David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bentley was brilliant at both Norwich and Blackburn and he would have been a brilliant player to bring here when he went to Spurs.  Get the Bentley of 2 years ago and he'll be brilliant, get the one who has played for Spurs and he'll add very little, if anything.

Maybe he’s just not cut out to life in London as he didn’t set the world on fire when at Arsenal.  He’s done well when away from the place.  I'm not sure that he's worth the risk unless were bringing other players in.  If we're looking to bring in players to keep us in this division, I'm not sure he's the way to go because of his last 2 years.

I think Otter hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread ( :lol: ). He's lost in an Arsenal or a Spurs team, whereas at Blackburn he was the big fish in the small pond. It'll be similar if he comes here, and I can see him responding well to it. On a loan deal, he'd be perfect.

In what universe are Newcastle United a small pond and in which dimension would the David Bentley off the past couple of seasons be a big fish here?

Probably in the one where they've just come up from a year in the Championship. Although Bentley wouldn't necessarily be a 'big fish' here, but much more down to his level.

Again, what has Larsson done to be so highly rated? Didn't he go like over a year without a goal until recently? That's Jonas form.

you don't have to score to play well for your team.

Whey nar. That's just on top of the fact I've never been impressed while watching him.

Bentley was brilliant at both Norwich and Blackburn and he would have been a brilliant player to bring here when he went to Spurs. Get the Bentley of 2 years ago and he'll be brilliant, get the one who has played for Spurs and he'll add very little, if anything.

Maybe he’s just not cut out to life in London as he didn’t set the world on fire when at Arsenal. He’s done well when away from the place. I'm not sure that he's worth the risk unless were bringing other players in. If we're looking to bring in players to keep us in this division, I'm not sure he's the way to go because of his last 2 years.

I think Otter hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread ( :lol: ). He's lost in an Arsenal or a Spurs team, whereas at Blackburn he was the big fish in the small pond. It'll be similar if he comes here, and I can see him responding well to it. On a loan deal, he'd be perfect.

In what universe are Newcastle United a small pond and in which dimension would the David Bentley off the past couple of seasons be a big fish here?

We're either a big club or we're not? When I said we should have a better home record a few months ago, I was met with the comment several times that "we're a newly promoted club" blah blah etc. etc. If that's the case then Bentley would be a big fish in a small pond. And effective he'd be.

We need a player with PL experience that can cross a ball. Here is Bentley. I don't see what the problem is.

It could be that he plays better when he has no distractions, like Norwich and Blackburn.  I'm not sure that we could say that Newcastle will not offer distractions.  If he’s looking for a fresh start to his career then it could work for him here, are we in a position to take that risk?  Maybe we're not in a position to not take the risk.

People are becoming very picky when it comes to signing players.

We need to build a decent squad and add some depth. Right now players like Bentley and Keane are the type of players who would keep us up. Tomorrow is an example where those two players would come in handy. Instead we have Shola who isnt exactly fit or mobile and Ranger who does not have the quality at this level (yet at least) leading the line in a very important game.

The current players look mentally and physically fatigued and we simply have no decent players to fill the gaps for when the likes of Nolans, Bartons and Carroll are missing which is bound to happen over the course of the season at one time or another

Against West Brom when missing Nolan and Barton plus Colo it was evident that we were missing alot of quality in key areas. I'm sure players like Bentley or Keane would at least provide us with more options instead of relying on guthries and ameobi's who are clearly at times out of there depth

I remember some people not being bothered when milner left stating he wasnt a great player and "just worked hard" and that we could buy better. But it just shows how far you have gone backwards when i'd kill for him in our team and it felt that we simply disposed him.  You need players like milner in your squad

got to be when we haven't got much to spend. the position of the player in discussion is as much an issue as the player himself.

Bentley was brilliant at both Norwich and Blackburn and he would have been a brilliant player to bring here when he went to Spurs.  Get the Bentley of 2 years ago and he'll be brilliant, get the one who has played for Spurs and he'll add very little, if anything.

Maybe he’s just not cut out to life in London as he didn’t set the world on fire when at Arsenal.  He’s done well when away from the place.  I'm not sure that he's worth the risk unless were bringing other players in.  If we're looking to bring in players to keep us in this division, I'm not sure he's the way to go because of his last 2 years.

We're either a big club or we're not? When I said we should have a better home record a few months ago, I was met with the comment several times that "we're a newly promoted club" blah blah etc. etc. If that's the case then Bentley would be a big fish in a small pond. And effective he'd be.

We need a player with PL experience that can cross a ball. Here is Bentley. I don't see what the problem is.

I don't think you could ever call us a small pond. We had more fans watching us in the Championship than all but a handful of Prem clubs. I also don't think Bentley should automatically be a starter for us based on what I've seen of him in recent seasons, so I still can't see the comparison with his time at Blackburn..

To those who won't want to sign him.  What are the alternatives?  Because the amount of players available is going to be severely restricted in the 1st place.

alternatives are seb larsson, keeping barton outside and buying a central player or some newer tiote type unknown.

Seb Larsson isn't available, Bentley is.  Did you read the question ???

every player is available and i'd bet we'd get larsson for less than we'd buy bentley for and on lower wages.......don't you ?

Every player is available if your willing to pay 200% above the actual value of the player.  Seb Larsson turned us down under Keegan, so he's not exactly going to join us now.

200% is that just a figure plucked out the air ? i'll bet we could get larsson for less than we'd spend on bentley.

Yeah, I'm sure birmingham are willing to sell one of their best players to a relegation rival.

I would imagine an offer of 2 million would get him what with him walking away for free in a couple of months. How much would David Bentley cost? I'd say at least double that based on his reputation. Also, his wages at Spurs would be much, much higher I would have thought..

Birmingham have said they are not selling him, and it was reported yesterday that he is close to signing a new contract.  So it's a non starter on that front.

depends where you read......http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/dec/31/birmingham-city-david-bentley

got to be when we haven't got much to spend. the position of the player in discussion is as much an issue as the player himself.

thats a very fair point. but the fact that we are trying to sign players at all is encouraging and we all know that any player we sign wont be breaking the bank as its clear most deals we are doing are pretty low budget on sensible wages so im not too worried about the financial details aslong as we get decent quality players in.

More specifically about Bentley i think he would provide a lot more balance to the team instead of having a center mid playing wide right, even though barton has impressed abit in that position with his delivery but clearly a natural wide man would allow barton to play his best in his proper position. Routledge is not good enough to start, plenty of effort but you cant rely on him, so Bentley for me would address a position that needs attention.

Small pond is obviously a comment based on the squads. I think it's fair to say spurs and arsenal are bigger ponds in that respect

Is it? I always took it to be indicative of how "big" a club is and how much pressure playing for the club brings along with it..

Small pond is obviously a comment based on the squads. I think it's fair to say spurs and arsenal are bigger ponds in that respect

Is it? I always took it to be indicative of how "big" a club is and how much pressure playing for the club brings along with it..

It's based on where they are in football. Tottenham and Arsenal = top six/four clubs, Newcastle = Premiership newcomers. We're definitely a 'small pond' atm.

It's good that we're in the market for this calibre of player, but i fail to see how it's going to improve the starting eleven. Barton plays the wide role extremely well... if moving him centrally purely to accommodate Nolan upfront is the long-term plan here, i think Pardew's barking completely up the wrong tree. We should be looking at improving the left (with a view to plying HBA upfront when he returns), not the right.

It's good that we're in the market for this calibre of player, but i fail to see how it's going to improve the starting eleven. Barton plays the wide role extremely well... if moving him centrally purely to accommodate Nolan upfront is the long-term plan here, i think Pardew's barking completely up the wrong tree. We should be looking at improving the left (with a view to plying HBA upfront when he returns), not the right.

I'd rather find a long term solution to the right wing, as I see Barton as just a stop-gap for that position.

I agree that we need to strengthen the left like.

I'd rather find a long term solution to the right wing, as I see Barton as just a stop-gap for that position.

I agree that we need to strengthen the left like.

whats the overall plan though cos if ben arfa plays up front or left and folk are happy with barton right.........then it's the middle we need someone as we have guthrie,nolan or smith.