Sebastian Larsson

Guest taps01

The thing with Seb Larsson is his set pieces. he would be so valuable against the bigger teams as he's a team worker and has an excellent cross and set pieces which might earn us the odd points. However, if he's asking for to much than its his fault. He's not a must.

The thing with Seb Larsson is his set pieces. he would be so valuable against the bigger teams as he's a team worker and has an excellent cross and set pieces which might earn us the odd points. However, if he's asking for to much than its his fault. He's not a must.

we can't really say it's his fault unless we know how much was he wanted, how much was offered, how much others get etc. even then people on here would disagree over his worth.

On Smith and Guthrie. One of which Larsson might just have kept out of the side at the weekend.

you forgot Routledge and i don't think there's much between him and Jonas either.

There's a fair bit between him and Jonas, tbh.

On Smith and Guthrie. One of which Larsson might just have kept out of the side at the weekend.

you forgot Routledge and i don't think there's much between him and Jonas either.

imo is much more suitable than tbh on this occasion.

You're wrong.

You're wrong.

He's not, tbf.

You're wrong.

He's not, tbf.

he is tbh.

You're wrong.

He's not, tbf.

he is tbh.

Not iyam

Pretty disappointing that we have seemingly missed out on two of our main targets due to wage demands.

This window really is critical to the rest of our season, as we will find out every time we lose a first team player and turn to our bench to replace him. You only have to look at our bench to see points will be dropped against all but the worst teams.

If beating Wigan and thumping West Ham without Carroll gave Ashley a false sense of security, then Stevenage should have been a timely wake up call. His manager Pardew had so little faith in his bench players let alone youngsters that he admitted to fielding his exhausted first XI a week before sunderland. Many myself included thought it was a mad team selection, but either way Pardew clearly has no faith in any of them.

We may be able to snap up a more expensive player than Larsson and even get him on a lower wage, but financially the cost is the same. It is worrying but perhaps predictable that we simply don't have the money for these players.

Actually though, if there was ever a season where strengthening in January wasn't "critical," it's probably this one.

We're good enough to not get relegated and we're not good enough to push for Europe, so really it'll be nice if we can pick up some improvements but it's hardly the end of the world otherwise. Prices are usually inflated in January and we shouldn't let agents hold us to ransom.

Actually though, if there was ever a season where strengthening in January wasn't "critical," it's probably this one.

We're good enough to not get relegated and we're not good enough to push for Europe, so really it'll be nice if we can pick up some improvements but it's hardly the end of the world otherwise. Prices are usually inflated in January and we shouldn't let agents hold us to ransom.

Yeah, maybe you're right. However, the Larsson deal is a bit different as it would be using the window and his contract situation to get a decent player for a good price.

I'm confident in the ability of our first XI to get a few more wins yet. However, a couple of injuries anywhere on the pitch and we'll be losing week in week out. We have seen before how teams can spiral after christmas, and with the nature of the league this year it can happen to anyone. West Brom were up around the champions league spots not long ago and winning loads of plaudits, now they're 2 points off bottom. We've been fortunate that key players such as Enrique, Tiote, Coloccini, Barton and Carroll have not missed many games. But look at the games they did miss - we dropped points. Bring in Perch, Smith, Guthrie, Routledge and we're a different animal altogether. West Ham and Wigan was a vital 6 points but it papered over the cracks in terms of our squad.

Can this squad get us through the season, or will a few injuries/suspensions see a dramatic dip in form? I'd rather not chance it, and feel even just one player such as Larsson would make a big difference to our options and our chances over the next 5 months. You only have to see Pardew's team selection against Stevenage to know he doesn't have faith in any of them even against League Two opposition.

Yeah, maybe you're right. However, the Larsson deal is a bit different as it would be using the window and his contract situation to get a decent player for a good price.

I'm confident in the ability of our first XI to get a few more wins yet. However, a couple of injuries anywhere on the pitch and we'll be losing week in week out. We have seen before how teams can spiral after christmas, and with the nature of the league this year it can happen to anyone. West Brom were up around the champions league spots not long ago and winning loads of plaudits, now they're 2 points off bottom. We've been fortunate that key players such as Enrique, Tiote, Coloccini, Barton and Carroll have not missed many games. But look at the games they did miss - we dropped points. Bring in Perch, Smith, Guthrie, Routledge and we're a different animal altogether. West Ham and Wigan was a vital 6 points but it papered over the cracks in terms of our squad.

Can this squad get us through the season, or will a few injuries/suspensions see a dramatic dip in form? I'd rather not chance it, and feel even just one player such as Larsson would make a big difference to our options and our chances over the next 5 months. You only have to see Pardew's team selection against Stevenage to know he doesn't have faith in any of them even against League Two opposition.

funny but oldtype's post got me looking at the fixture list for the rest of the season, first time i've done it

i'd say we have 14 points in us at home, let's say 12 if i turn a couple of predicted draws into losses

that keeps us up - 4 wins at home only (or equivalent) - so long story short oldtype is right, we only need 4 wins to stay up so i wouldn't be going apeshit to sign people this window especially if we have targets for the summer who'll be better in the long run

funny but oldtype's post got me looking at the fixture list for the rest of the season, first time i've done it

i'd say we have 14 points in us at home, let's say 12 if i turn a couple of predicted draws into losses

that keeps us up - 4 wins at home only (or equivalent) - so long story short oldtype is right, we only need 4 wins to stay up so i wouldn't be going apeshit to sign people this window especially if we have targets for the summer who'll be better in the long run

4 wins will take us to 40 points, and the highest ever relegated points total was 42 (West Ham), so you may be right. However it could be higher this year as even the bottom team has 20 points with 16 games to play.

4 wins will take us to 40 points, and the highest ever relegated points total was 42 (West Ham), so you may be right. However it could be higher this year as even the bottom team has 20 points with 16 games to play.

yeah yeah but you have to play to a target, 40 points as a minimum i'd say was realistic

it would also mean west ham & wigan both need 20 more points to reach it, i.e. 6 wins and 2 draws, and wolves/west brom not far behind them...very hard to see that happening

relegation for us would have to a spectacular collapse like, spectacular

I think as a club you should always attempt to be in a stronger position at the end of a transfer window then you entered it. 1 signing along with HBA's permanent deal would do that imo.

It's surprising, disappointing, and possibly ominous that we weren't able to attract a player of Seb Larsson's ability and reputation. Good news is we have 3 weeks to get a signing or two that would take our club forward and solidify ourselves as a premier league quality side.