MLS

Kaizero

Columbus owner trying to force a move to Austin if he doesn't get his downtown stadium. I think this is MLS' first instance of an owner holding a team hostage if they don't get a stadium. I don't really think Columbus is an ideal city to have a team in, but would feel really bad for Crew fans, they have one of the better supporter's section in the league.

Yeah, it's one of those early SSS with a stage behind one goal, and no one considered the afternoon sun when building it either, it's blinding if you're on the wrong side of the stadium. Right off the highway, and the Lowe's next door lets you park for free, so yeah, not ideal for MLS 2.0

Columbus is definitely a far different city than what it was a decade ago. A lot of Crew's good support comes from people in MLS' key demo staying there after college or moving there, which wasn't happening until recently. Just seeing the general reaction online, I think the owner has wanted out for a while. Even with the city growing and a fanbase there, it's still a small market. They apparently do barely any advertising in the city, there's no attempt to get more fans. I'm guessing while both Austin and C-Bus are growing and have young professionals, Austin has way more corporate opportunities. Pretty shitty, whatever the reasoning.

Columbus is definitely a far different city than what it was a decade ago. A lot of Crew's good support comes from people in MLS' key demo staying there after college or moving there, which wasn't happening until recently. Just seeing the general reaction online, I think the owner has wanted out for a while. Even with the city growing and a fanbase there, it's still a small market. They apparently do barely any advertising in the city, there's no attempt to get more fans. I'm guessing while both Austin and C-Bus are growing and have young professionals, Austin has way more corporate opportunities. Pretty shitty, whatever the reasoning.

laziest thing you could do is put a sports team in Austin and Nashville and just point to it being a hot market to be in :lol:

• 1 month later...

Toronto FC play in the 2nd leg play off semi-final in the early hours of this morning. The agg is still 0-0. Should they make it then they will likely play Seattle Sounders (who have a 2-0 advantage in their tie) in the final at BMO field. Last year Seattle Sounders beat them in the final on penalties at BMO Field.

Toronto FC play in the 2nd leg play off semi-final in the early hours of this morning. The agg is still 0-0. Should they make it then they will likely play Seattle Sounders (who have a 2-0 advantage in their tie) in the final at BMO field. Last year Seattle Sounders beat them in the final on penalties at BMO Field.

Love you, Stiffers! Will think of you when I'm at the game tonight, bud. :thup:

Love you, Stiffers! Will think of you when I'm at the game tonight, bud. :thup:

Wish I was there.

Would've been nice to see Columbus win it considering everything that's gone down there.

Final four expansion cities announced and somehow Detroit is in it despite a last minute switch from a shiny new stadium on prime real estate to a domed NFL stadium. My guess is MLS is holding out hope Gilbert changes his mind or Detroit's bid agrees to try to build a new stadium eventually, Robert Kraft style.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not MLS, but news about the new upcoming Canadian Premier League.

The league will start next spring instead of 2018 as only a few teams would be ready in time for 2018. They are going to have limit of foreign players and coaches, which I suspect will be even limit the Yanks.

Crucially though they expect to have around 22 teams by 2026, and they are hoping to have them spread over 2 leagues with promotion and relegation.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42864461

Former England captain David Beckham has launched his long-planned Major League Soccer team in Miami.

Beckham exercised an option in his contract with former side LA Galaxy to buy an expansion franchise in 2014.

The as yet unnamed team is set to play at a 25,000-seat stadium in the city's Overton neighbourhood.

The launch follows four years of disputes over the site for a stadium in southern Florida, with residents having opposed multiple locations.

Is there any rumours on a name? Exact site for the stadium? Anything at all other than Miami is getting a team.

Heat, Vice, and Fusion (though they are already a team) have all been rumoured as names, though they may go with a more European approach to team name. I'd expect them to make the most of Beckham's links with either Man Utd, or Real Madrid, so Miami United or Real Miami would be worth putting a bet on.

In terms of stadium, apparently they are wanting to build one right next to the new baseball stadium. On maps it just looks like it's loads of houses round there with an area across the road that has a couple of old-ish looking tower blocks. It likely end up being a case of needing some sort of CPO to buy up the land they need, no doubt someone will resist a move which will make the progress of the stadium builder longer than expected and make people rightfully question why Miami is getting a new team when there are more viable locations.