Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6903653,00.html

"Stephen is an Aston Villa player. He's our responsibility," said McAllister, who is in charge of first-team affairs while manager Gerard Houllier recovers from a stint in hospital.

"When he reports back, he needs to be assessed by the medical people here and then be set a programme to get fit.

"He has had all these problems for a long time now. He went on loan, it's not worked.

"He's had problems up at Newcastle as well, a number of injuries as well, groin, hamstring, ankle, he's not had much luck."

Ireland has been linked with a move away from Villa Park after failing to settle, but McAllister's main concern is helping the Irishman regain his fitness.

He said: "There is no doubt he is a talented player but he's got to get fit before we see the real Stephen Ireland."

I like him as a player, he brings much needed craft and guile into the attacking third. But there's a sneaking suspicion he's a busted flush at an early age  similar to Michael Owen.

like him as a player too, bit of a gamble signing him but wouldn't be opposed to it, every transfer is a gamble at the end of the day and given what hes capable of worth a go imho. He could just have had a horrendous bit of luck injury wise when it came to being here

I think he would compliment Ben Arfa well, and I think he would work well in a fast, flowing attack which I hope is what we are going for (given the link with players like Gamiero, El Arabi and Gervinho among others).

It's a gamble, but at the price stated it's a smaller gamble than selling Carroll and not replacing him, so I hope and think we'll go for him.

EDIT: Although I did think we should have been in for J.Cole last season (but not at 100k a week) and that hasn't worked out too well for Liverpool.

Forget him, doesn't matter how good he may be if he's a sicknote.  With the baggage he seems to carry, his injuries and the money it'd cost us we'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Is he a sicknote though? What's his record been like before picking up the injury at Villa?

I like him, get's the ball down and along with Ben Arfa is capable of playing the type of football I want to watch every week.

Forget him, doesn't matter how good he may be if he's a sicknote.  With the baggage he seems to carry, his injuries and the money it'd cost us we'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Is he a sicknote though? What's his record been like before picking up the injury at Villa?

I like him, get's the ball down and along with Ben Arfa is capable of playing the type of football I want to watch every week.

138 Games in 5 years for City according to Wiki so not terrible I suppose.  All these little niggling injuries one after the other makes me a bit uneasy about him though and he seems to have a bit of a weird attitude what with the dead grandmas thing, his falling out with, well, everyone and his attitude to the national team.

Maybe i'm wrong and judging him prematurely but it doesn't give me a good feeling about him.

138 Games in 5 years for City according to Wiki so not terrible I suppose.  All these little niggling injuries one after the other makes me a bit uneasy about him though and he seems to have a bit of a weird attitude what with the dead grandmas thing, his falling out with, well, everyone and his attitude to the national team.

Maybe i'm wrong and judging him prematurely but it doesn't give me a good feeling about him.

Ireland was 21 when the whole grandma thing occurred, he's almost 25 now, I don't think he should still be judged for that. His attitude seemed to be fine when he was here, and he seems to work hard in training.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/04/30/crucial-summer-for-stephen-ireland-pardew-61634-28609397/

ALAN Pardew believes Stephen Ireland still has a “big future” in the Premier League – he just hasn’t decided whether or not it will play out at St James’ Park next season.

Ireland’s injury-jinxed campaign came to a premature end after he suffered an ankle injury at Blackpool, a bitter blow for a player that had showed signs of promise in two brief cameo appearances for Newcastle United.

He returned to Aston Villa this week to face an uncertain future in the Second City but Pardew clearly hasn’t dismissed the idea of brokering a permanent deal for the player. Obvious concerns about his injury record still abound but on the subject of the player’s character, Pardew is unequivocal. The outspoken midfielder fell out with previous boss Gerard Houllier, but the Newcastle boss says he is far from unmanageable.

“I didn’t see that at all when he was here. I didn’t see it,” the United boss said. “If there was one thing about him here, he just had constant hits with injuries. That’s going to take a toll on your character a little bit, and he was a little bit down when he left the other day and I can understand that.

“The summer is important for him, it’s important he gets himself injury-free and has a good feeling about himself. But he’s a fantastic player and he’s still got a big future in the Premier League.”

Quizzed specifically on bringing Ireland back to Newcastle, Pardew offered nothing definitive. Villa are looking to make some kind of return on their investment, but sources in the West Midlands have suggested a fee of around £4million might be enough to secure him. His weekly wage of £60,000 would also be a stumbling block.

But it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a player who is only 24 could return to the North East.

“If I’m honest I haven’t really given it any thought this week,” Pardew said.

“I’m obviously disappointed that I’ve lost him because I felt I had a good feeling with him and that he had a good feeling with me – that’s very important with a player of his ability and character.

“But where we go from here I’ve got to be honest, I haven’t really thought about it.”

Guest Flatline

If that figure of 4 million is true, I believe we should take a gamble on him.  Him fully fit and wanting to play football, is worth at least 3 times that amount.

But then again IF`s and BUT`s never scored any goals or provided any assists.

He`s had a good 3-4 months and injuries keep popping up left and right, even though hes not playing any matches.

So if he cant handle regular training, how is he gonna handle an additional 1-2 matches a week?

Everything is a gamble these days but it seems like Ireland is a particularily big one.

His career injury record is pretty good if you don't consider the last 6 months, I think it's just a bad spell of luck.

In terms of wages, I don't see us paying anymore than 35-40k a week. I think he'd take the pay cut to get out of Villa though.

His career injury record is pretty good if you don't consider the last 6 months, I think it's just a bad spell of luck.

In terms of wages, I don't see us paying anymore than 35-40k a week. I think he'd take the pay cut to get out of Villa though.

It's not just the injuries though, there's a question mark over his attitude. I'm not convinced he's as desperate as he should be to make a new start, he looks a bit flabby to me. We really needed him to get out there on the pitch and show he was serious. Maybe it is just bad luck...or maybe his lifestyle makes it's own luck. Nothing's really any clearer so you can understand why Pardew isn't made up on him yet.

i wouldn't have him back at all, as he'd be taking up space and wages, and perhaps a transfer fee, that could be used on someone else.

i think there's better alternatives out there, and as sicko says we have HBA and Nolan in the attacking midfield position, so whoever comes in to play there will have to bide their time on the bench.

Ireland's simply not well suited to do that, he needs everything to be perfect for him, to have the manager's trust, get regular game time etc. he'd just get disinterested. so i'd prefer we went for a young and versatile midfielder instead who is prepared to spend a couple of seasons challenging from the bench.

Ireland is better than Nolan...if he's fit. Which he never is so it's a moot point.

for the deeper role, joining the attack late on, that Nolan plays - no.

playing just off the striker with limited defensive duties - yes.

Ireland's had one good season in his career, the rest have been average, or downright poor. let's look elsewhere please.

Ireland is better than Nolan...if he's fit. Which he never is so it's a moot point.

for the deeper role, joining the attack late on, that Nolan plays - no.

playing just off the striker with limited defensive duties - yes.

Ireland's had one good season in his career, the rest have been average, or downright poor. let's look elsewhere please.

I could see Ireland fitting into a good passing side more easily than Nolan that's why I rate him more. But I don't want to spend good money on a crock so I agree we should look elsewhere.

Guest sicko2ndbest

What do you want from your attacking midfielder?

Goals

Assists

Nolan has 12 goals and 4 assists. He also has an 82% pass completion rate, Not even blue eyed boy HBA would have got close to that this season if fit. Nolan may not be the greatest footballer in terms of athletic ability and sheer skill but as an attacking midfielder playing in a 5 ( which you would have to do with Ireland) I believe he is as effective as any

Guest Flatline

He also has an 82% pass completion rate

Yeah well, have a look at the actual passes before you start throwing around completion numbers... Nolan isnt excactly providing Xabi Alonso service...

Guest sicko2ndbest

Yeah well, have a look at the actual passes before you start throwing around completion numbers... Nolan isnt excactly providing Xabi Alonso service...

It is what it is.

It is what it is.

Why would Ben Arfa 'not have got close' to - 4 assists and 12 goals?