Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

they played him as a holding midfielder.........

really??

thats mental, no wonder he wasnt happy!

Dont think they did - I think Petrov was playing as the holding midfielder

Though Villa did fuck all in that match it was hard to work out what positions their players were playing in

?

-------------------Harper

Simo-------Willi----------Colo-------Jose

-------------Nolan-----------Tiote

Barton-------------------------------HBA

---------------------Ireland

-------------------Carroll

FYP.

?

-------------Nolan-----------Tiote

Barton-------------------------------HBA

---------------------Ireland

FYP.

Looks a decent side, tbh.

?

-----------Ireland-----------Tiote

Barton-------------------------------Jonas

---------------------HBA

It never ends.

I can see the following formation being quite a handful for the opposition:

Tiote  Barton

Ireland Nolan Ben Arfa

Carroll

With Jonas coming in place of Nolan / Ireland (Ben Arfa to come in to the centre)

Bit of everything there.

The destructive ball winning ability of Tiote

Barton's passing ability from deep, slide rule passing

Pace / trickery of Ben Arfa

Carrolls power, strength and hold up play

Nolan ghosting in from deep to pick up pieces, score

Ireland's guile, passing and goal scoring ability - will cause havoc with Ben Arfa on other side, will free up space

Jonas to slot in with work rate, direct running, excellent impact substitute also to run at tired legs

All in all, a very dangerous front 6, potentially, if all play to their strengths. Can cause most teams problems. So definitely exciting potential there indeed.

At home

Simo--------Willi----------Colo-------Jose

--------------------Tiote

---------Barton--------------Ireland

Jonas-----------------------------------HBA

KEVIN NOLAN.

Imo, Nolan and Ireland should be competing for the same position. Both are rather lazy, mecurial players that offer little in terms of ball winning or defence. Ideally, I would put Barton back in the centre and maintain Jonas and HBA as the wings. Ireland should be a legitimate option of off the bench. Something we have not had in ages. I would like to sign him permanently.

Imo, Nolan and Ireland should be competing for the same position. Both are rather lazy, mecurial players that offer little in terms of ball winning or defence. Ideally, I would put Barton back in the centre and maintain Jonas and HBA as the wings. Ireland should be a legitimate option of off the bench. Something we have not had in ages. I would like to sign him permanently.

they're different though, ireland is more a playmaker type and athletically has been fairly good in recent years, nolans a finisher simple as

And again. :lol:

Guest Tall Striker

:lol:

There is no reason to drop Jonas, who's one of the few players in our squad capable of keeping the ball under pressure. He's one of the best outlets we have, someone who can control the ball and run at teams with pace. He lacks end product, but the effect that he has on a team lacking in pace can't be understated. I think a lot of the space that our CMs have is due in part to the fact that Jonas (and Routledge previously) forced teams to sit slightly deeper than they would have because of the pace that Jonas (and Routledge) possess.

I agree with baba re: Barton in the center. I don't see why we can't revert to a 4-4-2 with Barton in the center with Tiote, and HBA and Jonas on the wings, rotating with each other. Against Spurs Barton drifted in so much that he was practically playing as a CM already, and he was very good in that match.

If we revert to a 4-4-2, we'll have Carroll up front with Nolan playing off him, or Ireland if he can regain his form. Or we buy a Bellamy-type striker and drop Nolan.

Guest Tall Striker

I don't see how keeping Jonas in the team over someone who hasn't played decent football in over a year warrants laughter or ridicule, but I suppose this is much easier than actual debate.

There is no debate. In his time at NUFC Barton has shown no sign whatsoever that he can play CM, however on many occasions he has shown to be a very good player on the RW.

In his time at NUFC Jonas has shown he can't cross a football.

Simples.

I don't see how keeping Jonas in the team over someone who hasn't played decent football in over a year warrants laughter or ridicule, but I suppose this is much easier than actual debate.

My post was based on how I would get Ireland if all fit and playing to their potential, ie Jonas would be the first one I would drop.

There is no debate. In his time at NUFC Barton has shown no sign whatsoever that he can play CM, however on many occasions he has shown to be a very good player on the RW.

In his time at NUFC Jonas has shown he can't cross a football.

Simples.

He was practically playing CM against Spurs and ran the show whenever we had the ball.

Krul

Simpson Taylor Colo Jose

Barton Tiote Ireland Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Firstly Krul would be in goal for me based on the fact i think Harper isn't that much better than Krul and Krul has a lot of years ahead and needs to play in order to improve and become a top goalkeeper for us with the ability he already maintains. Taylor would be ahead of Williamson for me if injury free. I think Ireland would get in my team ahead of Nolan if he proved in training he is fit and raring to go and looking good. I would give Ben Arfa a free role and just let him do what he likes and roam around the pitch. Barton hasn't showed a great deal when being in CM for Newcastle as of yet but has showed quality on numerous occassions this season being on the right, a stand out performer over recent months.

Barton was as bad as i've seen him all season against Spurs.

Yep. I have no idea why anyone would want to play him centrally. Likewise, I have no idea why anyone would want to play Nolan in an advanced position and Ireland in a deep-midfield role.

Krul

Simpson Taylor Colo Jose

Barton Tiote Ireland Jonas

Ben Arfa

Carroll

Firstly Krul would be in goal for me based on the fact i think Harper isn't that much better than Krul and Krul has a lot of years ahead and needs to play in order to improve and become a top goalkeeper for us with the ability he already maintains. Taylor would be ahead of Williamson for me if injury free. I think Ireland would get in my team ahead of Nolan if he proved in training he is fit and raring to go and looking good. I would give Ben Arfa a free role and just let him do what he likes and roam around the pitch. Barton hasn't showed a great deal when being in CM for Newcastle as of yet but has showed quality on numerous occassions this season being on the right, a stand out performer over recent months.

No.