Epic NUFC photos

Guest Tall Striker

Can’t help but cringe at the racist chants watching that. 
It was appalling at StJames back then, so glad the club and fans moved forward. 
No excuses but a lot of it was peer pressure and mass hysteria on young minds I think. 
Im glad I didn’t get sucked into that shit. 
Also it was rife around the country as well. 

Some nice posts lads 👍🏻

22 hours ago, Nowhere Man said:

No excuses but a lot of it was peer pressure and mass hysteria on young minds I think. 

Some nice posts lads 👍🏻

yeah it wasnt great.

always nervous. would never go unless it was with a white mate.

would never have dreamed of going alone or just with my brother.

22 hours ago, huss9 said:

yeah it wasnt great.

always nervous. would never go unless it was with a white mate.

would never have dreamed of going alone or just with my brother.

Can't imagine how that felt. I very shameful time which reflected the worst traits of society (not that it's been fixed) 

I was just a bairn so I couldn't go but some of my older mates would tell me what some scumbags would say about Andy cole whilst playing for us (when you think what he did!)

I started going the season after, and as a kid growing up in the 90s surrounded by men I could never understand it. 

First heard that word at a match in 1989, just one bloke saying it after one of their players had shot into the stand. Just sounded like one of those terms of abuse or a new swear word like 'wanker' we were just learning about at that age (9-10). Looked at me mam next to me and the stern look on her face and slight head shake read 'out of order/dont even think about it'.  Was all the education I needed.

Testament to the societal changes, in football certainly, that never heard the word much less chants again at a match for 10years where there was no excuse of ignorance/different times for the prick I sat near after borrowing a mates ticket for a one-off.

Both on the Gallowgate by chance.

On 27/09/2023 at 20:02, Nowhere Man said:

Some nice posts lads 👍🏻

Back then, skinheads from the NF used to regularly peddle their filth outside the Gallowgate. Bad times - I remember George Paris, Bobby Barnes and John Barnes getting awful abuse.

Sadly the worst racism I’ve seen is when following Newcastle and in the relatively recent past too 

Cup final this year. Lad stood next to me at Wembley was racist vermin shouting his mouth off and got pulled up for it but acted the twat in response 

And 2007ish, I saw disgusting racist abuse hurled towards black families and Asian stewards by our fans at Villa, Blackburn & West Ham. Was disgraceful 

Edited by bobbydazzla

46 minutes ago, Big Geordie said:

Back then, skinheads from the NF used to regularly peddle their filth outside the Gallowgate. Bad times - I remember George Paris, Bobby Barnes and John Barnes getting awful abuse.

Yeah, George Paris getting the treatment in that video. 

Bobby Barnes was getting abuse from all sides of the ground I seem to remember, the monkey chants and bananas being thrown on the pitch. 

Howard Gayle & Gary Bennett in the 1985 New Years Day derby. 

Tony Cunningham even got abuse off the idiots when he missed chances. 

Grim! bad times..

Andy Cole was the player who began to change everything-  the racists would have hated a young black lad playing centre-forward for Newcastle, and scoring loads of goals. Things are better now, but the pricks who still indulge in doing this need to be called out by everyone and dealt with. It's the only way.

I'm too young to have ever heard it en masse at SJP but I remember late 90s/early 00s games to Coventry and Bradford, when I was 10 or so, being shameful for a horrible chant by more than a tiny group.

An early-round UEFA Cup game in 2006 turned into a full-on racist sermon by a few dickheads. There were only a 100 or so fans there, the game was boring as fuck and it was the weekend of the 'liquid bomb' scare. So these guys were just loudly ranting away during the match. Was so ashamed. 

Edited by Superior Acuña

On 27/09/2023 at 13:26, TK-421 said:

The Indian war cry also at around 32mins of the footage.

Made up to hear the Apache cry blasting out,used to crack me up every time. We had Tarzan a few years beforehand, at similar decibels👊🏼