West Ham to get Olympic Stadium

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

I'd rather whoever gets it has to keep the stadium, not demolish it to build another one in the same f***ing place.

This. I'm not even English so couldn't care less who gets it, but this sounds incredibly wasteful.

That is what they are doing.  The question is that Spurs want to rip-up the running track  for more seats and also to make sure the atmosphere is better.

West Ham want to keep it and use as multi purpose sports arena including hosting T20 matches for Essex.

Why should either get it? They've hardly got tiny stadiums as things stand at the moment, and Spuds have planning permission to redevelop WHL.

I think the main reason is that for the 'Olympic Legacy' they need to give the stadium over to something other than one or two athletics meets a year.

I would hate to see Spurs leave Tottenham, it's a bad enough area and the football club is pretty much the only thing it has going for it.

I'd rather whoever gets it has to keep the stadium, not demolish it to build another one in the same f***ing place.

This. I'm not even English so couldn't care less who gets it, but this sounds incredibly wasteful.

On the face of it, it's an awful option, but the truth of the matter is that the British Olympic Committee got it totally wrong when they opted for an 'ecological blueprint' for the Olympic Stadium which amongst other things involved using less than 50% of the amount of steel that would normally be required for a structure of this size.  Yes, it may look great now but using inadequate materials will severely affect the longetivity of the stadium.  The Millenium Dome had a life expectancy of 25 years before its conversion into the O2 and by all accounts the Olympic Stadium's lifespan isn't expected to be much longer.

One of the people involved in the Olympic project summed up the situation when said "The Olympic Park is amazing. The other venues are all astounding and built with very sound futures ahead of them, either through continued use or revised use following the games.

The Olympic Stadium is not. It is poorly designed and badly thought out. It will be phenomenal for the experience of a few weeks of summer sport - after that, it needs to be pulled down if it isn't to become a shabby wasteland that blights the Elizabeth Park (what the Olympic Park will become after the games)"

On the face of it, it's an awful option, but the truth of the matter is that the British Olympic Committee got it totally wrong when they opted for an 'ecological blueprint' for the Olympic Stadium which amongst other things involved using less than 50% of the amount of steel that would normally be required for a structure of this size.  Yes, it may look great now but using inadequate materials will severely affect the longetivity of the stadium.  The Millenium Dome had a life expectancy of 25 years before its conversion into the O2 and by all accounts the Olympic Stadium's lifespan isn't expected to be much longer.

One of the people involved in the Olympic project summed up the situation when said "The Olympic Park is amazing. The other venues are all astounding and built with very sound futures ahead of them, either through continued use or revised use following the games.

The Olympic Stadium is not. It is poorly designed and badly thought out. It will be phenomenal for the experience of a few weeks of summer sport - after that, it needs to be pulled down if it isn't to become a shabby wasteland that blights the Elizabeth Park (what the Olympic Park will become after the games)"

i thought "legacy" was a major part of the bid in that the stadium had to stay as it was for the furtherment of sport in general, particularly track and field. can't see how letting a football team have it would fulfill that.

Guest optimistic nit

I care as much about this as I do when I hear the London Underground is closed due strikes.

lucky that whether you care or not has absolutely no importance then.

i thought "legacy" was a major part of the bid in that the stadium had to stay as it was for the furtherment of sport in general, particularly track and field. can't see how letting a football team have it would fulfill that.

Most of the Stadia from previous Olympic games are not used apparently.

What's the current capacity BTW?

If a club could use it while keeping the running track and also allowing it to be used for athletics, I would go for that. I know a running track's not ideal in a football ground, but it's not the end of the world.

Spurs' plan is to spend £20/30m making Crystal Palace a world class athletics venue.  I think that is a more sensible solution instead of keeping a running track between the fans and the pitch ..................... as much as I dislike the idea of moving to Stratford.

Guest Roger Kint

What's the current capacity BTW?

If a club could use it while keeping the running track and also allowing it to be used for athletics, I would go for that. I know a running track's not ideal in a football ground, but it's not the end of the world.

Spurs' plan is to spend £20/30m making Crystal Palace a world class athletics venue.  I think that is a more sensible solution instead of keeping a running track between the fans and the pitch ..................... as much as I dislike the idea of moving to Stratford.

Will the Spurs solution mean the taxpayer gets 100% of the cost back?

Guest Hardy_Bucks

Why should either get it? They've hardly got tiny stadiums as things stand at the moment, and Spuds have planning permission to redevelop WHL.

Exactly, whats wrong with Upton Park especially if they developed the east stand neither it or WHL are falling apart and spurs have planning permission to redevelop WHL anyway!

Exactly, whats wrong with Upton Park especially if they developed the east stand neither it or WHL are falling apart and spurs have planning permission to redevelop WHL anyway!

I agree, the only opposite point is that they have to do something with the thing after the Olympics.

Guest Hardy_Bucks

I agree, the only opposite point is that they have to do something with the thing after the Olympics.

There's plenty of alternative uses for it...

Monster trucking, garden centre, a Running Man venue, Witherspoon's, public executions... Tesco express?

Lots of teams play outside their regions of origin. Pretty sure the Rebook isn't inside Bolton city limits for example.

Doesn't stop me giving s*** to Espanyol for moving out of Barcelona, mind. At least we don't have to put up with the stench.

Still within the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton though.