Epic NUFC photos

Guest Tall Striker

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Howaythetoon

Colourised photo posted on a U.S. uniform-centric blog today.

Hughie Gallacher of Newcastle United (“The Magpies”) leading his team out at Highbury (Arsenal’s stadium) on 2 October 1926.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2ldzlgj.jpg

My absolute hero, fucking lush pic. Its quite sad reading this thread looking at all those epic pics knowing what the club represents today :(

I want that club and feeling back, that sense of pride and belonging!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1401/2151/400/Shearer.jpg

Anyone have a higher quality version of this?

fucking hell man..our greatest player scoring his final ever goal for us at our fiercest rivals. And we thumped them with this legend playing alongside those 3 blokes in the background

Bramble, Chopra, N'Zohbia and is that Babayaro in the far background? Ffs

Hughie Gallacher of Newcastle United (“The Magpies”) leading his team out at Highbury (Arsenal’s stadium) on 2 October 1926.

My absolute hero, f***ing lush pic. Its quite sad reading this thread looking at all those epic pics knowing what the club represents today :(

I want that club and feeling back, that sense of pride and belonging!

An overweight Adolf Hitler impersonating a policeman?

Guest Howaythetoon

I've read pretty much everything there has been written about Hughie Gallacher including lots of old match reports from local and national papers and if he was around today, he'd be one of the best players in the world without a doubt.

He had pace to burn, could dribble for fun, was the hardest working player on the pitch, was tough as old boots and could score with either foot and was also decent in the air too. He was also a leader. Mind he was a right worky ticket too. He would fight team-mates, match officials, opposing players, fans and directors alike.

He was a superstar in his day, like a film star or royalty. He womanised, was an alcoholic and suffered with depression and anger issues which ultimately led him to his death - throwing himself in front of an incoming train at ironically dead man's crossing.

Shearer, Wor Jackie, Super Mac and KK were all huge idols for Toon fans, but I don't think those greats were quite as revered by their respective generation of fans as Hughie was by his.

I'd go as far to say that he is NUFC's greatest ever player of all-time alongside a player called Bill McCracken, Gallacher's former team-mate.

If Hughie Gallacher was to be a football club it would be Newcastle United. His story is one of huge success and adventure yet also chaos and tragedy.

Legend the jersey look like the 1995-97 jersey

Am I OK to share that, over on the TF Facebook group?

HTT btw :thup:

I remember a quote from Milburn's autobiography where he quoted the song they used to sing about Gallagher which went "Do you ken Hughie Gallagher the wee Scotch lad,  the best centre forward Newcastle ever had" where Jackie said how true it was.

My Dad saw him play for Gateshead as a guest not long before he killed himself and told me he scored a goal where he trapped the ball from a cross with his head against the post and let it drop over the line. Even more remarkable when you consider it would have been an old skool Casey and not a modern ball.