Finally about to go to St James' :) seating question

Threelegs

• 8 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm a Yank who's coming over to SJP for the first time in the spring.  I'm looking for seat suggestions for the best combo of pitch/stadium views & atmosphere (money's not really an issue since it's a once in a lifetime trip -- we'll sleep cheap).  So far I've narrowed it down to GG-QQ in Gallowgate and Bar 1892 (anywhere on the Gallowgate half).  Sounds like the views in 1892 are fantastic, but I'm worried it'll be too quiet and corporate (though I've heard you get some of the good energy from Gallowgate if you're on that end?).  On the other hand, Gallowgate sounds amazing but I don't want to get pummeled if we don't know/sing every song!  Thoughts?!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm a Yank who's coming over to SJP for the first time in the spring.  I'm looking for seat suggestions for the best combo of pitch/stadium views & atmosphere (money's not really an issue since it's a once in a lifetime trip -- we'll sleep cheap).  So far I've narrowed it down to GG-QQ in Gallowgate and Bar 1892 (anywhere on the Gallowgate half).  Sounds like the views in 1892 are fantastic, but I'm worried it'll be too quiet and corporate (though I've heard you get some of the good energy from Gallowgate if you're on that end?).  On the other hand, Gallowgate sounds amazing but I don't want to get pummeled if we don't know/sing every song!  Thoughts?!

lol

Haha nobody is going to pummel you rest assured. View wise, 1892 is brilliant, but its far too quiet, You try and sing, you will get looks.

I don't like the Gallowgate much, view wise, East Stand is just as good as 1892, personally I also like the Sir John Hall stand. (The away fans above you, makes a good atmosphere)

If you want atmosphere its got to be Lower Gallowgate or Level 7.

Row QQ in the gallowgate is where i sit and its a class view. The closer to the Strawberry Corner the better the atmosphere too.

Had a free ticket in 1892 for the Blackburn game.  Good view, f*** all atmosphere.  Costs more too.  I wouldn't bother.  Get yourself in either the Leazes or the Gallowgate middle.

nomination for the oldest poster ?

Best place for atmosphere will be the east side of the Gallowgate as Strawberry corner is the main source of noise these days.

If it is once in a lifetime get in the corner

It's quite hard to get tickets in the corner, normally only single seat available, closest me and my mates have been able to get this season was upper Gallowgate.

Sounds like Gallowgate's the way to go -- thanks all.

Our plan is to see 3 PL matches & 1 reserves:

3/31: vs Liverpool (home)

4/1:  SJP tour?

4/2 - 4/6:  London (reserves @ Fulham 4/3)

4/7:  vs Swansea (away)

4/9:  vs Bolton (home)

Most of the extra free time will be in London since it's kinda between Newcastle & Wales.  Can't come soon enough.

As you have 2 home games try a seat in the East Stand on the Sir John Hall side but for the 1st go in the Gallowgate, before our after the game enter the seating area from the corner of the concourse and as you walk up the stairs you'll get the view Sky love to use of the Milburn/ SJH stands.

The East Stand will give a great view, you'll see the Gallowgate and will enter the ground from the side no one usually sees into the oldest stand we have (early/ mid 70's). Try to get low numbered seats in the upper level (not very high at all).

Most of the extra free time will be in London since it's kinda between Newcastle & Wales.   Can't come soon enough.

:lol:

Had a free ticket in 1892 for the Blackburn game.  Good view, f*** all atmosphere.  Costs more too.  I wouldn't bother.  Get yourself in either the Leazes or the Gallowgate middle.

nomination for the oldest poster ?

:mike:

Most of the extra free time will be in London since it's kinda between Newcastle & Wales.   Can't come soon enough.

:lol:

Ha Ok so maybe it's not a mathematical midpoint, but the chance to see Sammy knock one in @ Motspur Park is well worth the slight detour.

I'm usually in 1892 because, imo, it boasts the best view. The atmosphere may not be as good as some of the other stands what with it being seen as the "posh section"  but there aren't many areas of St. James' that escape the buzz if we're doing well.

Away games are a great first-time experience as well. Good luck :thup:

I'm usually in 1892 because, imo, it boasts the best view. The atmosphere may not be as good as some of the other stands what with it being seen as the "posh section"  but there aren't many areas of St. James' that escape the buzz if we're doing well.

Away games are a great first-time experience as well. Good luck :thup:

Thanks for that -- that's what I'm trying to figure out.  We don't want to be stuck in the middle of a bunch of uninterested corporate folk, but as first-timer Yanks we may not be able to fully participate in the chanting and what-not.  Hard to get a feel for this when you're 7,000 miles away but appreciate all the info!

Personally I think the ground looks pretty impressive from all angles.

Imo the best view of the game itself is end on so either the Leazes or the Gallowgate.

I would definitely give 1892 a miss. I had a ticket there for a few years and it is very dull. Also worth getting to the city early on the day and soaking up the pre match atmosphere in the pubs. Not everyones favourite but I think its nice to say you've done the strawberry.

Have fun anyway.

(Might also be worth writing to Derek and letting him know of your trip and see if theres anyway you can get into training. With their new find "niceness" you never know.