John Carver

Guest neesy111

This whole debacle would be a little easier to stomach if he'd just have a f***ing go at the opposition. If we started the next game with a front 3 of Cabella, De Jong & Perez with Ryan Taylor nowhere near the starting line up and we still lose, fair enough.  But starting games with Jonas & R Taylor and our creative players consigned to the bench is suicide.  It hasn't worked and it never will. Change something you fat cretin!

:thup:

It just highlights how important intelligence is in a football manager and not genius level intelligence, just an IQ above 50.

Identify that something isn't working and change it to try and improve things - not exactly A-level Maths is it?

A fucking baked potato could see that we can't defend for shit, that hoofing the ball to small players is retarded and that Ryan Taylor has been totally counter-productive for 2 months.  So instead of actually 'managing', Pauline Quirk persists with a defensive set-up that plays hoof ball and sees set pieces as our best chance of scoring.  He leaves pace, creativity and goal threat on the bench and then seems incredulous when we lose for an eighth consecutive game.

You are the problem John, YOU!!

All we can hope is that this weekend has  convinced him to play Cabella, Abeid etc against West Brom. Even he knows that something needs to be changed.

That, plus the returns of Sissoko, De Jong, Cisse and Aarons could be enough. As long as WBA have no set pieces!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/05/0f4b4e096938c66ca158ba88b83c4183.jpg

From the man himself

Scary stuff. :anguish:

So a well thought out and intelligent tactical plan executed by a team of highly motivated and drilled players has f*** all to do with winning games and success

From the man himself

Scary stuff. :anguish:

So a well thought out and intelligent tactical plan executed by a team of highly motivated and drilled players has f*** all to do with winning games and success

Of course not. Don't be so naive.

All we can hope is that this weekend has  convinced him to play Cabella, Abeid etc against West Brom. Even he knows that something needs to be changed.

That, plus the returns of Sissoko, De Jong, Cisse and Aarons could be enough. As long as WBA have no set pieces!

I thought Cisse was out for the season now? Dodgy leg?

From the man himself

:lol: jesus christ almighty

So then what's the point of being a manager? Fuckin hell it's getting worse...

People simply don't understand management at all.  It's no miracle that a club is doing terribly and then with a change of manager the same players look ten times better.  The same people blaming our players and putting it all on them will be lining up to praise Tim Sherwood at Villa.  Look how bad they were and the change of the man at the top has made them twice the side they were.  The same goes for people now praising Pardew for the job he did here and saying we shouldn't have gotten rid of him.  How can they say stuff like that and then put it all on the players?  It's total nonsense, from people so thick I wouldn't trust them to tie their own shoes.

We got rid of Souness and the feel good factor was so strong we won the next game 3-0.  That's the problem with Carver, he's now a dark cloud hanging over the club and it has been that way for a long time now.  If he stays we go down, if he goes and we appointed no one, we'd still have a better chance of staying up.  Even no tactical plan is better than 'boot it to Willo'.

Carver will be lucky to ever have a job after this one and I'm sick of this 'local lad' and 'good football man' stuff that gets trotted out.  It's the rubbish that keeps all these crap failures circling the drain of management for decades longer than they should.  It gets quoted as experience, when in reality you'd be better off trusting unproven ability than proven failure, just because of 'experience.'

There's just too many fools involved in Football and none of them seem to properly understand psychology, human nature, or strategy and game theory of any kind.  Sadly there seems to be more in Britain than anywhere else, where all these myths about management and 'good football men' are perpetuated on our TV's every week.  It's holding Newcastle's football back massively and it's the same thing that keeps holding England's football back too.

Great post. It continues to amaze me how simple the football discussion in England is. It's always so general and just scratching the surface. Seems like most people think that the managers job is to pick a formation, pick the team, "motivate" them and make subsitutions. You rarely see managers talking about anything concrete. It's always "we lacked a bit of urgency" or "we couldnt deal with this or that" or other nonsence.

Where's the discussion about actual models of play? And I'm not talking about "playing posession football", "parking the buss" or "lumping it forward". About models that the team has drilled over and over again in practice and that guide everything they do on the pitch. Where they move or look for a pass in a certain situation. Are the players receiving the ball in a body position that is positive and open towards the play? Or are they constantly receiving it in a negative position? (in Newcastle it's the latter)

Just for an example my own team (that I support I mean, not play for hah) plays in the 3rd highest division in Finland and this is basicly what the manager said in the match report after winning 1-0 today (free translation).

"Worst game we've played since I came here. We didnt work collectively and it was very hard to find any of the models in the game that we've been practicing and succesfully implemented in previous games. Build up was too static and slow. In the build up phase our positions we're constantly negative and impractical. The movements the forwards made were poor. Anticipation, timing and reactions to play in defence were also poor."

Jesus. How refreshing it would be to some day hear a Newcastle manager talk about football like this instead of the same old phrases. Someone who actually had an idea of how he wants his team to play football and the knowledge to coach them in a way that they could implement his ideas on the pitch.

Maybe the managers are just serving up what the public wants but I would seriously be intrigued to visit the training in Newcastle to see what actually happens there and what kind of things are discussed.

edit: and to be clear I'm not saying this is typical Finnish football discussion. No way. But considering the level of English football you'd think the talk around it would be a little bit more in depth.

Two great posts.

I'm so angry I could explode  :lol:

This idiot is even more clueless than I could have ever imagined.

That quote about systems meaning nothing is all you need to know about this idiot. We are so screwed man.

Jonas and Raylor in midfield, and I didn't see a single pundit question this at any point over the weekend!

English football (English players, managers and coaches) are about 15 yrs behind the rest of Europe. Only time English teams compete these days in Europe is if nearly the whole team are foreign with a foreign coach.

Simple things like players making themselves available is practically non-existent in our games. We play a kind of pinball/potluck football most of the time with little hoofs or chips into general areas.

Simple things like players making themselves available is practically non-existent in our games. We play a kind of pinball/potluck football most of the time with little hoofs or chips into general areas.

And in the rare occasions they make themselves available they are static or moving towards our goal when receiving the ball. Never in a positive movement towards the opposition.

And in the rare occasions they make themselves available they are static or moving towards our goal when receiving the ball. Never in a positive movement towards the opposition.

Yup there are certain situations that happen during a game over and over again and a good coach normally models or formats positional awareness to deal with these.

From the practice ground players should know where their team mates will be in different areas or phases of the game and also have alternatives this smooths the possession play and rids the need for panic or bad passes. This kind of thinking is light years away for us.

Look how solid Chelsea are, how drilled and the huge amount of discipline...Man Utd have some of that but are often negative on the ball and don't transition dangerously as say Arsenal do. Spurs are normally all over the place but somehow magic goalscoring chances just by players over and over again making the same runs. The key is continuity - the teams struggling at the bottom don't have it.

It is about systems and they have a major impact along with player quality...Every time Pulis imposes his system on a side they start winning and mostly that takes a couple of months.

Yup there are certain situations that happen during a game over and over again and a good coach normally models or formats positional awareness to deal with these.

From the practice ground players should know where their team mates will be in different areas or phases of the game and also have alternatives this smooths the possession play and rids the need for panic or bad passes. This kind of thinking is light years away for us.

Look how solid Chelsea are, how drilled and the huge amount of discipline...Man Utd have some of that but are often negative on the ball and don't transition dangerously as say Arsenal do. Spurs are normally all over the place but somehow magic goalscoring chances just by players over and over again making the same runs. The key is continuity - the teams struggling at the bottom don't have it.

Exactly. In my eyes we're and have been completely dependant on the individual skill of the players to transform a negative position into a positive when receiving the ball. It's been like this for ages but now the skill level of the players on the pitch makes the lack of system jump out even more. They are unable to make that flashy turn or dribble to advance the play. Under Pardew when we were doing well and finishing 5th there was no system either. We just had skillful players high on confidence. Now that we have neither the team has nothing to fall back to. No basic way to play the game. It's an utter mess.