Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

It's horrific to think this but is it possible that there has been a mentality that no one wants to be unfit or unavailable for the Sunderland match - hence they have put minimum effort in today ?

I was thinking the same.

Guest neesy111

To be fair, going by some in this thread, Pilko, the result didn't matter, to quote, "we're only out of the cup". :(

I don't think that's a blanketed opinion.

Truth, i'm more bothered about the manner of the defeat than the defeat itself... for example i consider Tiote's suspension a bigger blow in terms of reality and results... but i don't think anyone is apathetic enough to not give a shit. The cup's brilliant - i honestly would rather win it than the league (in a minority there, i know) - but it's definitely not a priority. The domestic game has changed.

Agreed, it is the manner of the defeat which hurts most.  The least you expect is for you players to look they are actually bothered and put in 100% effort.  We saw nothing of that today.

Tiote should't have been brought on. I feel a more attacking player should have been to contribute to the ineptness of the 4 midfielders. But nonetheless. It wasn't a red.

Like Who

Ranger was already on. The bench was bare. The squad outside of 12/13 players is woeful

Vuckic/Ferguson. Someone with attacking intent. Read my earlier long post.

It's horrific to think this but is it possible that there has been a mentality that no one wants to be unfit or unavailable for the Sunderland match - hence they have put minimum effort in today ?

It would be tremendously unprofessional, but entirely possible at the same time.

Tiote should't have been brought on. I feel a more attacking player should have been to contribute to the ineptness of the 4 midfielders. But nonetheless. It wasn't a red.

Like Who

Ranger was already on. The bench was bare. The squad outside of 12/13 players is woeful

Vuckic wasn't in the squad.

Like Who

Vuckic wasn't in the squad.

Ah...well somebody who wasn't a DM then.

No problem with Tiote coming on like. He's not an attacker himself but him being on the pitch increases Nolan's goal threat as well as being able to pass the ball to his team mates, something we couldn't do to save our lives. I was worried he wasn't fit but you can't not select someone because you're scared he'll get a red card else you shouldn't pick him full stop.

Guest neesy111

No problem with Tiote coming on like. He's not an attacker himself but him being on the pitch increases Nolan's goal threat as well as being able to pass the ball to his team mates, something we couldn't do to save our lives. I was worried he wasn't fit but you can't not select someone because you're scared he'll get a red card else you shouldn't pick him full stop.

Good point.

The fact is we should not be relying on 1 player for our whole midfield.

How do you know Tiote was fit?  He wasn't on the pitch long enough to prove his fitness.

Guest toonlass

Apparently the Stevenage player was punched for refusing to give the fan his shirt.

Source ?

Twitter, someone tweeted it. Can't see it being true, didn't look like they talked much before the prat lamped him.

Pardew actually said in the post-match interview that they were worried about Cheick before the game.

I can't make heads nor tails of it tbh. Magic of the cup or not, he's the first name on the teamsheet when it comes to the Premier League and he shouldn't have been risked.

Guest neesy111

Players were clearly drained 4 games in 11 days. Silly to put Tiote on they way things were going.

It's the same for all premiership clubs though.

Players were clearly drained 4 games in 11 days. Silly to put Tiote on they way things were going.

Then he should have played the fresher kids and not risked them ahead of the biggest game of the season next week.

There's no getting around it, he fucked this one up.

Guest toonlass

Then he should have played the fresher kids and not risked them ahead of the biggest game of the season next week.

There's no getting around it, he fucked this one up.

Come on man, these players should have it in them to beat Stevenage even if it's the third game in a week. They are League 2! Pardew played a strong team, thinking they had enough in them to beat Stevenage and get into the next round. Not his fault they played like turboshit!

Fatigue may well have played a part. We were fine for the first 15 minutes and I actually thought it was going to be easy. But the longer the game went on, the more we struggled.

The limitations of certain players got exposed tonight. When we needed to produce something extra under pressure, it wasn't there.

At least the Leon Best wankfest is over.

Come on man, these players should have it in them to beat Stevenage even if it's the third game in a week. They are League 2! Pardew played a strong team, thinking they had enough in them to beat Stevenage and get into the next round. Not his fault they played like turboshit!

It is his fault that they played shit, if they weren't playing then they wouldn't have been shit.

Fatigue may well have played a part. We were fine for the first 15 minutes and I actually thought it was going to be easy. But the longer the game went on, the more we struggled.

The limitations of certain players got exposed tonight. When we needed to produce something extra under pressure, it wasn't there.

Let's hope your Williamson wankfest is over too.

The players looked wrecked against West Ham, it was clear that they were wrecked and were still picked.