Epic NUFC photos

Guest Tall Striker

On 14/04/2023 at 09:15, magvicar said:

This was against West Ham when I was about 15.

I was in the Gallowgate end also at that game. This was a petrol bomb thrown in the Leazes corner with the east stand where the away fans were generally put in those days.

This was in the days when our crowds were sometimes 13,14,15  and 16 thousand for most of the season. Mind you we were in the second division and the ground was a bit ramshackle.

I remember just seeing a big flame erupt for a short while and the West Ham fans quickly segregating to leave a sort of circle around the petrol bomb.

download-26.jpg

I remember the song sung in the next home match we played against West Ham.

He's only a poor little hammer.

His clothes are all tattered and torn.

He came for a fight so we set him alight.

And now he won't come anymore.

Funnily (or not so funny) enough I was in the Leazes end in this game and the police were ready and waiting to catch the fans singing. Many were dragged out and I was nearly dragged out myself by managing to absorb into the crowd a bit and all the bigger lads were dragged out.

Anyone remember this?

I mean, it's not funny or clever but as a young kid you generally get dragged along with the crowd and are very impressionable.

I was stood outside the magpie the day West Ham came and I watched a dad and his young son walking past us all stood outside. They were on the other side of the road.

I remember this very clearly. The man was carrying the old type (obviously) ADIDAS bag with West Ham on it and a few skinheads spotted them and ran over and give the bloke a bit of a kicking in front of his kid.

I was gutted for them but luckily the kicking was more half-hearted and no harm was done other than for the bloke and his kid having some of their day ruined.

I was a little bit of a rebel myself in those days but although impressionable I drew the line at any of that garbage.

Wasn't there a similar incident in the live-on-TV home game v West Ham in 1986 when we won 4-0? I wasn't actually at that game but watched it on the telly, and midway through the game there was a massive bang that went off, and apparently it was in the West Ham end once again.

15 hours ago, Nowhere Man said:

Anyone go to ‘ZOOTS’ before the match?

🫣🫢🤤

Aye, late 80s. Excellent! Can remember one day pre a West Ham visit when someone just shouted "West Ham!" to give the false impression that some West Ham fans had came in. Whole place went up with no one to actually fight. People chucking pint glasses towards the entrance etc. Mad.

15 hours ago, Dancing Brave said:

" Chelsea where are you "  

Fans were out for revenge that day after a couple of Newcastle fans got stabbed outside the Farmers Rest previously. Never known such an edgy atmosphere than SJP that day. Last 10 minutes all you hear was ‘Chelsea must die’. 

On 23/09/2023 at 22:39, Wandy said:

Wasn't there a similar incident in the live-on-TV home game v West Ham in 1986 when we won 4-0? I wasn't actually at that game but watched it on the telly, and midway through the game there was a massive bang that went off, and apparently it was in the West Ham end once again.

Not sure about that one.

Yes, I vaguely remember that.

Probably just someone in the East Stand dropping their flask.

had that game on vhs.

some bassa taped over it!

Was in the benches for that game.

Yep, there was a huge bang at one point. Recall that vividly

There were loads of bangers went off during that match. They even mention in the commentary that "Newcastle appear to have cornered the market in firecrackers" It was close to bonfire night IIRC.

18 minutes ago, Wandy said:

This is the game I was talking about. I will have to watch it when I get the chance to see when the bang went off. :)

Found it already. :lol: Goes off at 14:22, and aye it was as loud as I remember. Brian Moore talking about a firecracker in the "corner of the ground", smoke, photographers and ambulance men in attendance. Still sounds more like a f'king bomb to me even now. Ah, the good old 80s. :lol:

1 hour ago, TwoForJoy said:

There were loads of bangers went off during that match. They even mention in the commentary that "Newcastle appear to have cornered the market in firecrackers" It was close to bonfire night IIRC.

Never liked fireworks. Always shit meself around bonfire night as loads of daft twats in the Gallowgate always set them off 

My memory is coming back to me now. I remember that I was actually at this game, but also taped it on the video recorder & then watched it when I got home. The firework definitely went off in the West Ham corner of the Leazes and I can remember the massive plume of smoke that came from there. No idea if it was the West Ham fans who actually set it off or if one of our lot threw it in there though.

Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but I'm sure it was mentioned at the time that this game was the first ever NUFC home match to be broadcast live on TV. Seems incredible that, since it was only late-1986.

15 hours ago, Wandy said:

Found it already. :lol: Goes off at 14:22, and aye it was as loud as I remember. Brian Moore talking about a firecracker in the "corner of the ground", smoke, photographers and ambulance men in attendance. Still sounds more like a f'king bomb to me even now. Ah, the good old 80s. :lol:

The Indian war cry also at around 32mins of the footage.

11 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hearing 'Aztec Gold' being played at the start always gets me a bit misty-eyed.  I used to make it my ring tone during WCs ... :) 

I had no idea the ITV theme tune was even called that. :)

15 minutes ago, ScottishMagpie said:

Thank you for posting that!  That's the SJP of my childhood.  Know it was a dump but it was my dump.

Yeah mine too. It’s nice to see match footage of the old West Stand at the beginning.

Watching that game reminds me how desperate those 8 years were between Keegan leaving and coming back. The club truly had no ambition, let 3 local lads leave to become superstars elsewhere and the ground was an absolute shithole. The Ashley years had their own kind of desperation but at least the club hadn’t slipped off the football radar altogether like it had by the time it got to early 1992.