New Number 9?

Guest SuperShola!

Guest johnson293

May as well give it to Shola like.... when you think, he's outlived quite a few decent strikers in his time....

Shearer, Bellamy, Owen, Martins, Carroll to name a few!!

I guess he's earned it..... (just till the end of the season!)

• 4 months later...

Ok, Ba has been given #19 and if we sign Erding from PSG i cant see him getting the number 9 either.

I wonder who will get the honour of wearing it? What's your personal choice? Who do you think will get it?

Aye, can see it going empty again for another season. If it is Tiote's favourite number though (not sure on this, or whether he just got given it at random for Ivory Coast in the WC), then I'd honestly just let him have it. Blasphemy, I know, but all the other emotion/tradition appears to be disliked by those at the top, can't see why the #9 should be any different.

Aye, can see it going empty again for another season. If it is Tiote's favourite number though (not sure on this, or whether he just got given it at random for Ivory Coast in the WC), then I'd honestly just let him have it. Blasphemy, I know, but all the other emotion/tradition appears to be disliked by those at the top, can't see why the #9 should be any different.

I'm not sure I agree, football is far too 'plastic' nowadays, its lost touch with reality, with the fans and turned into a slick business operation where the only thing that's important is the money. I think its important to keep some form of connection with tradition and sentiments in order to preserve some level of soul in the game.

It's little things like having ironic numbers which preserves the affinity that fans have with their club, it would be a travesty to throw away that tradition for the sake of 'rationality'.

Newcastle Number 9s in the Premier League era:

Cole

Ferdinand

Shearer

Martins

Carroll

With the exception of Martins, that is a pretty epic list of strikers.  No one in our squad is good enough for that list.  If we pick up a top striker, then we should give him the 9, but none of our current squad are anywhere near worthy!

I'm not sure I agree, football is far too 'plastic' nowadays, its lost touch with reality, with the fans and turned into a slick business operation where the only thing that's important is the money. I think its important to keep some form of connection with tradition and sentiments in order to preserve some level of soul in the game.

It's little things like having ironic numbers which preserves the affinity that fans have with their club, it would be a travesty to throw away that tradition for the sake of 'rationality'.

Exactly, I love the shirt, I'm a massive fan of it and it is definitely "special" in the way that the "7" is at Man Utd, etc.

I'd argue with anybody that the 9 here is as iconic as any other number in English football.

However, all I'm saying is that those who make the decisions seem keen to remove all traces of this sort of stuff from the club, which is a massive shame. It doesn't currently look like we'll be bringing anybody in with the stones to wear it this season at least, so I can see it going empty again unless they do go down that road and give it to a non-striker.

Newcastle Number 9s in the Premier League era:

Cole

Ferdinand

Shearer

Martins

Carroll

With the exception of Martins, that is a pretty epic list of strikers.  No one in our squad is good enough for that list.  If we pick up a top striker, then we should give him the 9, but none of our current squad are anywhere near worthy!

Ugh. Martins did a lot more in the shirt than the Gateshead Glasser

Exactly, I love the shirt, I'm a massive fan of it and it is definitely "special" in the way that the "7" is at Man Utd, etc.

I'd argue with anybody that the 9 here is as iconic as any other number in English football.

However, all I'm saying is that those who make the decisions seem keen to remove all traces of this sort of stuff from the club, which is a massive shame. It doesn't currently look like we'll be bringing anybody in with the stones to wear it this season at least, so I can see it going empty again unless they do go down that road and give it to a non-striker.

If we don't sign anybody to wear it, I wonder if they'll offer it to Ben Arfa? I know he loves his #10 but with him potentially playing just behind a lone man up top, would it be that out of the question to offer him the #9?

:thup:

My personal opinion is that the club do value the number 9, I'm sure remember pardew talking about it. The strange thing is that despite it being our weakest area we haven't been linked with too many strikers which strangely gives me hope that there's something to come.