KK - "Pardew Won't See A Penny Of It"

Crumpy Gunt

So the party line from the Ashley supporters is "we don't care how much is spent, as long as we buy the right players blah, blah, blah."

All well and good, but we've been told all money is being reinvested, this should be the case.

Say we do get 2-3 players for around £15m, the money is there to get 2-3 more, and should be spent.

That should be the case whoever is owner tbh, and we've been stung in the past more than many. It's just that apart from a few exceptions costlier=better tends to be the rule.

All depends on where we want to go as a club.

So the party line from the Ashley supporters is "we don't care how much is spent, as long as we buy the right players blah, blah, blah."

All well and good, but we've been told all money is being reinvested, this should be the case.

Say we do get 2-3 players for around £15m, the money is there to get 2-3 more, and should be spent.

There's no point in buying players for buying players sake. We need to bring in people with the right character who will improve the squad.

That should be the case whoever is owner tbh, and we've been stung in the past more than many. It's just that apart from a few exceptions costlier=better tends to be the rule.

All depends on where we want to go as a club.

It stinks of preparation for the inevitable disappointment of the transfer window tbh.

If we get say 3 average players in for smallish sums, these people will carry on defending the patron saint of shit clothes and label it a successful window. The majority of the £35m, imo, needs to be invested if we are going to push on for Europe.

I'd rather spend £5m on Tiote and Simpson types than blow the £30m on Owen, Luque & Boumsong, even if it means Ashley keeping the £25m and owing him less.

I'd rather spend £5m on Tiote and Simpson types than blow the £30m on Owen, Luque & Boumsong, even if it means Ashley keeping the £25m and owing him less.

Wouldn't we all. Unfortunately these type of players are few and far between.

My main point is that the money is there, the majority should be spent this summer, whether it be on 5-6 Tiote like signings or 2-3 marquee buys.

Wouldn't we all. Unfortunately these type of players are few and far between.

My main point is that the money is there, the majority should be spent this summer, whether it be on 5-6 Tiote like signings or 2-3 marquee buys.

I know what you are saying (and hope we make big waves) just it's not the end of the world if the full amount isn't invested in the summer, I'd rather us not panic and offer daft contracts, daft wages and daft offers for players who'll become the next noose around our necks, we've still got several to get rid of. Smith, Raylor & Xisco coming to mind. Smart buying, smart investment in the rights players and right characters will see the club continue to grow, even if it means missing out on some bigger names due to our prudence. I don't want to be that club again, almost at any cost tbh, its embarrassing.

I would have thought every Newcastle fan knows the problems that can result from giving big money to the wrong players.

The only thing I'm going to judge the summer on is how good the players are. The more quality players we can get in the better, but I'm not going to go mental if we don't spend exactly £35m net.

I would have thought every Newcastle fan knows the problems that can result from giving big money to the wrong players.

The only thing I'm going to judge the summer on is how good the players are. The more quality players we can get in the better, but I'm not going to go mental if we don't spend exactly £35m net.

Don't worry as plenty of other people will be happy to go mental on your behalf.

Sweet merciful lord. Obviously everyone will be delighted if we can make a few Tiote-like signings.

Personally though, there'll be a twinge of disappointment if come the end of the transfer window there's £20m in the bank that could have been used to really push on next season. Just sayin'  :coolsmiley:

The statement that I noted from Pardew was about how complicated transfers are.

In the days, pre-Bosman, pre-agents, pre-Sky, pre-Champs League, pre-Premiership, managers could be given a transfer budget to divvy up how they felt. That was because salaries did not form such a huge proportion of the club's turnover, and did not vary so much between members of the squad. Budgeting is now much more complicated.

The statement that I noted from Pardew was about how complicated transfers are.

In the days, pre-Bosman, pre-agents, pre-Sky, pre-Champs League, pre-Premiership, managers could be given a transfer budget to divvy up how they felt. That was because salaries did not form such a huge proportion of the club's turnover, and did not vary so much between members of the squad. Budgeting is now much more complicated.

Cant you just push the slider up and down to increase/decrease ur wage budget against transfer budget ?

;)

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/232753/Newcastle-hit-back-in-new-Keegan-row/?

The rift between Newcastle United and fans’ favourite Kevin Keegan widened to a gulf last night after the club hit back following his criticism of the £35million departure of Andy Carroll.

Keegan quit the club in 2008 in acrimonious circumstances after a row about transfer policy and earlier this week he doubted current manager Alan Pardew would be allowed to reinvest the Carroll cash on new players. But club chairman Derek Llambias is furious with his outburst, citing hypocrisy after Keegan claimed tens of millions in compensation at a tribunal following his walk-out as boss.

“I saw an interview with Alan Pardew where he said he hoped to get some of the £35m and I thought ‘Alan, you ain’t going to get any of that’,” said Keegan, who told Radio Five Live he accepted selling Carroll was the right decision but questioned its timing.

Noting similar overtones to when he sold James Milner from Newcastle to Aston Villa in 2008, Keegan added: “I think £35m for Andy Carroll – if I’d been manager, I’d have taken it.

Kevin Keegan quit Newcastle in 2008 in acrimonious circumstances

“But how can you spend it on the last day of the transfer window? My big argument was that we were selling James Milner for a lot of money - probably above the value we put on him - and I said, ‘Please don’t sell him before we get someone in’.”

But last night chairman Llambias poured scorn on Keegan’s observations. “How can Kevin Keegan talk about having any concern for this club’s finances when he tookaction against Newcastle United that could have finished us?” said Llambias.

“He was claiming close to £26m from Newcastle when he took his dispute over his departure to a tribunal.

“In the end he was awarded the minimum amount – just £2m.

“If he had been awarded what he was claiming, the club would not be here today. His remarks are astonishing.

“The very reason we got as much as £35m [for Andy Carroll] is because we concluded the deal on deadline day. Liverpool wanted him but we wanted our price and they had to pay it.

“As for his comment about not selling James Milner before replacing him, the club had signed Fabricio Coloccini, Danny Guthrie and Jonas Gutierrez in the weeks before he was sold.”

Sources at the club have already indicated that Pardew will be allowed to spend in the summer window and much of the Carroll fee will be earmarked for incoming transfer fees and wages.

Pardew and his directors know they are also likely to face a fight to hold on to Chiek Tiote, a largely unheralded signing when he arrived in a £3.5million deal from Dutch side FC Twente last August.

Like Carroll, Tiote blossomed in the Premier League and is now considered to be worth many times that initial fee.

And the club’s last skipper to hold aloft a major trophy, Bob Moncur, advised Keegan to curb his tongue.

“I’m a great believer that, when you’ve had your time as manager of a club, you should try to keep such thoughts a private matter,” said Moncur, a Fairs Cup winner in 1969.

“In my opinion, Kevin was ill-advised because, with the season going into the crucial final straight, it didn’t really help anybody.”

After splitting with Newcastle, Keegan claimed loss of salary and benefits totalling £8.6m and “stigma damages” – arguing that, as a consequence of his resignation, he had found and would continue to find it difficult to work again as a top-flight manager up to his 65th birthday. That sum was an eye-watering £16.5m.

The one good thing that might come from Keegan's comments is that they may rile up the club hierarchy so much that they give Pardew a bit of cash just to prove him wrong. At the very least it refocuses their attentions for the summer transfer window as they've now been very publicly called out over it. I know people joked about that earlier in the thread but looking at Llambias's latest strop i get the feeling Keegan's comments touched a nerve.

The one good thing that might come from Keegan's comments is that they may rile up the club hierarchy so much that they give Pardew a bit of cash just to prove him wrong. At the very least it refocuses their attentions for the summer transfer window as they've now been very publicly called out over it. I know people joked about that earlier in the thread but looking at Llambias's latest strop i get the feeling Keegan's comments touched a nerve.

Yep. Like I said:

Ashley will probably give Pardew £70m now just to spite Keegan. :thup:

They are two valid points - Keegan did try to sue the club for £25m, and it was only by last-day brinkmanship that the club drove Carroll's price up to £35m.

However, there's no point in Llambias trying to hit back, and he should have learned that by now. He is not going to win a PR battle with Kevin Keegan.

18. Thirdly, we do not believe that Mr Keegan would have accepted the job as Manager if it had been implicit in what he was told that he would not have the final say and we unhesitatingly accept his evidence on this point.

"I didn't have a brochure this time. It came like a whirlwind — it is like one of those lastminute.com holidays!

"There was no brochure — I just came. The exciting thing for me is that it is all here and it is a question of can we just package it and pull it all together? "

That quote was a week after he came back to us. Sounds like Keegan himself didn't even ask questions, just came back.

The club should have left this well alone IMO. Keegan's entitled to his say as a pundit but ultimately what he says about NUFC at this stage means nothing, by biting they look a bit petty. Ill-judged retort that didn't need to be made. I assume those who said Keegan should shut up agree they shouldn't have responded too, though I don't expect they will admit it.

The club should have left this well alone IMO. Keegan's entitled to his say as a pundit but ultimately what he says about NUFC at this stage means nothing, by biting they look a bit petty. Ill-judged retort that didn't need to be made. I assume those who said Keegan should shut up agree they shouldn't have responded too, though I don't expect they will admit it.

Neither party should have said anything really.