Europe: would you take, er, 5th place right now?

kirkwdavis2001

We dont have a squad to play in Europe next year. If we made it into the Europa League the fixture congestion would begin to show on the Premier League table. We are still aiming to stay up next year, certainly for the first few months anyway.

Is there much financial gain from coming 6th/7th and qualifying for the Waffa? Like Disco says, if we didn't bulk out the squad, more fixtures would actually damage our domestic season. We can't afford to be next year's "second season syndrome" victim just cos we qualified for Europe.

Assuming we do, obvs. :pow:

Europa League would bring in £1-2m for groups and £11.2m for coming 7th which each league position higher you finish being worth £800k.

To be honest, what's the point of football if you don't want to fight to be among the best? I don't ever want to witness Newcastle becoming a club that will forever be happy just not being relegated. Obviously this season and the next few are exceptions, but I don't get why some people seem to not want us to play in Europe if we qualify. I see it as a privelige getting to play there. Obviously the squad would need adding to, but I also think there's a bigger chance of new additions if we actually do well.

FFS man! Some people are only capable of unbelievable expectations or crushing pesimism. WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET RELEGATED!!!! If you can't see that then you're opinion isn't worth putting on here. European  qualification is sixth place, we're seventh. If Pardew is worth anything at all, he'll be using Europe as the target for his players. If we aim for 17th place then we might as well give up all hope of taking points off anyone other than Wet Spam, Wigan or Wolves.

All those complaining about mid season target changes, gan take yer heids for a shite!

We're 7 points off the mackems, only above Stoke and Bolton on goal difference, 2 points ahead of Blackpool who have a game in hand, and only 1 point above Liverpool who've suddenly remembered how to play football.

Europe is highly highly unlikely.

We're finish around 9th, 10th, 11th.

FFS man! Some people are only capable of unbelievable expectations or crushing pesimism. WE'RE NOT GOING TO GET RELEGATED!!!! If you can't see that then you're opinion isn't worth putting on here. European  qualification is sixth place, we're seventh. If Pardew is worth anything at all, he'll be using Europe as the target for his players. If we aim for 17th place then we might as well give up all hope of taking points off anyone other than Wet Spam, Wigan or Wolves.

All those complaining about mid season target changes, gan take yer heids for a s****!

Well said!

Don't want to qualify nor think we're capable of it.

We're not going to become one of those clubs are we?

What sort of clubs? Like has previously been said it ruin our season and we don't have the required strength in depth. I'd love to qualify in a couple years time if the squad's been sufficiently strengthened but definitely not this season.

All those complaining about mid season target changes, gan take yer heids for a shite!

Sixth is as likely to get you in Europe as seventh. Both relies on the cups.

I hope we could get a Euro spot but at the same time even if we miss out we shouldn't be that disappointed.  We don't have the squad depth required and may even face relegation battle once being hit by injuries.  A lot of similar cases in history.

Look at our squad man.

W've got decent cover for GKs and Cbs, that's pretty much it. We don't stand a chance.

That's just not true. Forgetting how it happened, we've picked up two very good points from two difficult games - with numerous first teamers out. Not just first teamers, but our best players. If we keep this up, with players coming back - and there's also the potential of a big boost witih HBA - 'we don't stand a chance' just isn't the case. We've as much chance as Bolton, Stoke and Liverpool.

To be honest, what's the point of football if you don't want to fight to be among the best? I don't ever want to witness Newcastle becoming a club that will forever be happy just not being relegated. Obviously this season and the next few are exceptions, but I don't get why some people seem to not want us to play in Europe if we qualify. I see it as a privelige getting to play there. Obviously the squad would need adding to, but I also think there's a bigger chance of new additions if we actually do well.

Fighting amongst the best is the problem though, the best teams have squads to have a go at Europe while also finishing around the European places in their domestic leagues, and we dont. The Europe League is so shite at the start that a side like Newcastle are basically guaranteed the group stages and this adds games to our fixture list that we could honestly do without. I would love us to be back in Europe again, but only when we are ready for it.

So if we qualify we won't buy any new players to add depth to the squad?

I think it's highly more likely that we'll get additions if we do well (Europe well) than if we fight relegation. Especially as it'd be more exposure for Ashley's Sports Direct and what not.

Don't want to qualify nor think we're capable of it.

We're not going to become one of those clubs are we?

What sort of clubs? Like has previously been said it ruin our season and we don't have the required strength in depth. I'd love to qualify in a couple years time if the squad's been sufficiently strengthened but definitely not this season.

I know, but I just hated it when people like Allardyce got Bolton into Europe, Hughes with Blackburn etc when they spent all season wanting to get into Europe, then once they got there, the following season treat the competition as a reserve league. Just thought we were better than that that's all. Probably not in reality.

Guest dazzanufc1892

if we qualified, i think ashley would sell up, see it as maximum price available and leave.

wouldnt mind seeing the addition of michael carrick to push for, and maintain 7th place