Football in pubs: North East pubs facing foreign channel crackdown

Guest neesy111

The thing is Sky have shot themselves in the foot. It's their high prices the charge to pub that has put pub landlord/landladies into the arms of foreign channels. Had they have charged a reasonable price then this would never have happened. No pub can really afford to pay the price for Sky, unless every pint was £5 and the pub was packed out all day not just during one game.

Spot on.

Same with illegal streams of games from abroad. If there was a decent quality and reasonably-priced way to watch your club's games when you can't attend, it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

As with the music and film industries, the football industry just hasn't moved fast enough to supply people with what they want at a decent price.

Jesus Christ yes. This is the twenty-first century and I should not have to be scouring the interweb for illegal streams with rat's ass picture quality just to watch Newcastle play whoever.

I have no compunction about stealing from people who are too stupid to properly exploit their product. I would buy it if you sold it you stupid cunts.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now legal... Let's see how much Sky pay now...

Yep could change football massively, cant see sky paying what they pay now.

or they buy the rights exclusivly and use the new ruling to become the sole provider to the whole of europe ?

my own personal hope is that football and sky take a hit in the pocket as it could well lead to a leveling out in terms of the massive disparities in club football, which at the moment is set up purely to maintain the status quo (the champs league, for example, couldn't be better designed to help the big get bigger at the expense of all others).

also, it's not technically legal yet. the euro court has ruled in favour it was only in response to the ik high court asking for guidance. i wouldn't put it past the uk courts to still find against under political pressure from rupert and friends.

#

Court decides Premier League cannot claim copyright of football matches but can for tv graphics, the league anthem, + video sequences.

by JoelHillsSky via twitter 9:38 AM

#

Prem League currently pumps out live "clean" feed of games for foreign broadcasters. Expect it to be stamped with graphics henceforth!

by JoelHillsSky via twitter 9:40 AM

#

Court decides Premier League cannot claim copyright of football matches but can for tv graphics, the league anthem, + video sequences.

by JoelHillsSky via twitter 9:38 AM

#

Prem League currently pumps out live "clean" feed of games for foreign broadcasters. Expect it to be stamped with graphics henceforth!

by JoelHillsSky via twitter 9:40 AM

Could just overwrite the graphic, unless they watermark each frame entirely or something but that would be massively gay.

also, it's not technically legal yet. the euro court has ruled in favour it was only in response to the ik high court asking for guidance. i wouldn't put it past the uk courts to still find against under political pressure from rupert and friends.

I don't think Rupert's in much of a position to be applying political pressure right now.

I don't think Rupert's in much of a position to be applying political pressure right now.

you reckon ? behind the scenes things will be pretty much as before.

Hope this results in a lot less money to teams and an end to skys monopoly. Still very early doors really, but anything that means football clubs and sky are losing money is great news to me :)

Hope this results in a lot less money to teams and an end to skys monopoly. Still very early doors really, but anything that means football clubs and sky are losing money is great news to me :)

Would this not just affect the smaller teams who need the sky moeny? I mean Man City/Chelsea would still be able to do what they do without the tv revenue?

Would this not just affect the smaller teams who need the sky moeny? I mean Man City/Chelsea would still be able to do what they do without the tv revenue?

In terms of how this will affect teams I have no idea, in fact I don't think anyone has to be honest. This ruling has potential though, and whilst you're right in saying it won't mean much for the likes of Chelsea, but hopefully it could end up being good in the long term. Not only that but anything that's sticking it to those cunts at Sky is fine by me.

I wonder how many foreign TV providers are now planning to aggressively push their products into the UK market? I know they're available now, but they're still pretty underground. Would like a clearer and simpler way to buy a foreign satellite system.

Anything that stops the players demanding insane wages is good news.

No idea what this means really, but just seems to me like it'll mean less money in the English league, and less people bothering to go to the games.

Where's the benefit?

Players paid less, tv and tickets cheaper. Always a good thing to encourage competition and stop price fixing.

No idea what this means really, but just seems to me like it'll mean less money in the English league, and less people bothering to go to the games.

Where's the benefit?

Players paid less, tv and tickets cheaper. Always a good thing to encourage competition and stop price fixing.

Totally agree.

Where's the benefit?

Or players paid the same, with TV and ticket prices increased to compensate.

Where's the benefit?

Or players paid the same, with TV and ticket prices increased to compensate.

don't think they could charge more than they are without losing it through drops in attendances, in general that is, it wouldn't affect man utd in that way.

Likely option is Sky (or the Premier League itself) would buy all European rights then sub-license through Europe, but they would do this based on selectively choosing those countries where interest is high enough that they can drive a higher price and thus there's less risk of them then selling decoders, etc. back to the UK cheaply.