Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

Tiotes tackle was amazing, but too dangerous.  If he was late he would have snapped his leg in half.

He wouldn't have went in like that if he was going to be late man, so it can't be classed as dangerous imo. He knew he was getting to the ball well before the player. Perfect tackle.

Typical cup tie. They fluke a first goal. We're chasing the game, and then a hit and hope goes in.

There is always going to be a "big club" casualty in the 3rd round, where a good team has a terrible day, and the small team is really up for it. This year it was us. No reason to overreact, fair play to Stevenage.

It shouldn't reflect on the rest of the season, lets look forward to the Mackem match.

Typical cup tie. They fluke a first goal. We're chasing the game, and then a hit and hope goes in.

There is always going to be a "big club" casualty in the 3rd round, where a good team has a terrible day, and the small team is really up for it. This year it was us. No reason to overreact, fair play to Stevenage.

It shouldn't reflect on the rest of the season, lets look forward to the Mackem match.

I'm sorry but that first line is bollocks.

Fluke first goal - aye, it was a deflection but you can't say they didn't deserve it nor that a goal wasn't coming.

We're chasing the game - err, did we?

Hit and hope - it was a very good strike from the lad.

Agree that Stevenage deserved it.

Guest neesy111

Players were clearly drained 4 games in 11 days. Silly to put Tiote on they way things were going.

It's the same for all premiership clubs though.

Most of the other big clubs have had more rotation than us.

Stevenage played 2 games in 3 days over NY.  So excuse of us being exhausted is a pathetic one imo.

Guest RowanB

It's interesting this Tiote tackle.

You can say he went in too heavy and could have broken the player's leg, but then any tackle can do a lot of damage if it's late. You could deem nearly every tackle as being a potential injury. OK, most challenges aren't anywhere near that heavy, but surely the excellent timing completely offsets that?

Fluke first goal - aye, it was a deflection but you can't say they didn't deserve it nor that a goal wasn't coming.

I'm assuming you've watched FA Cup 3rd round day before. Plenty of better teams than ours have come up against a lower team and had a tight game where they've looked shit.

To be honest, it breathes a bit of fresh air into a soulless corporate Sky Sports driven sport. If it wasn't us I would have loved  it. Gutted it was us, but it doesn't mean that our chances of survival are less, or that our squad is automatically shit. As things stand, I would rather have beat West Ham 5 - 0, and lost 3 -1 today, than the other way round.

I'm assuming you've watched FA Cup 3rd round day before. Plenty of better teams than ours have come up against a lower team and had a tight game where they've looked shit.

To be honest, it breathes a bit of fresh air into a soulless corporate Sky Sports driven sport. If it wasn't us I would have loved  it. Gutted it was us, but it doesn't mean that our chances of survival are less, or that our squad is automatically shit. As things stand, I would rather have beat West Ham 5 - 0, and lost 3 -1 today, than the other way round.

Of course I've watched round 3 before - what's that got to do with your shite points in your opening paragraph of the original post?

Guest RowanB

To be honest, I never thought we were very good, but we're a Premiership class team that has overachieved this season, and as a result has a great chance of being a Premiership team next season. Stevenage can have their day, but it doesn't stop them being a league 2 side. The joy they feel at having won that game is a reflection of our superiority.

To be honest, I never thought we were very good, but we're a Premiership class team that has overachieved this season, and as a result has a great chance of being a Premiership team next season. Stevenage can have their day, but it doesn't stop them being a league 2 side. The joy they feel at having won that game is a reflection of our superiority.

Really? I thought this result put the Newcastle > Stevenage inequality in real danger.

Of course I've watched round 3 before - what's that got to do with your shite points in your opening paragraph of the original post?

There were 4 points in my opening paragraph. The first 3 were factually correct. The last one is open to debate, and perhaps you're right, it was a great strike, in the same way Ronnie Radford's was. So I'll give you 3 -1.

The overall point of the post was I'm not going to overreact. It was a typical cup tie, which we all would have loved if it wasn't us. Arsenal were relatively equally as shit against Leeds today until the last few minutes. Doesn't mean Wenger is a shit manager, or that they won't be challenging for the title next week.

If we're not going to take the cup seriously and go all-out then it's never going to offer us anything but disappointment.

I just can't bring myself to be too gutted about this result, we just didn't seem to be bothered about going out. Being 'free to concentrate on the league' is such a big thing now. The cups will be totally meaningless in a few years.

Guest RowanB

Really? I thought this result put the Newcastle > Stevenage inequality in real danger.

I'm stating the obvious, but I think some people are actually losing the plot. It really is just one result. Awful performance, but the team's too strong to play that bad every week.

To be honest, it breathes a bit of fresh air into a soulless corporate Sky Sports driven sport. If it wasn't us I would have loved  it. Gutted it was us, but it doesn't mean that our chances of survival are less, or that our squad is automatically shit. As things stand, I would rather have beat West Ham 5 - 0, and lost 3 -1 today, than the other way round.

There were 4 points in my opening paragraph. The first 3 were factually correct. The last one is open to debate, and perhaps you're right, it was a great strike, in the same way Ronnie Radford's was. So I'll give you 3 -1.

The overall point of the post was I'm not going to overreact. It was a typical cup tie, which we all would have loved if it wasn't us. Arsenal were relatively equally as shit against Leeds today until the last few minutes. Doesn't mean Wenger is a shit manager, or that they won't be challenging for the title next week.

You'll give me 3-1. I'll give you 0-3.

Your points in the opening paragraph were all toilet, face it.

I'm not bothered about being out of the cup at all but to make out like Stevenage played like a typical 'nick a goal' lower league side in a cup tie, as opposed to boss us and perform better than us in all areas of the pitch is nonsense.

As for us 'chasing the game' - you're talking utter nonsense again - we didn't create one clear cut chance in the entire game - even Bartons goal wasn't what you could call a chance. We didn't bomb forward, our fullbacks barely crossed the halfway line and we had one up front for 95% of the 2nd half- so it's not like they nipped away on the break after we were dominating them with pressure.

They deserved it - no doubt, but this wasn't a lucky giant killing, this wasn't a freak performance, we were woeful and they were good.

Guest RowanB

I agree with Minhosa. We were thoroughly outplayed. I think people are more concerned about the manner of the defeat than the scoreline. I wouldn't mind so much, if we could at least say we were the dominant side!

One plus from this is Pardew will see which twats go missing when they get a chance.

Smith, Perch, Loven, and Routledge should be nowhere near a premiership side.

The tactics of playing longball is what puzzled me more.  Their back four found it easy against Best and Loven which is no surprise.

During the game I wasn't thinking we were being outplayed really. They were doing well to make the game congested and close us down, and we weren't passing the ball around enough.

It was basically a non-game that we took the wrong approach to creating chances and they got a boost from a highly lucky goal.

We play a game that suits these lower-league sides... pumping balls towards their giant CBs was never going to work, but it's our main tactic at the moment.

We'll agree to disagree. I'll take it back about the flukey strike, but I wouldn't read any more into this than a really off day by a team that have played a lot in the last couple of weeks. Might have been better off resting more players, rather than sticking with some players who have played a lot recently who didn't look up for it.

Wigan and West Ham are far better teams than Stevenage, and we haven't suddenly become shit in the space of 3 days.

One plus from this is Pardew will see which twats go missing when they get a chance.

Smith, Perch, Loven, and Routledge should be nowhere near a premieship side.

The tactics of playing longball is what puzzled me more.  Their back four found it easy against Best and Loven which is no surprise.

Our two worst players were Smith and Nolan. They forced the team to play it long because they don't actually know how to play in midfield. Both utterly hopeless.

Guest BooBoo

Smith, Perch, Loven, and Routledge should be nowhere near a premiership side.

The tactics of playing longball is what puzzled me more.  Their back four found it easy against Best and Loven which is no surprise.

You could arguably add Krul and Ranger to that list.

Guest RowanB

Actually, I agree Ian. I shouldn't have said we were thoroughly outplayed. Thoroughly nullifed is a better way of putting it.

During the game I wasn't thinking we were being outplayed really. They were doing well to make the game congested and close us down, and we weren't passing the ball around enough.

It was basically a non-game that we took the wrong approach to creating chances and they got a boost from a highly lucky goal.

We play a game that suits these lower-league sides... pumping balls towards their giant CBs was never going to work, but it's our main tactic at the moment.

They had more attempts on target, more attempts off target, more possession and more corners and were the only side that looked like scoring before their fortunate goal. I have no doubt they would've turned us over even if that had of flew wide.

We didn't turn up, our tactics were a hark back to the good old Souness/Allardyce days and our players looked fucked.

We'll agree to disagree. I'll take it back about the flukey strike, but I wouldn't read any more into this than a really off day by a team that have played a lot in the last couple of weeks. Might have been better off resting more players, rather than sticking with some players who have played a lot recently who didn't look up for it.

Wigan and West Ham are far better teams than Stevenage, and we haven't suddenly become shit in the space of 3 days.

:thup:

I'm not saying we've become shit but the selections and tactics left a huge amount to be desired.