Leon Best

Godot

You'd almost think certain posters had an agenda, or something.

Aye, you.

His offsides must have been into double figures today and one of the only times he was onside was when he must have thought that he was off so failed to move.  :lol:

I doubt that Mick as we were only caught offside 5 times according to Sky Sports, one of those was Sammy too that I remember.

I doubt that Mick as we were only caught offside 5 times according to Sky Sports, one of those was Sammy too that I remember.

I'll be very surprised if Best wasn't off more then 5 times in the first half although he did give a few free kicks away for what looked like fouls.

Worked his socks off in the 1st half. But once again he has a bit of a mixed performance. Good at times, and frustrating at other. Was still by far not our worst player this evening, had a decent game, but the amount of offsides were ridiculous.

Worked his socks off in the 1st half. But once again he has a bit of a mixed performance. Good at times, and frustrating at other. Was still by far not our worst player this evening, had a decent game, but the amount of offsides were ridiculous.

How many times was he offside btw?

For a lad who was constantly looking up the line, too many times.

Guest hatem garrincha

Your tolerance with Best comparing to your severity with HBA is just remarkable man 

Best was transparent today, his worst game since the start of the season.

Your tolerance with Best comparing to your severity with HBA is just remarkable man 

That's because Best has been an integral part of us being sat in 3rd in the league on 25 points after 11 games, Ben Arfa hasn't done anything to deserve praise this season but when he does he will get it.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was average today but worked his socks off and was unlucky I thought regarding some of the decisions that went against him when challenging for the ball with Everton's defenders. He badly needs a goal mind, you get a sense that with every passing minute in a game he's thinking that's X ammount of games without a goal. By the way hoofing the ball towards him and idneed Ba doesn't help their own game. Best can be a bruiser but he's shown he's better than that technically. Get the ball to his feet and he can hold it up, twist and turn and either get on his bike or play it to a team-mate. In the air he's actually very good and won a big number of headers today that he ought not to have won. He struggled when Distan came on mind who is physically very strong and quite quick still as well as being old school when it comes to defending against centre-forwards.

Shame he's guna be injured for Ireland, Traps aint guna be happy, he's going to think he is doing it on purpose after dropping out last time he was called up as well.

Man we are really looking light in numbers after today, good job there is no game next week but from the sounds coming from Pardew he doesn't seem confident a lot of them will be fit for city which is a shame. Wanted to go their with our strongest team and give it a real go.

To be fair to Best, he got injured during the game but played on long before he was subbed. Did someone stand on his foot or something? Did it show on TV what happened to him? He went down for a while. When he got back up he was limping for a while. Ba had the ball on the right wing and Best was limping to try to get in the box. Hopefully he'll be fit soon.

Guest Heneage

Touch like glue, especially on Monday there was a few times I expected him to lose it and it just stuck. I really like him too.

and thus continues what can at best be described as atrocious luck in the timing of his injuries, always seems to pick up an injury right before Ireland games, hope he can play some part in the playoffs otherwise the alarming prospect of Andy Keogh playing up front edges closer

To be fair to Best, he got injured during the game but played on long before he was subbed. Did someone stand on his foot or something? Did it show on TV what happened to him? He went down for a while. When he got back up he was limping for a while. Ba had the ball on the right wing and Best was limping to try to get in the box. Hopefully he'll be fit soon.

That was the tackle that also injured Neville.

I really like Best, always back him up but today he was poor.The offsides have been mentioned but he just didn't impose himself upon the game at all. shame that Marveaux went off early in the second as our distribution in the second half was appalling, Best could have done with more help but that doesn't excuse a lacklustre performance. The only player who actually helped us to play football in the last fifteen minutes was Ben Arfa.

No it wasn't. He worked his stots off despite being crocked from very early on and being given painkillers at the side of the pitch. He'd have come off much earlier if we weren't so stretched with injuries.

Was after about 35-40 minutes, was clearly struggling after that.  He was quality before thatI thought, but seemed to spend a lot of time fouling or being offside after the injury. 

We tend to go too direct when he's on the pitch, although he's good in the air, he runs channels and has pretty good feet TBF.  Has a clumsy looking technique, but it's effective, uses both feet and his touch is decent.  Wish we'd keep it down a bit more and stop solely using him as a battering ram.

Fair play to him for battling on injured, but once HBA settled, we played better football and retained possession better I thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Any info on how injured/uninjured this chap is ahead of tomorrow's game?

Seen a few quotes saying he's pleased/expecting Obertan and Cheick (surname for one, first name for the other) to be back. Not sure if this is indicative of their respective likeliness to start, or just that Best isn't fit yet.

I have a hunch, and suspect Best's injury may have cost him his starting XI place. :dontknow: