Sunderland v Newcastle United pre-match thread - Sun 16th Jan at 12!

Beren

If we have Tiote and Carroll for this i'm very confident of a good result.

With Smith coming in for Tiote and partnering Nolan in our slowest midfield ever then anyone could over run us (i.e. stevenage), plus the prospect of Routledge on the wing just fills me with....something not good.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/01/11/united-sweating-on-star-striker-andy-carroll-72703-27965818/?

Pardew told the Chronicle: As far as Andy [Carroll] is concerned, we will have to wait and see we dont know yet.

I have not spoken to Andy and wont do until he gets back.

I have left him to his own devices.

We are going to have to patch ourselves up this week.

Hopefully we will have a couple of bodies back, but we wont realistically know until Thursday.

And if Carroll does not play, Pardew must figure out whether to start with Peter Lovenkrands, Leon Best, Shola Ameobi or Nile Ranger with Kevin Nolan also an option in attack.

Pardew said: Weve got Leon Best and hopefully Shola available too.

But Shola we will know more about by Thursday.

As for the rest, well have to wait and see at the end of the week.

i think carroll is lying on his sunbed recharging his batteries and is definately playing on Sunday or he has a serious problem that will keep him out for 6-8wk period.  If he was borderline to play on Sunday like Pardew is making out  then he'd have been on the treatment table for the last week getting extensive treatment to try and get him fit for the match.

Even if they edge it, we can still claim a goal difference win over the two legs. ;)

Exactly, this is the first derby in ages I don't feel really nervous about. Unless they beat us heavily, which they don't do to anyone regularly, we hold the bragging rights for the season.

I don't feel nervous about it because I've already come to terms with the fact we will probably lose, as I don't believe Nolan and Smith are capable of competing as a central midfield pairing. You are only as good as your last win so the bragging rights will be pretty worthless unless we get a point.

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

Even if they edge it, we can still claim a goal difference win over the two legs. ;)

Exactly, this is the first derby in ages I don't feel really nervous about. Unless they beat us heavily, which they don't do to anyone regularly, we hold the bragging rights for the season.

I don't feel nervous about it because I've already come to terms with the fact we will probably lose, as I don't believe Nolan and Smith are capable of competing as a central midfield pairing. You are only as good as your last win so the bragging rights will be pretty worthless unless we get a point.

Now this lad speaks sense.

The 5-1 still hurts you doesnt it?

You a regular or just one of the 15,000 going along on Sunday because it's Newcastle ?

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

The 5-1 still hurts you doesnt it?

Aye

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

You a regular or just one of the 15,000 going along on Sunday because it's Newcastle ?

Working mate. Very rarely get to any games.

Ah well, at least you've got a job.

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

Haha, I'm at Uni as well. Impressive eh.

Newcastle Uni per chance?

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

Nah, Northumbria mate. Close enough though aye?

Like anyone from Sunderland gets into Newcastle.

A lad from Pennywell got 2 Ds and a C last year and was paraded through the streets.

Guest Sir Mike Ashley

Like anyone from Sunderland gets into Newcastle.

A lad from Pennywell got 2 Ds and a C last year and was paraded through the streets.

Hahaha, wish i was from Sunderland like. Getting paraded through the streets of Pennywell is something i can only dream of.

No Tiote and probably no new signings by Sunday, this is the team I'd play:

Harper

Simpson  Willi  Colo  Enrique

Barton  Nolan            Jonas

Ameobi  Carroll

:thup:

Out: Tiote, Saylor, Raylor, HBA,

In doubt: Carroll, Ameobi, Jonas, Gosling

:/

Harper

Simmo    Willicinni  Jose

Smith