David Bentley joins Birmingham City on loan

jdckelly
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When he was at Arsenal, Bentley was slated to play in the second striker role. While playing for Blackburn, however, Bentley was deployed more frequently on the right side of midfield due to his ability to cross the ball. He was also the first choice free kick and corner kick taker for Blackburn Rovers.

Liverpool has interest in Routledge?  This was linked from BBC's Gossip column:

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/01/05/liverpool-plan-8m-january-bid-for-newcastle-united-winger/#more-42881

8M is absurd but it would make sense to move Routledge out if Bentley comes in.

8million for routledge. while our lucks in we should try a 12million bid for messi and iniesta.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/01/05/liverpool-plan-8m-january-bid-for-newcastle-united-winger/#more-42881

would love it to happen...its a lot of money!

...but it won´t the LFC board will stop the madness and sack Roy before it happens!

Routledge is a nice option to have on the bench!

8million for routledge. while our lucks in we should try a 12million bid for messi and iniesta.

Chuck in Xavi and they've got a deal :thup:

Where's this supposed money coming from for Liverpool anyway? Especially for a manager who's on borrowed time. Unreal the shite the media spout. If Liverpool got relegated they'd still be putting their name in lists of clubs after Europa League-level players.

don't really understand the need to spend on Bentley when Barton is playing so well. in principle, and for the longer term i'm not against it- who knows if Barton will keep this up or not, whereas Bentley is a genuine wide player and definitely better than Routledge, but at this point in the season i think a proper partner for Carroll, or even a Jonas upgrade, would be a more pressing need.

Even if he doesn't slide into the first team naturally right now, not signing Bentley if we are given a reasonable price would be madness considering the number of options he offers us, not to mention the possibly large upside.

Overall, I don't think it makes sense for us given our other needs and the wages/fee he would command, and I can't see it happening.

Sounds like the press putting two and two together with Harry saying he's available (although TBF I think that about most transfer rumours!).

Overall, I don't think it makes sense for us given our other needs and the wages/fee he would command, and I can't see it happening.

Sounds like the press putting two and two together with Harry saying he's available (although TBF I think that about most transfer rumours!).

Pardew's seemed keen when asked about him though.

Even if he doesn't slide into the first team naturally right now, not signing Bentley if we are given a reasonable price would be madness considering the number of options he offers us, not to mention the possibly large upside.

But why would he be happy with that? Surely it's not going to be good for squad morale if a bench player from Spurs with supposed attitude problems drops halfway down the league to Newcastle and is still just a utility player? If he doesn't start, he'd be more trouble than he's worth, and if he does start, it's probably going to be at the cost of one of our 3 lynch pins of midfield, and the season.

David Bentley has one of the sweetest right feet in England. But that's all it has. Outside crosses and set pieces, I never had the impression he had much to bring. But he is really good at that. Surely it's a good option to have, but I can't see Tottenham okaying a deal that would make financial sense to you. Or the player being comfortable.

The only way I'd see it work, is putting Barton in the middle.

Carroll

Nolan

Ben Arfa                                  Bentley

Tiote      Barton

I hope Pardew doesn't sign Bentley, as I'd rather have two strikers playing with Barton on the right.

But why would he be happy with that? Surely it's not going to be good for squad morale if a bench player from Spurs with supposed attitude problems drops halfway down the league to Newcastle and is still just a utility player? If he doesn't start, he'd be more trouble than he's worth, and if he does start, it's probably going to be at the cost of one of our 3 lynch pins of midfield, and the season.

If he's coming into the side he's going to either displace Nolan (pushing Barton to the center,) Barton (like for like,) or a striker (moving Nolan up top)

I can think of any number of scenarios where we have to do this for the remainder of the season. Injuries, Barton getting arrested, Nolan losing form, not being able to sign a striker, or Bentley taking an initial chance and showing that he's just good enough that we have to accomodate him.

He doesn't have  starting place marked and ready for himself, but very few players get that when they move clubs. There are plenty of avenues for him to take a first team spot.

I'd assume Pardew's intention is for:

Barton  Nolan  Tiote  Bentley

HBA

Carroll

with another striker coming in as backup for Carroll/to play two upfront sometimes.

Guest sicko2ndbest

It goes without saying,but if Nico is available,I'd rather we went for him.

Age 24 compared to what 28?

Bentley for me all day

Guest taps01

It goes without saying,but if Nico is available,I'd rather we went for him.

Age 24 compared to what 28?

Bentley for me all day

Both 26 i thought