Football in pubs: North East pubs facing foreign channel crackdown

Guest neesy111

The Townhouse was bollocked because of overcrowding rather than actually showing the football but not sure about anywhere else in Whitley. It was more of a case of "switch this off because you have dangerous numbers of people coming to watch it".

Source: wor kid works in another pub in Whitley.

• 5 months later...

Doing this is bad for them in the long run. With people being more tech savvy or having a friend who is then people are already starting to watch these matches at home. Soon people will be watching the football at home and Sky and BT won't be the ones making the money.

The sooner Premier Leagues games are on a different day to the football league (Sunday) and pub and clubs are allowed to show any match they want by paying them a reasonable fee the better it is for all parties.

thought that Portsmouth bird won a case and was supposed to be a loop hole to show games ?

Didn't she lose on appeal?

No the PL used a loop hole about their logo and the music being copyright. If pub shows the logo or plays the music before kick off or at half time then they are technically in breach of breaking PL copyright. Still legal to show the match using a foreign tv channel if it doesn't show their logo or the music.

Doing this is bad for them in the long run. With people being more tech savvy or having a friend who is then people are already starting to watch these matches at home. Soon people will be watching the football at home and Sky and BT won't be the ones making the money.

The sooner Premier Leagues games are on a different day to the football league (Sunday) and pub and clubs are allowed to show any match they want by paying them a reasonable fee the better it is for all parties.

Well £7 a month for a quality stream and choice of any game did it for me, stopped watching in pubs. Ok there is a chance you will lose stream / buffering / quality not quite Sky HD but you are better off by £30 a month and have more choice. People will naturally clock on to this eventually and get setup.

Sky/BT/League are taking the piss tbh. Live in this country and watch the top 4 or go abroad and watch any game you like in HD - They just want to rip us off. They may say protecting grass roots etc but i'm not all of a sudden going to football league games just because I haven't got a match on.

They could easily agree an away season ticket for matches outside say 100 mile radius of your postcode, make a bit more money and people would take it up for the benefit of watching an uninterrupted game in HD.

thought that Portsmouth bird won a case and was supposed to be a loop hole to show games ?

No the PL used a loop hole about their logo and the music being copyright. If pub shows the logo or plays the music before kick off or at half time then they are technically in breach of breaking PL copyright. Still legal to show the match using a foreign tv channel if it doesn't show their logo or the music.

I was at Wardley a few month ago (don't ask :lol: ) and they were showing a game and seem to have some software running (or particular stream) that blocked all the logos etc. You missed out on some of the replays but other than that it worked a treat.

Guest Geordiesned

The Ale Taster in Low Fell were fined a few thousand last year for showing a match that included the Premier League logo. The Landlady wasn't working that day and the barmaid who put it on put it on the wrong, unencrypted, channel. Very unluckily for them one of the punters who was in was working on behalf of the Premier League checking out all the pubs in the area.

I was at Wardley a few month ago (don't ask :lol: ) and they were showing a game and seem to have some software running (or particular stream) that blocked all the logos etc. You missed out on some of the replays but other than that it worked a treat.

That's the problem though, that is what they are classing as infringement of their copyright as they control all streams and put that on all streams to be transmitted with it on. By removing it they infringe the copyright.

It drives me mental that you can't watch all the PL games on TV. Or at least it did when I cared about it.

People want to consume the product but they aren't allowed to, it's crazy.

Especially when they sell the very same product abroad. I forget what its called. but you can chhose which match to watch

I'm sure I remember a pub in Newcastle that had bits of black gaffer tape strategically positioned on the screen. Only when the match came on did the purpose of the tape reveal itself!

The Ale Taster in Low Fell were fined a few thousand last year for showing a match that included the Premier League logo. The Landlady wasn't working that day and the barmaid who put it on put it on the wrong, unencrypted, channel. Very unluckily for them one of the punters who was in was working on behalf of the Premier League checking out all the pubs in the area.

Imagine that being your job.

"I aim to stop as many people as possible enjoying football in the pub so that Richard Scudamore can go on nicer holidays."

Imagine that being your job.

"I aim to stop as many people as possible enjoying football in the pub so that Richard Scudamore can go on nicer holidays."

Yeah you can't be a football fan and have that job. Some pubs are putting posters saying anyone working on behalf of the Premier League, or Sky/BT are not allowed in. That way they can counter sue for trespassing. I also think but I'm not sure that it would mean any evidence used against the pubs would technically be classed as stolen and you can not provide evidence that was stolen for the purposes of a prosecution in court.

It drives me mental that you can't watch all the PL games on TV. Or at least it did when I cared about it.

:lol: Fwiw, you end up just watching the games that would always be on TV. Plus Newcastle, which isn't a plus.