wing...

“In the three games I’ve been here that is the least quality we’ve shown. I think it’s evident that we could do with a couple of additions,” Pardew said.

“On its day, we have a team that can compete with anyone, we’ve proved that against some of the top teams in this division. But is there that competition and quality in all areas when other players have to come in?

“I thought James Perch did terrific at left-back, but he isn’t naturally left-footed; we maybe lacked a little bit of balance down that left-hand side.

“We couldn’t get Jonas in the game as much as we would have liked, and little things like that make a difference. We are looking at the market, and hopefully we can bring someone in.

“You can only stop looking over your shoulder when you win. That’s the mentality. When you win you look upwards; when you lose you look backwards. “That’s the tendency, but we’ve got three really tough games out of the way and we’ve taken three points from them.

“We just want to improve as a club and a team,” he said. “I have the backing of the board, and I want to put that into place in terms of taking the club forward. We’ve secured (Steven) Taylor this week, which was very important, and there’s a no sale on Andy Carroll, which is probably the biggest and best news we’re going to have during the window. Hopefully, we can add one or two.”

Making the right noises then.

We've only got one player on loan (Ben Arfa) so there should be plenty of scope to loan a few players from the likes of Man City. We can't be too precious about loaning players. As an example, Sunderland have two loan players in their usual first 11 (Onuoha and Welbeck). Our main goal is to stay up by any means necessary.

“In the three games I’ve been here that is the least quality we’ve shown. I think it’s evident that we could do with a couple of additions,” Pardew said.

“On its day, we have a team that can compete with anyone, we’ve proved that against some of the top teams in this division. But is there that competition and quality in all areas when other players have to come in?

“I thought James Perch did terrific at left-back, but he isn’t naturally left-footed; we maybe lacked a little bit of balance down that left-hand side.

“We couldn’t get Jonas in the game as much as we would have liked, and little things like that make a difference. We are looking at the market, and hopefully we can bring someone in.

“You can only stop looking over your shoulder when you win. That’s the mentality. When you win you look upwards; when you lose you look backwards. “That’s the tendency, but we’ve got three really tough games out of the way and we’ve taken three points from them.

“We just want to improve as a club and a team,” he said. “I have the backing of the board, and I want to put that into place in terms of taking the club forward. We’ve secured (Steven) Taylor this week, which was very important, and there’s a no sale on Andy Carroll, which is probably the biggest and best news we’re going to have during the window. Hopefully, we can add one or two.”

Making the right noises then.

I'm not sure who sounds more naive, Pardew or you. ;)

First of all need to clear out Smith, Guthrie, Xisco, Lovenkrands, Ameobi and probably some other useless twats i've forgotten.

Why are they going to move & who would want them. They are more than likely going to have to take huge pay cut if they went elsewhere so the lot of them are going to sit tight.

As much as i don't want to see Alan Pardew build his Newcastle United - reinforcements are absolutely essential.

As he's seemingly here for the next 12months+, why don't you want the club to progress?

As much as i don't want to see Alan Pardew build his Newcastle United - reinforcements are absolutely essential.

As he's seemingly here for the next 12months+, why don't you want the club to progress?

He might be a bit doubtful whether Pardew is the right man to be handed a transfer kitty. I know I was when Kinnear was given the money during the last premier window in Jan. Hopefully Pardew will be a bit more clued up than Kinnear but I still feel nervous.

don´t care. Pardew wont do anything good anyway. like Souness, Sam etc he will only give us shit. dont care, dont care.

the NUFC life is not as fun anymore. it is not fun when you know we will go backwards and have to start all over again when the shite finally gets fired with bad football and crappy transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a right winger in.  My patience with Routledge snapped today.  The guy is just a headless chicken.

But we musnt sign a right winger, coz Joey has been amazing there!! We dont need a squad man, just a starting 11 remember!?

He might be a bit doubtful whether Pardew is the right man to be handed a transfer kitty. I know I was when Kinnear was given the money during the last premier window in Jan. Hopefully Pardew will be a bit more clued up than Kinnear but I still feel nervous.

Only just noticed this, aye that's all it is really. Exactly the same as when Kinnear was here. In my heart of hearts i don't see Pardew being here for long so i'd rather not see him blow whatever finances we have. Souness got £50m and it'd have crippled us had Ashley not 'saved' us. We need reinforcements this window but i'm cautious. Especially if he sees right-wing as a priority*.

*Though we do need to improve the cover.