David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why do people look for places in the team to fit Jonas? Are you that blinded by the fact Maradona rates him?

He should be nowhere near the team, or the ideally the squad.

Not blinded, but he is a good dribler and normally works his socks off. He might even score a goal if he playes in the center...

The reason we are doing better this season than two years ago with players who have less prestigious careers than the playes we had is down to mentality.

Our team has the mentality both as individuals and as a team to do well this year, but we need to make sure that as we improve our squad, the players that come in believe they can do well and will not cause disharmony within the team.

I remember people laughed when I expressed concern about signing Ben Arfa on the basis that I felt we needed playes that wouldn't upset the team, as it would be the personalities of the Nolans the Carrolls and the Bartons that would keep us up. Turns out I was right on the latter point. However I now reckon our team spirit is so strong that we can absorb the occasional Ben Arfa type player, make them feel wanted and loved, and therefore make them part of the team.

I don't have worries that Bentley would cause disharmony within the team. However his mental weakness from what others describe is the opposite to Ben Arfa in that it seems to be about his own ability and is a confidence player. For that reason I don't think this is the right club for him. The strength of the team spirit couldn't give Perch the confidence to step up, and if the description of him is accurate playing well at st James Park after a blip in form may be beyond him. For that reason he'd be doing well for Blackburn or Bolton, but not for us, Spurs or West Ham.

What a load of insane rubbish.

Putting it mildly.

The reason we are doing better this season than two years ago with players who have less prestigious careers than the playes we had is down to mentality.

Our team has the mentality both as individuals and as a team to do well this year, but we need to make sure that as we improve our squad, the players that come in believe they can do well and will not cause disharmony within the team.

I remember people laughed when I expressed concern about signing Ben Arfa on the basis that I felt we needed playes that wouldn't upset the team, as it would be the personalities of the Nolans the Carrolls and the Bartons that would keep us up. Turns out I was right on the latter point. However I now reckon our team spirit is so strong that we can absorb the occasional Ben Arfa type player, make them feel wanted and loved, and therefore make them part of the team.

I don't have worries that Bentley would cause disharmony within the team. However his mental weakness from what others describe is the opposite to Ben Arfa in that it seems to be about his own ability and is a confidence player. For that reason I don't think this is the right club for him. The strength of the team spirit couldn't give Perch the confidence to step up, and if the description of him is accurate playing well at st James Park after a blip in form may be beyond him. For that reason he'd be doing well for Blackburn or Bolton, but not for us, Spurs or West Ham.

Putting it mildly.

I didn't even read it because I knew it would be :lol:

Can take a guess, James long post = inane ramblings, looking far too much into things and making up a load of nonsense to try and make it look deep and intellectual.

Guest kingdawson

Bentley has dribbling ability? Bentley takes a good free-kick?

hmmm some people are going to be rather disapointed it seems.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I sense a bitterness kd. Harrys ramblings are obviously having their effect

I have seen with my own eyes that he can dribble and cross for arsenal, Blackburn, England and yourselves. When you compare his dribbling to Lennon he looks slow, his delivery to vdv and it looks average.

But to say he can't do either is frankly ridiculous

Guest kingdawson

I sense a bitterness kd. Harrys ramblings are obviously having their effect

I have seen with my own eyes that he can dribble and cross for arsenal, Blackburn, England and yourselves. When you compare his dribbling to Lennon he looks slow, his delivery to vdv and it looks average.

But to say he can't do either is frankly ridiculous

Bitterness? well you'd totally wrong then. I despise Keane but i openly admitted he'd bring something to your team but the descriptions given to Bentley by some are wrong...totally wrong at that.

You've seen him dribble for us? well then you've seen things even spurs season ticket holders haven't seen. Even when he was in decent form for us he didn't dribble past players. He does have a very good cross on him at times but you're telling me you've seen him dribble for us when even i haven't seen it.

Guest kingdawson

You don't realise that we're comparing him to what we already have KD.

Fair enough mate.

From what i've seen Jonas can dribble past players better than Bentley, and Taylor takes a better set piece.

James Milner was useless and the majority would have been happy just to get our money back on him, a couple even suggested just letting him go to get him off the books.

Sometimes the opinion of fans at the players clubs isn't always unclouded.

The signing of Gosling is also similar to some thinking £4m would have been enough for Carroll last season ie both looked to have talent but weren't the finished article after a couple of dozen starts so weren't worth keeping.

Not saying the opinions on the two are incorrect, just saying sometimes fans can be overly harsh when judging their own players like we have been ourselves at times.

There's no denying he's been really poor whilst at Spurs though. Especially when you compare that to when he was at Blackburn.

I think he's a decent enough player but was massively overhyped based on 1, possibly 2 seasons. There's some quality in there somewhere, it's just we have the manager who can unlock that.

James Milner was useless and the majority would have been happy just to get our money back on him, a couple even suggested just letting him go to get him off the books.

Sometimes the opinion of fans at the players clubs isn't always unclouded.

The signing of Gosling is also similar to some thinking £4m would have been enough for Carroll last season ie both looked to have talent but weren't the finished article after a couple of dozen starts so weren't worth keeping.

Not saying the opinions on the two are incorrect, just saying sometimes fans can be overly harsh when judging their own players like we have been ourselves at times.

100% spot on. Not all fans have the ability to discern a player's ability correctly like me  :coolsmiley:

My view is that while Bentley's dribbling and pace are not the greatest, he makes up for it in intelligence and a sweet right foot. Will we get him? Will we f...  probably not.

Putting it mildly.

I didn't even read it because I knew it would be :lol:

Can take a guess, James long post = inane ramblings, looking far too much into things and making up a load of nonsense to try and make it look deep and intellectual.

Did you really not read it? Because you are 100% spot on :lol:

Guest Stephen927

Good enough to be a starter for a top 4 team with ambitions of winning the league? Definitely not.

Good enough to be a starter for a team wanting to solidify a solid mid-table finish? Definitely.

For me it depends which Bentley turns up. If it's the Bentley of Arsenal/Blackburn days then I'd take him like a shot. If he's gonna continue his Spurs form here (as players in decline normally do when they join us) then I'd rather pass on him. We also don't have a manager adept at getting the best out of players any more either.

My concern about this would be what happens to Barton and Nolan. I've mentioned elsewhere that I really don't rate Barton in the centre, and we've seen on a number of occasions now that Nolan isn't very effective when played as a forward. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this only really makes sense if we're planning on getting rid of Barton.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think Pardew wants Barton in the centre, and not out wide. I know Barton isn't too keen playing wide right, and he's obviously told Pardew.

I think Pardew wants Barton in the centre, and not out wide. I know Barton isn't too keen playing wide right, and he's obviously told Pardew.

I am with Dave on this one, I haven't seen Barton put in hardly one decent performance in the centre. He doesn't have the energy or drive required in the premier these days, in this league you just don't get the time to stroll through games. Plus he doesn't get beyond the forwards either which the best midfielders do.

Bentley is talented but he has looked awfully short on confidence ever since joining Spurs..

Would he see the move as a new beginning, would he be motivated to succeed here or are we just back to the days of throwing lucrative contracts to under-performing prima donnas..

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I agree, I just said I think Pardew wants him in the centre. I don't think he's a bad player in the middle but it works out best for the team if he plays wide right.

You don't realise that we're comparing him to what we already have KD.

Fair enough mate.

From what i've seen Jonas can dribble past players better than Bentley, and Taylor takes a better set piece.

Take note people, for you have been warned by somebody who has seen more of him recently than all of us combined..