Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

We'll agree to disagree. I'll take it back about the flukey strike, but I wouldn't read any more into this than a really off day by a team that have played a lot in the last couple of weeks. Might have been better off resting more players, rather than sticking with some players who have played a lot recently who didn't look up for it.

Wigan and West Ham are far better teams than Stevenage, and we haven't suddenly become shit in the space of 3 days.

Fair assessment.

I would have liked to see Ferguson on the left to provide some genuine balance to the team, playing Barton out there was bizarre.

Also in hindsight playing Ranger might have been a good idea, Loven was invisible against their defence. The Power Ranger also has something to prove after the West Ham game.

Nolan had one of those games we know he's capable of, utterly invisible and bossed by more athletic players. The amount of times he was running back towards our goal, chasing a player who had gone straight through his position, was painful to watch.

During the game I wasn't thinking we were being outplayed really. They were doing well to make the game congested and close us down, and we weren't passing the ball around enough.

It was basically a non-game that we took the wrong approach to creating chances and they got a boost from a highly lucky goal.

We play a game that suits these lower-league sides... pumping balls towards their giant CBs was never going to work, but it's our main tactic at the moment.

They had more attempts on target, more attempts off target, more possession and more corners and were the only side that looked like scoring before their fortunate goal. I have no doubt they would've turned us over even if that had of flew wide.

We didn't turn up, our tactics were a hark back to the good old Souness/Allardyce days and our players looked fucked.

I think we've found some common ground  O0

Guest RowanB

Our long-ball tactics have achieved some amazing results, but it seems like we have no idea whatsoever how to outplay poor teams with classy football. Some of our short-passing was horrendous.

Our long-ball tactics have achieved some amazing results, but it seems like we have no idea whatsoever how to outplay poor teams with classy football. Some of our short-passing was horrendous.

Which was the only way to beat them today, passing and moving.

We didn't do either.

Jesus Christ ...

Just watching the highlights of this again and there is absolutely no protection for the defence from midfield. Nolan and Smith aren't even pretending to track back.

Agreed. This was a big problem.

Maybe Barton taking a slightly different role, in the centre passing it about, might have helped. Would have also allowed a left footer (Fergie) to play down the left.

Barton's been great out wide, but using him a bit more cleverly in this specific game might have been worth a try.

Jesus Christ ...

Just watching the highlights of this again and there is absolutely no protection for the defence from midfield. Nolan and Smith aren't even pretending to track back.

Agreed. This was a big problem.

Totally, this is what our midfield is like without Tiote, and has been for years. I spent half the game shouting 'where's the midfield?' at the TV. It's the biggest problem NUFC has ever had, ideally we need another DM who's a more credible replacement for Cheik.

Guest RowanB

Actually, I agree Ian. I shouldn't have said we were thoroughly outplayed. Thoroughly nullifed is a better way of putting it.

Yeah, but I guess you could argue nullifying a team is a way of outplaying them anyway!

I'm probably not wording this well. I was meaning nullifying, is more a way of equalling a team, rather than outplaying them. We looked like we had no ideas, but they didn't exactly look great either, although by their standards, they probably were.

Guest RowanB

Which was the only way to beat them today, passing and moving.

We didn't do either.

Yeah, exactly. I agree.

Actually, I agree Ian. I shouldn't have said we were thoroughly outplayed. Thoroughly nullifed is a better way of putting it.

Yeah, but I guess you could argue nullifying a team is a way of outplaying them anyway!

I'm probably not wording this well. I was meaning nullifying, is more a way of equalling a team, rather than outplaying them. We looked like we had no ideas, but they didn't exactly look great either, although by their standards, they probably were.

Know what you mean. I thought the first half was a write-off basically, the ball spend most of the time in the air, ping-ponging up and down the field. It was hideous to watch.

But we weren't able to sort it out and get it down in the second half, so criticism goes to the players and Pardew for not making that happen.

lets kill those obnoxious small-time fuckers.

Heh.  Only quote I could be bothered to quote.

As much as I love Newcastle,  Stevenage always has & always will be my first love.  To say i'm over the moon with todays result is an understatement.  Didn't agree with all the chanting about Shearer,  and it never crossed the line etc as thats clearly in the past.  At least thats been buried now.  Surprised how strong Pardew went,  but that backfired a little.  Think our (Stevenage) players looked a little shakey first 5/10,  but as soon as they settled down,  completely outplayed Newcastle over the 90 minutes. Bostwicks goal was not a hit and hope - he's done that many times.  Laurie Wilson was superb,  been such a hit and miss player,  but to see him take the piss out of Nolan and Smith was hilarious.  Thought Tiotes lunge was a red at first viewing in fairness,  but replays showed he got the ball so I guess he may win an appeal.

Thought Newcastle fans were pretty rubbish today.  I was expecting a massive atmosphere with banter back and forth,  but they rarely seemed to make any noise.  Was really surprising,  we completely outsung them,  and that rarely happens.

Last thought - i've said it elsewhere,  but the "fan" of ours who ran on and punched over Scott Laird because he wouldnt give up his shirt is a complete,  grade A cunt who should never be let in a football ground again.  I seriously hope he gets caught and Scott presses charges.

Guest RowanB

Maybe Barton taking a slightly different role, in the centre passing it about, might have helped. Would have also allowed a left footer (Fergie) to play down the left.

Barton's been great out wide, but using him a bit more cleverly in this specific game might have been worth a try.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Barton could have 'pulled a few strings' in the centre. We should at least have tried that in the second half. If you think about it, it's alarming how nothing seemed different in the second half. It's as if Pardew completely lacks ideas.

Last thought - i've said it elsewhere,  but the "fan" of ours who ran on and punched over Scott Laird because he wouldnt give up his shirt is a complete,  grade A cunt who should never be let in a football ground again.  I seriously hope he gets caught and Scott presses charges.

Have you heard for definite that it was a Stevenage fan ?

Says in the other thread he was recognised as a home fan.

lets kill those obnoxious small-time fuckers.

Heh.  Only quote I could be bothered to quote.

As much as I love Newcastle,  Stevenage always has & always will be my first love.  To say i'm over the moon with todays result is an understatement.  Didn't agree with all the chanting about Shearer,  and it never crossed the line etc as thats clearly in the past.  At least thats been buried now.  Surprised how strong Pardew went,  but that backfired a little.  Think our (Stevenage) players looked a little shakey first 5/10,  but as soon as they settled down,  completely outplayed Newcastle over the 90 minutes. Bostwicks goal was not a hit and hope - he's done that many times.  Laurie Wilson was superb,  been such a hit and miss player,  but to see him take the piss out of Nolan and Smith was hilarious.  Thought Tiotes lunge was a red at first viewing in fairness,  but replays showed he got the ball so I guess he may win an appeal.

Thought Newcastle fans were pretty rubbish today.  I was expecting a massive atmosphere with banter back and forth,  but they rarely seemed to make any noise.  Was really surprising,  we completely outsung them,  and that rarely happens.

Fair enough - enjoy today, your team deserved it.

Guest RowanB

Know what you mean. I thought the first half was a write-off basically, the ball spend most of the time in the air, ping-ponging up and down the field. It was hideous to watch.

But we weren't able to sort it out and get it down in the second half, so criticism goes to the players and Pardew for not making that happen.

Yes. It was really ugly. There has to be a way of out-passing a newly-promoted league two side, even if it's not our game.

Says in the other thread he was recognised as a home fan.

Ah sorry. Missed that :thup:

Bit of a relief really. We didn't need that bad PR on top of the result.

The whole defence was shocking.

Some of Colo's passing out of defence was dreadful and his tackle for the yellow was unbelievably stupid.

He got the ball, how was it stupid?

Wind up surely. A more malicious, mistimed tackle than Tiotes

Jesus christ, I can't believe he's defending that challenge.  The player didn't even deny the foul. :lol:

??? Colo plays the ball (in the challenge for his yellow)

Awful match, was to the left of the stand n thought the support was good tbh, what are the lyrics to the "follow follow" song that went on the entire second half?

biggest defeat of the match was Tiote's red, which was ridiculous, but with all this "in this day and age" bollocks can't be surprised

Awful match, was to the left of the stand n thought the support was good tbh, what are the lyrics to the "follow follow" song that went on the entire second half?

biggest defeat of the match was Tiote's red, which was ridiculous, but with all this "in this day and age" bollocks can't be surprised

We love you,we love you, we love you & that is why we follow, we follow, we follow,  cos we support the boro, the boro the boro & thats the way we like it, we like it, we like it awhooooooooowwwwwwaaahhhhhwwwwwoooooooooo

We love you,we love you, we love you & that is why we follow, we follow, we follow,  cos we support the boro, the boro the boro & thats the way we like it, we like it, we like it awhooooooooowwwwwwaaahhhhhwwwwwoooooooooo

not from your lot :lol:

couldn't hear you lot from where we were, never can though when your in different sections, we made noise the whole 2nd half tbh