How much will we spend this summer (should we stay up :))? NET

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Urrgh, fucking net spend. Why the fuck is everyone obsessed with net spend!?! It makes no fucking sense whatsoever, you're basically saying that you'll be happier if we pay over the odds on the players we bring in and get screwed over on the ones who leave and less happy if we manage to pull off some good deals. Make no mistake, that's fucking mental.  :cheesy:

All that matters is: Is our squad better or worse at the end than it was at the beginning, Yes or No?

Money only comes into it when you're considering the state of the club overall and if you are, then having a negative net spend is better than a positive one.

So pissing your pants in excitement over just how big our net spend is going to be is somewhat retarded, wouldn't you say?

Having said that, I just want to point out that I love you all  :smitten: and I'm not going to argue this any further, I've made my point and said all I've got to say.  :aww:

Urrgh, fucking net spend. Why the fuck is everyone obsessed with net spend!?! It makes no fucking sense whatsoever, you're basically saying that you'll be happier if we pay over the odds on the players we bring in and get screwed over on the ones who leave and less happy if we manage to pull off some good deals. Make no mistake, that's fucking mental.  :cheesy:

That's absolute rubbish mate, sorry.

Urrgh, f***ing net spend. Why the f*** is everyone obsessed with net spend!?! It makes no f***ing sense whatsoever, you're basically saying that you'll be happier if we pay over the odds on the players we bring in and get screwed over on the ones who leave and less happy if we manage to pull off some good deals. Make no mistake, that's f***ing mental.  :cheesy:

All that matters is: Is our squad better or worse at the end than it was at the beginning, Yes or No?

Money only comes into it when you're considering the state of the club overall and if you are, then having a negative net spend is better than a positive one.

So pissing your pants in excitement over just how big our net spend is going to be is somewhat retarded, wouldn't you say?

Having said that, I just want to point out that I love you all  :smitten: and I'm not going to argue this any further, I've made my point and said all I've got to say.  :aww:

I agree to a certain extent, if we do spend the Carroll money and bring in good players then we have a good chance of progressing next season.  We'll have a better chance if we spend more on good players than we will if we spend less on good players. 

Spending a lot on shite isn't as good as spending less on quality and I don't think anybody is arguing any different.

Put it this way, if Tiote and Enrique leave the club this summer is the club in a better position? I can't see how it could possibly be so.

Either we spend the money on finding adequate replacements (which would cost as much and therefore be completely pointless), or the squad is weaker.

Selling Carroll for a big fee is only worthwhile if we replace him in the squad with one or more equal or better strikers. Otherwise the squad is weakened.

I could see us spending £20-25m. I reckon we'd have been spending 10-15m anyway this summer, with the Carroll fee added and allowing for wages it is not an  unreasonable expectation. But then you have to predict the Ashley factor - namely what the fuck is going on in his head at any given time.

If Tiote or Enrique leave then we won't get much improvement for even £20m spent as they would obviously need replacing.

Lastly, the team spirit will survive only so many ins and outs, too many transfers will threaten what is arguably our strongest feature.

Like I said, I'm not going to argue, but if people are using net spend to make their decision over whether or not a transfer window has been successful - which they do - then it's clearly not rubbish to say that their logic is flawed, which is what I have done. My whole point is that net spend is a bullshit measure by which to gauge whether a transfer window has been successful or not, if you can explain how it can possibly be used without the contradiction I mention arising then I'll accept that I'm speaking rubbish, but I don't think you've got any chance of doing that.

I'd prefer to see a level of net spend because I want the club to show some ambition. By that I mean keeping its best, most in-demand players and supplementing them with quality. This will always generate a net spend because the players I don't mind us selling are shite and therefore nobody would pay good money for them. It doesn't, however mean I want the club to be ripped off and avoid good deals, that's just fucking stupid.

Pretty basic stuff this.

Like I said, I'm not going to argue, but if people are using net spend to make their decision over whether or not a transfer window has been successful - which they do - then it's clearly not rubbish to say that their logic is flawed, which is what I have done. My whole point is that net spend is a bullshit measure by which to gauge whether a transfer window has been successful or not, if you can explain how it can possibly be used without the contradiction I mention arising then I'll accept that I'm speaking rubbish, but I don't think you've got any chance of doing that.

The upcoming summer transfer window will be viewed as a success if we keep our best players and upgrade the shit ones. If you can explain how that would be done without a net spend then I'd love to hear it.

This is the problem with having a squad of some really good players alongside really bad ones. We've only got a few players at present who I think would fetch good money and could be adequately replaced with that money.

I think you are misunderstanding the term 'net spend', or, conversely, I am. Seems to me your talking about a negative or a deficit, ie spending more money than we generate from incomings. A net spend in the terms of the OP could be a positive or negative figure as far as I understand it.

The 35M plus what he gets for Jose and others may be trousered in the summer allowing Ashley to cut and run with less for the sale of the club than he would have originally wanted.

This is a more likely scenario I believe than one where he hangs around putting more money into an institution where he knows he is hated and reviled.

Gonna stray from selling Tiote or Enrique because that is despressing.

OUT: Xisco £2m, Routledge £2m, Kuqi (free), Campbell (free)

IN: Main striker, Young striker, Centre Back (Douglas), Central Midfielder, Freebies (Larsson, Marveaux)

I voted NET spend of £15m-£20m

Gonna stay from selling Tiote or Enrique because that is despressing.

OUT: Xisco £2m, Routledge £2m, Kuqi (free), Campbell (free)

IN: Main striker, Young striker, Centre Back (Douglas), Central Midfielder, Freebies (Larsson, Marveaux)

I voted NET spend of £15m-£20m

Be good if we got Douglas x 2 although work permits could be issues for both.

have we learned nothing ?

the ammount we spend is pointless if we don't get the right players. far better quality free bosmans than 3 or 4 luques. if we get in good quality players within our budget then i'm happy......too often we've spent beyond on players who haven't fulfilled.

let tiote be the benchmark.

have we learned nothing ?

the ammount we spend is pointless if we don't get the right players. far better quality free bosmans than 3 or 4 luques. if we get in good quality players within our budget then i'm happy......too often we've spent beyond on players who haven't fulfilled.

let tiote be the benchmark.

What would you consider to be our budget in the summer?

For the record not one person has said they want us to sign shit expensive players in favour of good cheap ones. Mr Straw Man rearing his head once again.

Guest EastEndGeordie

The thing about Mike Ashley is that he is very business savvy and as such won't be spending more than ten million for a player unless he knows that their name on the back of a NUFC shirt will sell and make him a healthy profit.

That said despite some of the horrible decisions he has made while at our club, he has also brought in some of the best players in recent memory (Tiote, Enrique etc) for minimal fees. As has been previously stated it seems very likely that we shall sign 2 or 3 free transfers (previously mentioned Larsson and Marveax seem likely) whilst spending money on a couple of players some of which we have never heard of but (hopefully like the case of Tiote) will be good strong players. Connor Wickham does indeed seem to be the biggest name we'll be signing if we're to consider how much we've been linked to him

So to answer the question no more than 10 Mil on players (15 mil max) yet our wages may be quite substantial.

EDIT : 10 Mil combined.