The Cost of Carroll?

Minhosa
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There's already a poll in the AC thread but I'd be interested to know, what with the constant speculation, what you would consider a fair price, if any, for the big lad.

Also, it'll be interesting to re-visit this as the season (and he) progresses to see if attitudes change.

For the purposes of the poll you can consider the + player(s) element to mean a player, or players, who would add depth to the squad but not necessarily be star names/world beaters (examples being Keane, Larsson, Bentley, SWP etc etc). They would likely get in the first team, not let anybody down but we would be unlikely to ship them on at a profit.

Me - I'd hate to see him leave but £30m is a load of money and I think if he's 'found out' next season which results in lesser performances/interest we may look back and wish we'd taken the big money whilst there was interest (Dyer being an example of this - significant interest from Man Utd when playing well, he then went on to enjoy a career of injuries and mediocrity in the main).

As there would be less than two weeks left to find a goalscorer to replace him for the remainder of this season, I'd value him at £80m. That is the cost of us going down and struggling to get back up again.

Not at any price. I don't care how deluded that sounds, I'm a football fan and a Newcastle fan and money in the coffers ultimately means fuck all to me.

I think many will echo this view with the concern about the money being re-invested in the squad.

If it was under a different board, with the fee likely to be re-invested, would your view differ at all?

Not at any price. I don't care how deluded that sounds, I'm a football fan and a Newcastle fan and money in the coffers ultimately means fuck all to me.

I think many will echo this view with the concern about the money being re-invested in the squad.

If it was under a different board, with the fee likely to be re-invested, would your view differ at all?

In this window, no. There is simply no time.

£30m is a good deal for us but not at this moment in time. As said we'd be unable to find a suitable replacement in this window and even if the deal took place in the summer I'd have no little confidence and some serious reservations whether the current management set up would be able to do the re-investing that wisely or to the full tune of the money received.

In this window, no. There is simply no time.

Put this window to one side, if this was July what would you accept, if anthing?

Guest Haris Vuckic

No amount of money is worth it because we wont get someone who works as hard as Andy - plus I have very little faith in the money being reinvested anyway.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Not at any price.

Doesn't matter how much we get, we won't spend it.

Also, selling our best player, one of our players with the most potential in the squad would be a utterly stupid thing to do, what kind of message does that send?

Not at any price.

Doesn't matter how much we get, we won't spend it.

Also, selling our best player, one of our players with the most potential in the squad would be a utterly stupid thing to do, what kind of message does that send?

Particularly one that cost us nothing in transfer fees and isn't on silly wages.

Not to mention the effect on team spirit.

Sell Carroll and you can be sure a few others will want to take off, too.

No. I don't want to see any of our better players sold, but he is one of the few who I really can't understand being associated with any of these figures; let the board worry about shit like that. I just care about who turns out in the shirt for us, and the ones who I'm proud of, I want to keep. £10m, £30m, £50m, who gives a toss.

He is a player who could help the club get somewhere, a local lad, and a future England international. Why would anyone want to give that up? :idiot2:

/Let alone adding to the feeling of the inevitability of his sale by continualy speculating in fkn threads like these. :angry:

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/01/16/pardew-reveals-he-s-turned-down-player-bids-79310-27993548/

Pardew reveals he's turned down player bids

Jan 16 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE United have turned down substantial offers for their star men during the transfer window, Alan Pardew has revealed.

The United boss admits progress has been slow in his bid to bring in left-sided reinforcements, but is more encouraged by the club’s firm approach to keeping hold of their best players – which has seen them rebuff a string of “serious” enquiries.

Pardew was staying tight-lipped but the interest – described as “smoke and mirrors stuff” by the Toon boss – is understood to centre around star striker Andy Carroll and midfielder Joey Barton, who is in negotiations over a new long-term United deal of around four-and-a-half years.

Spurs have been in touch over Carroll while West Ham have made an approach for Barton – and could be keen on Kevin Nolan.

“It’s very important that the crux of our team stays and we’ve had some offers for our players and we’ve done very, very well so far to kill them off.

“An introduction of a new player next week – on the back of a good result – would be a big fillip. The world works in a weird, mysterious way. You get muted offers - ‘Would you do if this was the offer?’. It’s smoke and mirrors and it’s ridiculous.

“When you’re not a Champions League team and you’ve got good players, teams that are struggling will look to the middle of the table to try and get something out of it.

So far we’ve said to them all ‘Put your money on the table’ and no-one has. If they did they’re going to find it very, very difficult. That shows our ambition.”

Hope someone doesn't call our bluff.

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/01/16/pardew-reveals-he-s-turned-down-player-bids-79310-27993548/

Pardew reveals he's turned down player bids

Jan 16 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE United have turned down substantial offers for their star men during the transfer window, Alan Pardew has revealed.

The United boss admits progress has been slow in his bid to bring in left-sided reinforcements, but is more encouraged by the club’s firm approach to keeping hold of their best players – which has seen them rebuff a string of “serious” enquiries.

Pardew was staying tight-lipped but the interest – described as “smoke and mirrors stuff” by the Toon boss – is understood to centre around star striker Andy Carroll and midfielder Joey Barton, who is in negotiations over a new long-term United deal of around four-and-a-half years.

Spurs have been in touch over Carroll while West Ham have made an approach for Barton – and could be keen on Kevin Nolan.

“It’s very important that the crux of our team stays and we’ve had some offers for our players and we’ve done very, very well so far to kill them off.

“An introduction of a new player next week – on the back of a good result – would be a big fillip. The world works in a weird, mysterious way. You get muted offers - ‘Would you do if this was the offer?’. It’s smoke and mirrors and it’s ridiculous.

“When you’re not a Champions League team and you’ve got good players, teams that are struggling will look to the middle of the table to try and get something out of it.

So far we’ve said to them all ‘Put your money on the table’ and no-one has. If they did they’re going to find it very, very difficult. That shows our ambition.”

Hope someone doesn't call our bluff.

The second part of that sentence needs to stand

Getting a huge sum of money for Carroll whilst pleasing fat Mike's accountant would do nothing to help our cause this season or next. As we're currently experiencing in this transfer window players are very reluctant to come here with the kind of offers we're putting on the table. Mike really isn't going to change his ways and open his wallet if Carroll goes, it will just be a case of same old same old but with a huge part of the way we've been playing missing. Money doesn't score goals and win matches.