Wigan Athletic 0 - 1 Newcastle United - 02/01/11 - post match reaction from p39

Dave

I was happy with the win.  It was an up and down performance but we crafted the better chances and could have, should have won by more.  It helped that Insomnia was out for the game as Cleverly looked to be the only Wigan player that had any spark.  Wigan's back four looked really uncomfortable on the ball.  I was impressed with the way that Barton and Simpson worked together.  Tiote looked solid and after the first 15 minutes was tidy on the ball again.  Colo played well.  I can only think that Best coming on instead of Ranger was to showcase Best (or prove that he is indeed breathing) and I have to wince every time I see Smudger warming up.

With the premiership being so congested, it was a vital 3 points won and we need more games like this as 40 may not be the guaranteed safety zone this season.  It may end up being a tad higher.

Ameobi was f***ing gash again.

Nope.

He stumbled about the entire game as if he was drunk.

He won a lot of headers, held the ball up and scored a goal. Despite getting worse in the second half he had a more than decent game.

Colo's equaliser versus Wigan at home is our biggest goal to date and this was the season's most important win so far.

Thought Shola lead the line superbly but would never have 90 minutes in him.

Enrique needs a kick up the arse, love the guy but he's becoming the defender who makes the difficult look easy and the easy things difficult.

He must cut out the sloppiness to reach the standard he's undoubtedly capable of.