Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

Gota laugh at all the anger on here because we did not sit back late on.. All I heard at the match was 40 odd thousand Geordie's screaming or another.

I think we may have lost it had we tried to sit back, 1st half we sat to deep for my liking, Spuds will always go until the end.. we nodded off as we did vs the Scum

Yeah am gutted we did not hold on but I REALLY enjoyed a good game of football.

Calm head now, promise.

First half, they were the better team (for all their diving and cheating) and they probably should have scored through Defoe. Harper played well and the defence was relatively good. Jonas was terrible and continued to do the exact same thing over and over again, there was a run where the ball crossed the line and I think he did it twice in the space of 90 seconds or so. We didn't offer alot going forward and yet we still should have scored and were unlucky not to.

Second half we came out so much better and with a bit more freedom. Colo's goal was a typical striker's finish and I've not heard a roar like it this season. As the game became stretched, we maintained a decent shape and the defence were disciplined and did well (Colo and Williamson in particular sparked their decent partnership again). As the space became available, Jonas improved leaps and bounds and played like a different player in the second half. His crossing in particular looked so much better.

Guthrie had a decent game and it was sad to see him go off (more sad to see who was coming on). Ranger and Lovenkrands offered us a different perspective on things upfront, but whilst both were massive improvements, they both arguably should have scored. Barton's ball to Lovenkrands was absolutely perfect and a touch either side of the keeper would have been curtains on the game. Ranger did well to fashion the chance that he did, and whilst he arguably should have had an opportunity to shoot, I can't help but feel what might have been had he squared it to Perch who was in a glorious position for a tap in.

We got ahead of ourselves and committed too many people forward chasing a second. There was a massive gap left by Simpson (or whoever should have been covering him at RB) and Lennon was always going to take advantage of the space. Terrible defending led to an inevitable equaliser. Can imagine it was a brilliant game for the neutral like.

Oh, and the referee was terrible.

Gota laugh at all the anger on here because we did not sit back late on.. All I heard at the match was 40 odd thousand Geordie's screaming or another.

I think we may have lost it had we tried to sit back, 1st half we sat to deep for my liking, Spuds will always go until the end.. we nodded off as we did vs the Scum

Yeah am gutted we did not hold on but I REALLY enjoyed a good game of football.

Exactly. I was told yesterday that i was deluded for looking forward to a good open game of football today as we were gonna get hammered by their pace. It was a cracking game and there'd be no anger if they'd equalised earlier.

was a brilliant end to end game with some of our lot dead on their feet towards the end.

Guy who sits net to me - a nice guy - said that he was disappointed that Bale went off as he was looking forward to seeing him play....

I was ecstatic when bale went off. Having said that he was playing left back where he isn't as effective.

Guest toonlass

Really annoyed at dropping two points today. Spurs were not as dangerous as I thought they would be. Couldn't believe our shot that came off the bar didn't go in. Felt really gutted at the end of the game cos it now really does feel like 4 points lost in the last two games.

Guy who sits net to me - a nice guy - said that he was disappointed that Bale went off as he was looking forward to seeing him play....

I was ecstatic when bale went off. Having said that he was playing left back where he isn't as effective.

Yeah I was over the moon.. may have went to far shouting "aww you got a bad fkn back boohoo rub it with a sheep" as he walked past on his way off.

BUT HEY LIKE i SAY i WAS OVER THE MOON

:lol:

Great game to watch - spurs are pretty good and so are we - impressed with pardews little tactical switches - best looked good - colo standout player but mentions to all the boys - shola could of had a hatrick and we should have been well clear by the end - overall another committed, quality performance

Exactly. I was told yesterday that i was deluded for looking forward to a good open game of football today as we were gonna get hammered by their pace. It was a cracking game and there'd be no anger if they'd equalised earlier.

was a brilliant end to end game with some of our lot dead on their feet towards the end.

We played really well and the players didn't deserve to drop the points.  We couldn't have asked for more from them as they were mostly physically shattered, probably mentally as well after the late goal.  We didn't have a chance in midfield on paper but the players put in a lot of effort and nullified Spurs, who I didn't think had a goal in them.

We played really well and the players didn't deserve to drop the points.  We couldn't have asked for more from them as they were mostly physically shattered, probably mentally as well after the late goal.  We didn't have a chance in midfield on paper but the players put in a lot of effort and nullified Spurs, who I didn't think had a goal in them.

Was a Spurs fan on the total sport phone in on radio newcastle when i was driving home from the match and he was saying they play great attacking football but have no cutting edge which is why they are desperate to sign Carroll.

Convinced I must have watched a different match to what is being discussed.  Simpson was nowhere near Lennon in the second half and never closed him down once, poor perf 2nd half for me.  The Lovenkrands chance was impeded by the clip he got just as he was about to shoot.  Shola could have had a hat-trick but wasted some shocking chance from 6 yards. Guthrie had his best game in a long time in a midfield of international divers, I mean players.  His pass wont get much of a mention as his name aint Barton, who was poor today, for the first time this season.

Lack of depth showed bringing Craig David on for Guthrie

Was a Spurs fan on the total sport phone in on radio newcastle when i was driving home from the match and he was saying they play great attacking football but have no cutting edge which is why they are desperate to sign Carroll.

I wasn't impressed with Spurs today, stick our 3 missing players in our team today and we would have won at a canter.

Convinced I must have watched a different match to what is being discussed.  Simpson was nowhere near Lennon in the second half and never closed him down once, poor perf 2nd half for me.  The Lovenkrands chance was impeded by the clip he got just as he was about to shoot.  Shola could have had a hat-trick but wasted some shocking chance from 6 yards. Guthrie had his best game in a long time in a midfield of international divers, I mean players.  His pass wont get much of a mention as his name aint Barton, who was poor today, for the first time this season.

Lack of depth showed bringing Craig David on for Guthrie

How's that so different to what others are saying?

Disappointed in Spurs but more so the goal we conceded. Barton had a really good game but gave away a simple ball which caught us completely out of position. we looked tired in the last 15 mins or so and didn't look after the ball well enough in that time.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Calm head now, promise.

First half, they were the better team (for all their diving and cheating) and they probably should have scored through Defoe. Harper played well and the defence was relatively good. Jonas was terrible and continued to do the exact same thing over and over again, there was a run where the ball crossed the line and I think he did it twice in the space of 90 seconds or so. We didn't offer alot going forward and yet we still should have scored and were unlucky not to.

Second half we came out so much better and with a bit more freedom. Colo's goal was a typical striker's finish and I've not heard a roar like it this season. As the game became stretched, we maintained a decent shape and the defence were disciplined and did well (Colo and Williamson in particular sparked their decent partnership again). As the space became available, Jonas improved leaps and bounds and played like a different player in the second half. His crossing in particular looked so much better.

Guthrie had a decent game and it was sad to see him go off (more sad to see who was coming on). Ranger and Lovenkrands offered us a different perspective on things upfront, but whilst both were massive improvements, they both arguably should have scored. Barton's ball to Lovenkrands was absolutely perfect and a touch either side of the keeper would have been curtains on the game. Ranger did well to fashion the chance that he did, and whilst he arguably should have had an opportunity to shoot, I can't help but feel what might have been had he squared it to Perch who was in a glorious position for a tap in.

We got ahead of ourselves and committed too many people forward chasing a second. There was a massive gap left by Simpson (or whoever should have been covering him at RB) and Lennon was always going to take advantage of the space. Terrible defending led to an inevitable equaliser. Can imagine it was a brilliant game for the neutral like.

Oh, and the referee was terrible.

Good post, tbh.

Harper 7 - no chance with the goal

Simpson 6 - Spurs forced him inside a lot and he looked lost, at fault for the goal probably too.

Coloccini 8.5 - Great goal and all round performance.

Williamson 7.5 - did the simple things well again.

Enrique 8 - standard.

Barton 7.5 - played some nice balls (pass to Lovenkrands) but faded as he moved central.

Guthrie 7 - tidy and got stuck in well.

Nolan 7 - see above.

Gutierrez 8.5 - some great runs and balls in and a constant threat throughout the game.

Ameobi 7 - forced a couple of decent saves from the keeper. Tired as game went on. (understandable if he is carrying a knock)

Best 6 - not as good as recent performances

-----

Perch 7 - did ok considering he isn't really a midfielder.

Ranger 7 - unlucky not to score.

Lovenkrands 6.5 - should've done better with his chance.

Harper-7

Simpson-7

Williamson-7.5

Coloccini-9

Enrique-8

Barton- 7

Guthrie- 6.5

Nolan- 6

Jonas- 8.5

Ameobi- 6.5

Best- 6

--