Footballing Style Table

Beren

As someone who has always placed a lot of emphasis on performance and style rather than merely just results, I was very pleased with not just our victory yesterday but our whole season. I'm a very happy fan when I see us knocking the ball about as we did after the first goal and looking like a side worthy to be competing for a European spot - and a team which other fans (perhaps somewhat begrudgingly) acknowledge to be worthy of representing some of the best footballing play in the league.

In parts of the season we've relied on a lot of diagonal balls to Carroll for goals, but even then we've still played some nice triangles and been able to advance up the pitch in that way - with Barton, Nolan, Enrique and Tiote being particularly influential in some of that link-up play. We can definitely implement a healthy mix of short and long balls, basically.

When Hughton left, I was worried Pardew would dismantle the style of play we had and place a greater stress on results - but to his credit we still pass the ball around quite nicely at times.

It's difficult to be impartial, but where would you place us in the league for footballing style? I've been mightily unimpressed by a lot of the sides I've watched this season, but here is my prototype table for most attractive footballing sides this season ( - judging each side in their pomp, I suppose, but can't be one game like!).

1. Arsenal

2. Blackpool

17. Liverpool (duller than ditchwater IMO - actually one of the most boring teams to watch, I don't know what it is about them, but for me personally...  :sleepy2: )

18. Birmingham

19. Blackburn

20. Stoke

1. Arsenal

2. Chelsea

3. Man Utd

4. Blackpool

5. WBA

6. Spurs

7. Newcastle

8. Man City

9. Bolton

10. Everton

11. Villa

12. Sunderland

13. Wigan

14. West Ham

15. Liverpool

16. Fulham

17. Wolves

18. Birmingham

19. Blackburn

20. Stoke

Totally disagree with Chelsea, Ginola14. They're entertaining when they meet the inferior physical teams that are not able to cope with brutes like Drogba. But look at their midfield, they have no one with pace or able to hit that magical pass. When they up against teams that match their defensive and physical qualities, you see the real Chelsea: no movement at all, everybody is standing a couple of feet from each other not interested in taking a run at all.. The two games against L.Pool and Fulham are good examples of this, and that's why they''re not getting the results.

1. Arsenal

2. Chelsea

3. Man Utd

4. Blackpool

5. WBA

6. Spurs

7. Newcastle

8. Man City

9. Bolton

10. Everton

11. Villa

12. Sunderland

13. Wigan

14. West Ham

15. Liverpool

16. Fulham

17. Wolves

18. Birmingham

19. Blackburn

20. Stoke

Good on you for having a go :thup:

Lots I agree with in there. Gonna have a crack at a full one myself now.

If it was based over the course of the whole season then I wouldn't have had them up there, but the OP said judging each side in their pomp. At the start of the season they were incredible to watch. I can see where you're coming from though, at the moment they are pretty dull and lifeless.

I love the Newcastle of this season. Never seems to give up despite falling behind (well, almost always). And plenty of unpredictably crazy scorelines to go with the performances.

Agree with Liverpool being down there. Watched them on a couple of occasions when Newcastle was not playing and they made a good sedative then.

1. Arsenal

2. Blackpool

3. Man Utd

4. Tottenham

5. Newcastle

6. Sunderland

7. Bolton (for early season form)

8. Chelsea (very effective earlier in the season without ever being pleasing on the eye, personally)

9. West Brom

10. Man City (as low as this for Milner, Barry... as high as this for Tevez, Silva)

11. Aston Villa

12. Everton (should perhaps be higher with Coleman and Baines, but it's difficult to fully appreciate their football with so little end product)

13. Wolves (as high as this for the way they've played against the big sides, otherwise much lower)

14. Fulham

15. West Ham

16. Wigan

17. Liverpool

18. Birmingham

19. Blackburn

20. Stoke

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

1. Arsenal

2. Blackpool

3. WBA

4. Spurs

5. Bolton

6. Sunderland

7. Newcastle

8. Man U

9. Chelsea

10. Wigan

11. Everton

12. Villa

13. West Ham

14. Man City

15. Liverpool

16. Fulham

17. Wolves

18. Birmingham

19. Blackburn

20. Stoke

I'm not sure we're really that stylish. At times we play nice stuff but we've also been guilty of some long-ball football, especially when Carroll was playing.

I like the way our style is heading, and the league isn't exactly full of great sides, but difficult to rate us very high up the style table right now IMO.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think we're utter shite at times, but we've had some exciting games (though even those didn't really divert from the 20-30 yard hoof ball strategy). I was just being biased.

We've had some exciting games, but I wouldn't say we're one of the more entertaining sides. We've relied a lot on long balls, crosses and set pieces. I haven't seen much sign of Arsenal-style creativity in playing the ball through the midfield.

We've not been lucky with injuries, particularly now, when our style of play is dictated by the players available.

We've had some exciting games, but I wouldn't say we're one of the more entertaining sides. We've relied a lot on long balls, crosses and set pieces. I haven't seen much sign of Arsenal-style creativity in playing the ball through the midfield.

We've not been lucky with injuries, particularly now, when our style of play is dictated by the players available.

we did, especially in the spell after halloween. however we have since gone on to dominate games in the way we did at everton. not that i put much store by opta stats and such but i'd like to see if many teams have a higher pass ammount and completion rate compared to ours.

Quite difficult.

1. Spurs

2. Manu

3. Blackpool

4. Arsenal

5. Bolton

6. Chelsea

7. Newcastle United

8. Wigan

9. West Brom

10. Sunderland

11. Liverpool

12. Fulham

13. Villa

14. West Ham

15. Man City

16. Everton

17. Wolves

18. Birmingham

19. Blackburn

20. Stoke

I'll do a La Liga one, just because I haven't watched enough of a lot of teams to judge, particularly I have yet to see Blackpool play for example and I'll gouge my eyeballs before watching more than 20 minutes of a game involving Stoke.

1. FC Barcelona

2. Real Madrid (not flowing football, but just too many great players)

3. Villarreal (spells of utter brilliance, but unconsistant)

4. Getafe (Míchel will manage Real Madrid when Mou leaves, written on the stars)

5. Valencia (still think they could do much better with what they have)

6. Real Sociedad

7. Sevilla (bad version of a counterattacking side, but still have some players worth to watch)

8. Athletic (most direct side in Spain, which makes for a nice change)

9. Almería (too gung-ho for their own good, but when it works it works)

10. Málaga

11. Atlético

12. Sporting

13. Mallorca

14. Zaragoza

15. Hércules

16. Espanyol (dour but effective)

17. Levante

18. Racing

19. Deportivo (f***ing s***)

20. Osasuna (criminal given they have some decent players there)

EDIT: Re-added Bilbao

Guest neesy111

I'll do a La Liga one, just because I haven't watched enough of a lot of teams to judge, particularly I have yet to see Blackpool play for example and I'll gouge my eyeballs before watching more than 20 minutes of a game involving Stoke.

1. FC Barcelona

4. Getafe (Míchel will manage Real Madrid when Mou leaves, written on the stars)

6. Real Sociedad

7. Sevilla (bad version of a counterattacking side, but still have some players worth to watch)

8. Almería (too gung-ho for their own good, but when it works it works)

9. Málaga

10. Atlético

11. Sporting

12. Mallorca

13. Zaragoza

14. Hércules

15. Espanyol (dour but effective)

16. Levante

17. Zaragoza

18. Racing

19. Deportivo

20. Osasuna

No Bilbao?

1. FC Barcelona

6. Real Sociedad

9. Málaga

10. Atlético

11. Sporting

12. Mallorca

13. Zaragoza

14. Hércules

16. Levante

17. Zaragoza

18. Racing

19. Deportivo

20. Osasuna

No Bilbao?

Zaragoza in at 13 and 17.

1. FC Barcelona

6. Real Sociedad

9. Málaga

10. Atlético

11. Sporting

12. Mallorca

13. Zaragoza

14. Hércules

16. Levante

17. Zaragoza

18. Racing

19. Deportivo

20. Osasuna

No Bilbao?

D'uh I had them but lost them when shuffled some teams around. I'd put them 8th. Most direct side in Spain, which makes for a nice change of pace, particularly since they have great players to put that style to work (Llorente is the best target man we have produced since Isma Urzáiz, and is probably three times the footballer).