Robbie Keane - ja oder nein?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

See Michael Owen during the relegation push

Yet you'd take a much older Beckham?

Beckham is a proven professional that has a desire for football, who's talent is based around technical ability. Almost the complete opposite of Michael Owen.

He's also a 35 year old winger. So it's a yes to a guy who's best years are behind him, but no to Keane because his best years are behind him ???

But Beckham's style of player is better suited to someone who can age and still player, compared to a Keane/Bellamy/Owen who relied on pace for the vast majority of their career. Beckham is all about his ability on the ball, rather than off it and movement with it. His passing is just as good as it ever was. Plus, I was talking about their mentality, though its a judgement call.

Beckham has said he still wants to prove himself good enough to play and has a determination to try and get back into the England call up. Compare that to Owen who talked the talked, but rarely walked it (when he could walk). Not sure if Keane is like that though.

However, saying all this, Keane is only 29. For some reason I thought he was 31.  :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Didn't Sturridge want (really) silly money last time he moved?

Man City mate said that's why City let him go; Sturridge wanted £60k a week for what was pretty much his first professional contract. So City called his bluff and sold him.  :lol:

Everyone would want silly money for moving to Chelsea, especially knowing he would never be first choice! Why else would he have moved down there, particularly from Man City! Now that the novelty of a few extra thou per week could have worn off, if he fancies some first team football - here is as good a place as any for him. Maybe the chance to get in the England squad alongside the new number 9 could be the challenge he needs - we are certainly high profile enough for him to stay in the news if he scores regularly etc?

Everyone would want silly money for moving to Chelsea, especially knowing he would never be first choice! Why else would he have moved down there, particularly from Man City! Now that the novelty of a few extra thou per week could have worn off, if he fancies some first team football - here is as good a place as any for him. Maybe the chance to get in the England squad alongside the new number 9 could be the challenge he needs - we are certainly high profile enough for him to stay in the news if he scores regularly etc?

Think it was the other way around tbf; Chelsea were the only ones at that time mental enough to pay him what he wanted. :lol:

He looks a really talented player to me but I can't help but think he'd have ten better options than us if he was available.

sturridge and carroll  :fwap:

his career has stalled at chelsea which is someone everyone else could see coming a mile off. i suppose he went after the money. saying that he only recently turned 21 so there is a lot of time for him to come good - the natural talent is definitely there.

Chelsea have Anelka, Drogba and Malouda all the wrong side of 30.

I'm sure Sturridge will be very content with biding his time for a couple more years on his silly wage and waiting to see what happens there before moving to a lesser club, earning less money, in search of 1st team football.

No matter where Keane goes, I think he'll be a great deal better than he has been for Spurs since his return from Liverpool. 

Very simply, he wants to play on a regular basis and he's not doing that at Spurs.  He also says that lack of games is also affecting his Ireland performances, which is probably true.

Not sure Keane would be willing to sign for only 2 years though. At his age he'll be after one more big contract for about 4 years before he slips down the leagues and/or retires.

We're not in a position to offer him that imo so it would be a loan deal or nothing and if Spurs aren't willing to do business then we should be looking elsewhere.

How do we know Spurs won't accept? I'm pretty sure HBA 'wasn't available on a loan deal' either. Plus Redknapp talks out of his arse, always has.

I think if they can get shot of him permanently then they'll go for that as their Plan A. If no-one's willing to take him then they'll hawk him out on loan.

They clearly don't see a future for him down there.

How do we know Spurs won't accept? I'm pretty sure HBA 'wasn't available on a loan deal' either. Plus Redknapp talks out of his arse, always has.

I think if they can get shot of him permanently then they'll go for that as their Plan A. If no-one's willing to take him then they'll hawk him out on loan.

especially as arry seems to want to bring in beckham (god knows why would screw up their sides balance) but as it stands they can't add a player due to their squad being full (woodgates not got a place in their side) so i consider it a strong possibility he'll be let out on loan towards windows end when it becomes very clear no one is willing to pay for him

especially as arry seems to want to bring in beckham (god knows why would screw up their sides balance) but as it stands they can't add a player due to their squad being full (woodgates not got a place in their side) so i consider it a strong possibility he'll be let out on loan towards windows end when it becomes very clear no one is willing to pay for him

Someone (Dave?) hinted at that very plausible scenario happening. :thup: