West Ham to get Olympic Stadium

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

fuck that, don't bother on my account just assumed you'd know

if what you've just quoted there is correct it's fuckin mental, why would anyone agree to something that would guarantee an 8-9bn loss? :lol:  in fact not just agree to it, bid for it?

The figure can at most be upped to £10bn in time in the most optimistic forecasts, however that involves pretty much moving money from one pot to another, buying back assets, land etc, then moving it to another pot etc. Basically the income can be manipulated to say it generated £10bn but that is precisely that, manipulating figures and moving the same money around 3 or 4 times over. The real level of income will never be above the £2.4bn.

Didn't like the Olympics in London myself, only good thing was that it was easy to get a drink in town or book a restaurant as it turned off so many visitors. It was a massive pain in my area as there were so many restrictions  and changes made that were way over the top (they built a temporary bridge at my train station).

I travel a lot people did bring it up but it wasn't too big a deal in my experience people overseas were much more interested in the Royal wedding.

Paralympics were much better as it did belong "more to the people" and I had a good time at the two events I went to but this no way justifies the money that was spent in securing the Olympics.

Also an absolute disgrace what they did to Greenwich Park. Place still looks a dump many months afterwards and this is a World Heritage site that gets a lot of visitors. The place is looking  a little bit better now but this is what it was like until very recently. Large parts of the park will have been out of use for nearly a year by the time it's fully reopened.

http://www.trust.org/resize_image?path=/dotAsset/6aca7ce7-771e-46d3-9247-626ff6b19471.jpg&w=649

just a few things to threow into the mix, stiflers financial breakdown doesn't include monies spent by visitors and participants who wouldn't have been here otherwise (balanced off naturally against those that stayed away because of it).

it was affordable, the proof being that people did afford it when they didn't need to, they chose to, it's not like it's a utility.

it's all very clever to now say "we should've spent the money elsewhere" now, at the time of the bidding, the award and till very recently the games were looking good to make a profit.

as for the white elephant part, that is as much down to the economy, tory government and the way britain works as the sensible thibg would have been for the olympic stadium to be the national stadium for rugby and football, athletics etc but not, we can't do it like that, instead we have to have 3 huge stadia massively overpriced and underused. why ? because there is a lack of intergration at all levels of british bureaucracy.

The fact you put in a pointless dig about the Tories shows your agenda in that post madras.  Labour did all the plans for it.

wrong again, labour had plans for post games, which would've cost but they'd have seen them through, the tories have none because they don't actually give a shit as it doesn't affect them (thats their credo, theres plenty of evidence)

I have to say I'm disappointed by the fact that you have had to insinuate some sort of mental defect just because you don't agree with me. I thought you were a better person than that. In all honesty to me thats slander and I would quite rightly have grounds to take legal action against you.

Bwahahahaa!

I have to say I'm disappointed by the fact that you have had to insinuate some sort of mental defect just because you don't agree with me. I thought you were a better person than that. In all honesty to me thats slander and I would quite rightly have grounds to take legal action against you.

Bwahahahaa!

Slander  :lol:

Didn't like the Olympics in London myself, only good thing was that it was easy to get a drink in town or book a restaurant as it turned off so many visitors. It was a massive pain in my area as there were so many restrictions  and changes made that were way over the top (they built a temporary bridge at my train station).

I travel a lot people did bring it up but it wasn't too big a deal in my experience people overseas were much more interested in the Royal wedding.

Paralympics were much better as it did belong "more to the people" and I had a good time at the two events I went to but this no way justifies the money that was spent in securing the Olympics.

Also an absolute disgrace what they did to Greenwich Park. Place still looks a dump many months afterwards and this is a World Heritage site that gets a lot of visitors. The place is looking  a little bit better now but this is what it was like until very recently. Large parts of the park will have been out of use for nearly a year by the time it's fully reopened.

http://www.trust.org/resize_image?path=/dotAsset/6aca7ce7-771e-46d3-9247-626ff6b19471.jpg&w=649

Yeah, I lived right next to Greenwich park for a year. A massive inconvenience to the local residents with the whole park shut for so long and the damage after. Still, I guess the olympivs doesnt happen so often!

Yeah, they're small, so f*** 'em.

Don't get me wrong, they're my second team. IIRC it's against League regulations for anyone other than the O's to move in, as it's too close to Brisbane Rd.

I read something of the sort too. I've got a slight soft spot for Orient, because I lived near there for a little while in the 80s, and went along to their matches once or twice when they were in the fourth division and Frank Clark was the manager. Certainly, as a club that's historically stumbled from one financial crisis to another, it's going to make their life even more difficult if a Premier League club moves in down the road.

Bwahahahaa!

Confirmed for mad.

In fairness skyscrapercity site is an excellent site, for checking out stadium & sporting venue information ie. costing, post-event planning, the evolution (including venue upgrades) of stadiums with celebrated history. In this context, there probably isn't a rival site as good. Minutes, from council/planning commitee etc meetings are often included.

• 1 month later...

So let me get this right, he said it was wrong for West Ham to move in on his clubs area but he is now prepared to do the same thing. Lets face it there isn't an area in London that doesn't already have a club, if a club wants to or needs to change ground then it is unlikely that area around it's location is going to become available.