Having patience with our players

Lotus

Its the Toon way.

We do well. We are the best.

We do badly. We are the worst.

Player scores a goal. Best the world has ever seen.

Player makes mistake. He should be shot.

Manager wins a game. Messiah.

Manager loses a game. Manager Out.

Its the Toon way.

We do well. We are the best.

We do badly. We are the worst.

Player scores a goal. Best the world has ever seen.

Player makes mistake. He should be shot.

Manager wins a game. Messiah.

Manager loses a game. Manager Out.

speak for yourself

Coloccini and Enrique were two of our better peformers during 08-09, they were just easier targets for the media than the likes of Butt and Owen. Both of whom slipped into abysmal form in the latter half of the season.

I've defended all three of the ones you picked out, but then I'm not one to get on a players back and instead place a bit of faith in their employers who see them more than a couple of hours a week. As it is those 'black sheep' have all played a part this season, just support them as long as they are here. Simples.

/That doesn't mean I don't call them ballbags when they fuck up mid/post game mind. :angry:

Lots of peeps wrote off Enrique, very few defended him (i did though  :angel:) now he's great!

Lots of peeps wrote off Colo, very few defended him (Ronaldo and Teasy did though) now he's great!

Lots of peeps wrote off AC9, after Man City that time i thought (and many others) that he just didn't have it in him. Now he's great!

Simpson: Got better against better opposition. Go figure!

Barton, bit of both from all posters, his value is evident now, so much good goes through him.

So, maybe we need to have a bit more patience with players, maybe some need a year or two to really show some form.

Current black sheep are:

Guthrie: beefs up (body and mind), tries to impose himself, is there a player in there? I reckon there is. Needs to seriously grow some stones though. Time on his side. Possible.

Perch: Good athlete. Looking out of his depth. If he learns to read the game better then i reckon he's got the physical attributes to have a career at this level. Remember the slating Jose used to get? People had NO time for him. Maybe Perch can come good or at least better than he is currently.

Loverkrands: Too old to adapt for me.

Ranger: Needs to figure what he wants out of life. If it's football then he needs to make sure all his choices outside of football reflect that.

Smith: I think we're all agreed on this one.

Routledge: Difficult this one for me. Hasn't got a great 1st touch imo. Scared to take a chance often. He has a bit of a mental block at this level it seems. I reckon he's worth persisting with.

Jonas: I think he takes a lot of pressure of the team. I also think he'd benefit greatly from having HBA playing in the same side. Looks tired too.

So, who do you think it's worth keeping and trying to develop them?

Fixed your post :D

It's not like José Enrique was a Spanish boy you found tending tables at the pub around the corner... Spanish international at all youth levels, he was in the fringes of our NT when you signed him...

Then why the funk is he not in the national team now!!

Didn't Villarreal replace him with Capdevilla after he left?

Yes, they bought Capdevila from Depor.

Going abroad usually hurts your NT chances in Spain, unless you're aready established or play in a big team (sorry). The relegation didn't help either. He's off the radar for now but let's see what the next callups are. Capdevila is 33, Amorebieta seems to have chosen Venezuela, Arbeloa is average... I suppose Del Bosque will go for Monreal/Arbeloa for now but we'll see.

Oh really? Will that make him the first 'foreign' player to play for Athletic since Lizarazu? Infact isn't he more of a natural CB anyway?

It's a crying shame for Enrique if he can't get in ahead of that bunch tbh.

He also plays as LB. And he would be the second player to play for another national team (not really "foreign") in Bilbao's history yes.

And yes I rate José Enrique above Monreal/Arbeloa, we have much less talent on the left than on the right though. We also have San José or Domínguez that can play on the left, but are natural CBs.

It's not like José Enrique was a Spanish boy you found tending tables at the pub around the corner... Spanish international at all youth levels, he was in the fringes of our NT when you signed him...

Going abroad usually hurts your NT chances in Spain, unless you're aready established or play in a big team (sorry). The relegation didn't help either. He's off the radar for now but let's see what the next callups are. Capdevila is 33, Amorebieta seems to have chosen Venezuela, Arbeloa is average... I suppose Del Bosque will go for Monreal/Arbeloa for now but we'll see.

Oh really? Will that make him the first 'foreign' player to play for Athletic since Lizarazu? Infact isn't he more of a natural CB anyway?

He also plays as LB. And he would be the second player to play for another national team (not really "foreign") in Bilbao's history yes.

And yes I rate José Enrique above Monreal/Arbeloa, we have much less talent on the left than on the right though. We also have San José or Domínguez that can play on the left, but are natural CBs.

is there any buzz at all in the spanish media about Enrique? arent you a sports journalist or something - maybe you could pull a few strings.  :snod:

it took the british media and fans of other clubs long enough to pick up on Enrique, but now they're raving about him.

is there any buzz at all in the spanish media about Enrique? arent you a sports journalist or something - maybe you could pull a few strings.  :snod:

it took the british media and fans of other clubs long enough to pick up on Enrique, but now they're raving about him.

Remember when some paper (Mirror or Sun?) had him down as one of the worst signings in the Premiership? :lol:  Fucking morons.

There's no buzz about him. As said, players on foreign teams usually fall off the radar unless they are top European sides or Liverpool.

I'm not a sports journalist, my bro is but he mainly covers basketball.

With our history of shite overpriced defenders, I think we can be forgiven for thinking Colo was another one. I certainly did at the time.

Aye, obviously we all love him now but for large parts of the relegation season he was absolutely shite and Bassong looked the far better player.

You can argue about specific players all day, but the general message is 100% true. Players and managers/coaches are judged far too quickly in all sports. There is very little patience in sports (and life) these days. Young, developing players are expected to be superstars immediately even though history has shown us that sometimes it takes years for them to develop. Managers and coaches are expected to win immediately even though they might be dealing with a mess left by their predecessor.

:thup:

There's no buzz about him. As said, players on foreign teams usually fall off the radar unless they are top European sides or Liverpool.

I'm not a sports journalist, my bro is but he mainly covers basketball.

Funny!

I'll certainly hold my hands up when it comes to Nolan. Hated him after we'd signed him, he was rank during his first six months here. I wasn't even sure about him in the Championship, even when he scored goal after goal. I've completely turned around now, think he's a fantastic character, his attitude is spot on, and he's playing very well. The fact that he pissed off the mackems so much yesterday is the icing on the cake.

I think it's a fair point but also other factors have to be taken into consideration such as seeing flashes of what a player is capable of or having seen them perform to a good enough level else where to be truly afforded patience. Some times (in the case of Perch) you have to accept that he's turbo shit.

Coloccini and Enrique were two of our better peformers during 08-09, they were just easier targets for the media than the likes of Butt and Owen. Both of whom slipped into abysmal form in the latter half of the season.

I'd agree with that. There were problems with both adapting to the pace of the premier but if you didn't just look at the negatives it was clear even then that they had some fantastic defensive attributes. The player who has probably got a lot of stick off me is Nolan and he's had a great season so far in goal terms at least. I think he'll have a hard time against Spurs though. I didn't want him here because I prefer players who are mobile.

You can argue about specific players all day, but the general message is 100% true. Players and managers/coaches are judged far too quickly in all sports. There is very little patience in sports (and life) these days. Young, developing players are expected to be superstars immediately even though history has shown us that sometimes it takes years for them to develop. Managers and coaches are expected to win immediately even though they might be dealing with a mess left by their predecessor.

I was going to reply to this thread until I read this post, now I have nothing to add to what was said.

Coloccini was a well known full international as well, won't stop people getting on players backs early on.