Football in pubs: North East pubs facing foreign channel crackdown

Guest neesy111

Looks like they're cracking down on this again. Everywhere in Whitley Bay has had threatening letters or people turning up and putting the frighteners on them, so nowhere's showing matches on foreign channels at the moment.

Looks like they're cracking down on this again. Everywhere in Whitley has had threatening letters or people turning up and putting the frighteners on them, so nowhere's showing matches on foreign channels at the moment.

:thup: Greyhound in the Felling got fined £10,000 at the back end of last season. The Bay Horse in Windy Nook got a similar fine. Other bars in the area have, understandably, shit themselves and removed the foreign systems. They're just money grabbing cunts - publicans just want to make a living and there is a heavy reliance on showing Newcastle games to get punters at a time when it's a real struggling industry.

Looks like they're cracking down on this again. Everywhere in Whitley has had threatening letters or people turning up and putting the frighteners on them, so nowhere's shoeing matches on foreign channels at the moment.

:thup: Greyhound in the Felling got fined £10,000 at the back end of last season. The Bay Horse in Windy Nook got a similar fine. Other bars in the area have, understandably, s*** themselves and removed the foreign systems. They're just money grabbing c***s - publicans just want to make a living and there is a heavy reliance on showing Newcastle games to get punters at a time when it's a real struggling industry.

They should be providing a legal offering by now man at least for away games for a single team which would reduce any home attendance drops. I mean I get to see every game at decent quality but would happily pay a bit more to have it guaranteed and in full HD, considering every game is filmed they really need to work something out - it's shocking that you can watch every premier league game if you live in another country but get top 7 at best most the time on Sky and are left with radio or finding other means for the rest.

They can't seem to make their mind up. EU free trade agreements would suggest it's fine to buy your football coverage from Greece or whatever. They then started trying to claim it was copyright violation to show the premier league logo, so streams covered them up with their own graphics. They threatened to use rules about not showing matches at 3pm on Saturday, so some pubs started showing only those which weren't. And then they still bombarded them with vague legal threats.

Looks like they're cracking down on this again. Everywhere in Whitley has had threatening letters or people turning up and putting the frighteners on them, so nowhere's showing matches on foreign channels at the moment.

:thup: Greyhound in the Felling got fined £10,000 at the back end of last season. The Bay Horse in Windy Nook got a similar fine. Other bars in the area have, understandably, s*** themselves and removed the foreign systems. They're just money grabbing c***s - publicans just want to make a living and there is a heavy reliance on showing Newcastle games to get punters at a time when it's a real struggling industry.

Last Orders received a letter the other week also... Still a couple of pubs showing in the area though they might be independent and therefore less of threat... I know the Sun in Swalwell has warning signs for all Sky/BT inspectors they will be trespassing and are not allowed in :lol:

Last Orders received a letter the other week also... Still a couple of pubs showing in the area though they might be independent and therefore less of threat... I know the Sun in Swalwell has warning signs for all Sky/BT inspectors they will be trespassing and are not allowed in :lol:

Yeah, somewhere I was in last night said the brewery decided it was too much of a risk and ordered them to stop.  Independents probably give less of a fuck.

It's a disgrace that you're still not allowed to see all your matches over there. Time to move on and live with the rest of the world instead of against it.

I can't wrap my head around it. It's the biggest sport in your country and you can't watch all of it on TV. America would burn to the fucking ground if we couldn't see every NFL game.

Yeah, somewhere I was in last night said the brewery decided it was too much of a risk and ordered them to stop.  Independents probably give less of a f***.

Is that why Last Orders have changed their name...

Literally noticed it yesterday :lol:

It's a disgrace that you're still not allowed to see all your matches over there. Time to move on and live with the rest of the world instead of against it.

I can't wrap my head around it. It's the biggest sport in your country and you can't watch all of it on TV. America would burn to the fucking ground if we couldn't see every NFL game.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the case that in the local area of an NFL game there'd be a TV blackout if the stadium wasn't full, or some such? Back in the days of Marcus Allen when I had time to sit up all fucking night watching it in my shorts for 5 hours or whatever it takes to play an hour over there, and I had no responsibility. :lol:

(Sigh) Being a grown-up sucks. I used to love the NFL.

Guest firetotheworks

Last Orders is grim man.  Has it had a refurb to go with the new name?  Haven't been in there for ages, but last time I was in there the mens, lasses and disabled toilets were labelled "Gents", "Ladies", and "Mackems"

Fucking hell. That's terrible.

Imagine going in there as a disabled person though.

Last Orders is grim man.  Has it had a refurb to go with the new name?  Haven't been in there for ages, but last time I was in there the mens, lasses and disabled toilets were labelled "Gents", "Ladies", and "Mackems"

f***ing hell. That's terrible.

Imagine going in there as a disabled person though.

Aye, you'd be too embarassed to use the loo...