Where does Carroll rank...

Tooj

Carroll will do OK - IF he stays free of injury.

He still has a long way to go at the age of (just) 22 to become the finished article - Ferdinand was almost 28 when he joined NUFC, and he was a good player, but despite his size, he didn't have Carroll's physical menace to defenders ; Ferguson was the nearest to Carroll in that respect, remember him being one of the few players to terrorize Stam when we played Man U at SJP and we beat them 3-0, Ferguson scoring a great half-volley.

If Carroll can add a bit of guile and ball control to his game, he will be the best CF in England within 2 years.

Plenty of sour grapes on here and unwarranted too.

Some may disagree but Owen when he came was a better player, obviously older, but a better player and he cost us £17million. That he turned out to be a injury prone w***** is another thing. But he scored many and was dangerous in his first games, wasnt he?

Then Bellamy, Sir Les, Alan Shearer, Beardsley, Cole are obvious examples that were better than him.

Quinn,Goddard,Withe could all be in with the same bunch as the had a few years here and did a job as Carroll has basically come out of no where ,not saying they are better no way but tbh the thread title can be twisted as you see fit .

Don't forget I was born 91, and have barely seen Cole and Beardsley, and knew very little about football when Sir Les played for us. I have seen their qualities on multiple occasions of vt and so on. Shearer and Bellamy I experienced, although as a kid, but remember telling everyone that those two together were probably only not better than bergkamp and Henry together, although I said this not to be too biased ;).

Guest Wally_McFool

AC is a bit of a modern day Peter Withe in my books.

Good in the air, scores a few goals, works hard, lacks killer pace amd will never be a world beater.

Me: Having worked with Carroll, and seen his potential, would you say he is worth £35 million in today's market?

Chris Hughton: Andy is going to be this country's top centre forward in a few years time, it is a lot of money and I guess time will tell.

There's no doubt about it that Andy Carroll has talent. But don't forget his form has skyrocket in the last 12 months and he really has developed into a good player. And really only time will tell if its true or not. However, I have my doubts that he will be even near the top 10 of the last decade that the world has seen and hence the £35million being a ridiculous amount of money. If he does develop to the £35million player then good work to liverpool, but if he doesn't they've probably made the biggest mistake ever made and that will cost them dearly.

Guest toonlass

I don't really know. He had the potential to be fabulous, and I think that he's just going to improve. Its hard to say where he stands for us as he hasn't had a substantial period in the top flight.

Currently not even close to strikers like Shearer, Ferdinand and Cole. Still behind the likes of Bellamy, Martins and dare I say Owen. In the future who knows, I still see him as one dimensional, but if he can add and improve the other aspects of his game, then he could become very good indeed. My bet is though that even in his peak, he wouldn't be as good as the first three names mentioned.

Currently not even close to strikers like Shearer, Ferdinand and Cole. Still behind the likes of Bellamy, Martins and dare I say Owen. In the future who knows, I still see him as one dimensional, but if he can add and improve the other aspects of his game, then he could become very good indeed. My bet is though that even in his peak, he wouldn't be as good as the first three names mentioned.

'still behind the likes of Martins'....???? Keep it up, I'm rolling around the floor here..! That was one of the best quotes of the day !

'still behind the likes of Martins'....???? Keep it up, I'm rolling around the floor here..! That was one of the best quotes of the day !

Why? This thread is all about opinions as there is no real objective way of measuring. I happen think Martins is a more complete player though obviously Carrol best him in terms of heading and ability in the air (mind you Martins was not too bad at heading either). Martins is physically faster, has better dribbling skills, ball control and can shoot with more power and potentially more accuracy including long rangers. These are all attributes that of course Carroll can improve on in the future but I'm comparing the Carroll of now vs the Martins that played for us.

On a side note, are you able to debate like a grown up or are you only capable of throwing insults? Boo hoo someone said something bad about my hero Carroll, let me insult him quick, pathetic. If you don't rate Martins, fair enough but at least try to argue your point.

In terms of judging each of them by their best 'spells' at the club, Shearer, Owen, Bellamy and Viduka would all be above Carroll. From the strikers that i've actually seen, anyway. Viduka is the only one in question there, cos he didn't score as frequently as AC9 (whenever he had an extended period in the side) - but he was a better all-round footballer.

Carroll was well, well on the way though. Probably would have surpassed all but Shearer and Bellamy in terms of the best strikers we've had since the turn of the century.

Owen at his best for us > Carroll at his best for us.

That's what i meant by comparing them by their best spells. Carroll only had six months - his best six - so i'll compare him to everyone else's.

Owen at his best for us > Carroll at his best for us.

That's what i meant by comparing them by their best spells. Carroll only had six months - his best six - so i'll compare him to everyone else's.

Owen's scoring record was still pretty fucking good. It was just the relegation season he bottled it, as most of them did.

I know nothing about Suarez, is he any good in any position other than goal?

Quality striker and player, tbf. But one of the most disgustingly shameless cheating diving prats I've seen in a long time.