Realistic Transfer Targets Summer 2011

LucaAltieri

Ah howay man, he's a bigger crock than Woodgate. We don't want to be going down that route signing these type of players anymore. Especially for Hargraves he's hardly kicked a ball in 3 years and we could do better now. Woodgate would still offer us loads on the pitch but the fact he is never on it means theres just no point going there.

What about Asmir Begovic?  :shifty:

And De Guzman the 2nd?

It's a long list; you're just getting started :p

De Guzman and Junior Hoilett haven't suited up for another nation so I still have a small amount of hope that they'll suit up for the Men's National Team, though that's unlikely because the side is dreadful.  Wouldn't mind either of them in a Newcastle shirt at this point in time and I recall we were rumoured to be in for De Guzman last summer when he was out of contract.

I'm a little more understanding of Begovic given that his family had to leave Yugolavia when he was young.  If he hadn't suited up for the Canadian youth sides and said he wanted to play for Canada at the senior level I wouldn't have begrudged him playing for Bosnia.  If he had been played in the dead rubber World Cup Qualifier it would be moot, but that's how it goes for Canadian soccer.

What about Asmir Begovic?  :shifty:

And De Guzman the 2nd?

It's a long list; you're just getting started :p

De Guzman and Junior Hoilett haven't suited up for another nation so I still have a small amount of hope that they'll suit up for the Men's National Team, though that's unlikely because the side is dreadful.  Wouldn't mind either of them in a Newcastle shirt at this point in time and I recall we were rumoured to be in for De Guzman last summer when he was out of contract.

I'm a little more understanding of Begovic given that his family had to leave Yugolavia when he was young.  If he hadn't suited up for the Canadian youth sides and said he wanted to play for Canada at the senior level I wouldn't have begrudged him playing for Bosnia.  If he had been played in the dead rubber World Cup Qualifier it would be moot, but that's how it goes for Canadian soccer.

Hope De Guzman see's sense, he is old news for Holland, still think its unlikely as he has too much pride to backtrack. Hoilett will play in time, can't see him opting for Jamaica, his father said as much last year. Hopefully they can bring him into the fold. The Canadian side at the Gold Cup were a complete embarrassment, really shows how far the U.S. have advanced since 2007 in comparison to Canada possibly even going backwards.

Getting De Guzman Jnr and Hoilett to commit would be massive and set a trend that Hargreaves should have done nearly ten years ago.

De Guzman senior wasn't up to much to be fair, MLS is about his standard these days.

Ten Asian players to watch -

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/06/20/duerden.asia.prospects/index.html

Wouldn't mind an Asian or two.

Ahmed Khalil is the real deal as far as I can tell.

Yoo Byung-Soo can't get into our national squad despite us not having produced a good goalscorer for the last decade. That should tell you all you need to know.

Didn't even know any of the rest of those guys existed.

Rondon please.

Not gonna happen. Getting a new bumper contract, Malaga don't need to sell.

Turned down a €15m offer recently. Thought to be an English club. No Rondon in other words, if it wasn't clear enough before.

Guest CheickMansour

Josip Simunic can leave Hoffenheim on free.

At the end of the 2008–09 season, Šimunić was named the best central defender in the Bundesliga by Kicker magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josip_%C5%A0imuni%C4%87

Sounds like he could be decent backup, although he'd have to be on reasonable wages (assuming he'll come). Wouldn't want Sol Campbell MkII.

Guest CheickMansour

He is known for having great football technique, despite being a centre-back. His national teammate Niko Kranjčar says that, "on a training pitch, he does feints like Ronaldinho."[4]

Colotastic

:lol: Aye I was just thinking that.

If he has that kind of style of play, maybe he'll be able to hold up reasonably well until his mid-30s, although I'd like to know why he got released.

Still, no evidence he's on our radar, so until then it's all just conjecture.