Leon Best

Godot

Really hope he steps up now and comes back to goalscoring form now that Ba is out.

We all know he's capable of putting them in when he has confidence, and it would be fantastic to see him succeed.

Really hope so too. We need him to return to his goalscoring form.

It was mentioned many pages back, it seems that Best thrives on being the "main man". Now that he is it once again, think the goals will start coming.

Guest neesy111

He needs service which our wingers are completely incapable of doing.

Doesn't matter when they both score goals :D

Aye without Obertan.  Surprise surprise.

Didnt sound that involved today tbh till Gutis goal.

Ameobi & williamson came closer. Needs to get his form back.

He sounded much more involved with another striker up top. The team sounded better too. Shola & Best up top is a must for me in this period.

Guest Howaythetoon

Badly needs a goal. Lately Shola is outperforming him in terms of effectiveness. If we are indeed after a new striker either in Jan or now, Best could find himself out of favour and out the door. I'd keep him myself because when he's confident he plays well and scores goals. Like I said though he badly needs a goal. Hopefully sooner rather than later for the lad. He's been a big part of our rise if you like since promotion.

he isn't a player whose going to make many chances for himself imo, he's either going to hold up play and set up someone else, or poach a goal set up by someone else. Probably needs to regain some confidence, need him next few games.

I agree with that. Look forward to seeing Ben Arfa and Best when Ba eventually leaves for the ACoN. People seemed to have turned on him very quickly.

You agree with somebody saying his only bad game was against Bolton.  :lol:

I agree with the sentiment he hasn't been as terrible as has been made out by some of the jackals on here, yes :lol: He's in a bad run of form, there's no question about that, but starting next to Ba and having HBA benched has, I suspect, prompted some to get on his back more than they otherwise would.

Objectively, he's been bad lately, but he isn't bad at all. His goal record at the club is still very competent. He still has all the attributes and components necessary to succeed and be in and around our first team squad (an eye for goal, strength, skill, hold-up play). He isn't getting the benefit of the doubt other more popular players in the team would to turn it around. FWIW though, yeah, I would have played Ben Arfa ahead of him in the last few games (as I've attested to previously).

Also, Ba has (in part) been helped in shining so brightly this season because of the largely unsung work of Leon Best. He's a fantastic player independently of Best of course, but Best has been a very unselfish team striker this season. The kind of striker that never gets the plaudits they deserve. (Not the last couple games, obviously!)

Edit: Sorry to keep modifying my posts, but I don't think it's coincidence Best's play has deteriorated at the same time as Pardew's reversion to long-ball tactics. He's a beast in the air, but he has more value to the team than is being used. Point to his game against Blackburn as an example of this. Ba got the hattrick, but Best was fantastic on the deck.

:smug: as fuck