Newcastle United 1 - 2 Everton - 05/03/11 - post match reaction from page 26

Dave

It's always like this when S.Taylor is back in the line-up! Thought we had a solid back4 and now this local lad comes in and fuck everything up

what else could be done squads at the bare bones

You mean what else could be done to solve the problem of missing our right sided midfielder other then put a centre back at right back and a right back at right midfield??  How about put just about anyone at right midfield and leave the fucking defence as it is?  Why put two people out of position when you can just put one out of position?  Its not like Simpson is better at right midfield then anyone else.

A decent Everton have evidently turned up today. Two competitive sides with roughly the same about of quality about them on the pitch, both look really hungry. Hope we can turn it around, but that was hardly a shameful showing. It does, of course, suck that we're behind having looked so in control though.

Arteta has been class, but has been allowed so much time on the ball it's untrue. Neutralising him by giving him no room to breathe is half the battle against these lot. Then it's just maintaining the pressure. We are creating chances, but we're way too exposed - and while the mounting injuries/players playing out of position aren't helping - we could at least keep a decent rough shape at the back.

Also, this forum is barmy at times :lol:

We've not been brilliant, but Osman's goal was as much about them being great today as it was about us being defensively poor. Need to give credit where credit's due.

It's always like this when S.Taylor is back in the line-up! Thought we had a solid back4 and now this local lad comes in and f*** everything up

what else could be done squads at the bare bones

Keep the same backline which has been playing great lately and stick Taylor on the bench instead! Surely there's one youth player who can do a decent job in the midfield than throw Simpson on the right wing which has proven to be a big mistake

A decent Everton have evidently turned up today. Two competitive sides with roughly the same about of quality about them on the pitch, both look really hungry. Hope we can turn it around, but that was hardly a shameful showing. It does, of course, suck that we're behind having looked so in control though.

Arteta has been class, but has been allowed so much time on the ball it's untrue. Neutralising him by giving him no room to breathe is half the battle against these lot. Then it's just maintaining the pressure. We are creating chances, but we're way too exposed - and while the mounting injuries/players playing out of position aren't helping - we could at least keep a decent rough shape at the back.

You what? :lol:

There are more goals in this. It's not like we've been solid, we've panicked whenever the ball's come near our goal. I think it's a fair scoreline overall so far but I definitely don't think it's the end of the scoring.

As I've said countless times, when we have space (or should I say presented with space) we're a pretty good side and that's been true for decent parts of that half. Equally, get into us more and shut us down and you can easily get something from this.

I did think we were very in control after we scored. It didn't last for a very long time, admittedly! But we did look comfortable.

Lot of overreaction to that first half.

Bringing Shola on makes sense, moving Simpson back to defense makes sense, would maybe prefer Jonas moved right and Lovenkrands on the left, Jonas' workrate could perhaps cover for some Taylor nonsense. 

Still a chance to take all 3 points.  Everton by no means impregnable.

O0

This has all come about through the desire to crowbar fat-boy Taylor back into the team despite the fact that he's not as good as the other players in his position, put him on the bench and play the best players available in their best positions, for fuck's sake!

When Williamson had that chance at the end of the half it was a bit weird to think that would have put us level, felt like there was more than one goal in it, we were that bad.

Like who? 

Have you seen the bench? I don't think it's got anything to do with "crowbarring" Taylor in, it's trying to get the experienced players on there of which we are limited.

This game could be a turning point in the season and not in a good way.

This kind of team selection and performance, especially at home will see us sucked in to the thick of a relegation battle.

By saying team selection you imply there was a team to choose from, ffs Pardew had no options at all. We have no squad at the minute.

Shame I'm not saying that at all or you'd have a point.

Shittest starting XI I've seen us put out in a few years.

appalling

Given the injuries and suspension, how would you have picked the team?

Not blaming pardew btw. Though I'd have ferguson on the left and Jonas on the right with Taylor on the bench.

Squad is in tatters, walking wounded, Europe this season would gave killed us off with this squad, glad it's 6th place finish now

You what? :lol:

There are more goals in this. It's not like we've been solid, we've panicked whenever the ball's come near our goal. I think it's a fair scoreline overall so far but I definitely don't think it's the end of the scoring.

As I've said countless times, when we have space (or should I say presented with space) we're a pretty good side and that's been true for decent parts of that half. Equally, get into us more and shut us down and you can easily get something from this.

I did think we were very in control after we scored. It didn't last for a very long time, admittedly! But we did look comfortable.

Oh, the 10 minutes or so after you scored, you were all over us. But I think generally we've merited a lead - not that that means much, of course. The first 2 goals came when the other side were on top, but that 2nd goal for us seemed to knock the stuffing out of you and I think you needed half time more than us.

Harper

Simpson Williamson Coloccini S.Taylor

Gutierrez Tiote Nolan Ferguson

Ameobi Best

?

:undecided:

Should have been the starting line up. Without a doubt.

EDIT: didn't see Jose not in there.  :laugh2:

Don't think either team has been playing fluently enough to merit the description "in control."

At the moment it's just two shit, depleted sides banging their heads against each other. There will be more goals in this. Possibly many more.

Guest MrSundlofer

It's okay. Still 45 minutes to play. The adjustments we should do is:

Danny Simpson -> right back

Steven Taylor -> left back

Peter Lovenkrands to be substituted. He's not played well and he's not a right winger. Shane Ferguson or Danny Guthrie on. We need a Joey Barton on the pitch dictating the tempo and be a creative spark. Maybe Danny Guthrie then?

Harper

Simpson Williamson Coloccini S.Taylor

Gutierrez Tiote Nolan Ferguson

Ameobi Best

?

:undecided:

Nowt wrong with that but Pardew wants more out of position  :idiot2:

We've not been brilliant, but Osman's goal was as much about them being great today as it was about us being defensively poor. Need to give credit where credit's due.

Totally disagree, there was nothing great about that goal, it was a break we should have dealt with, even then the finih was lucky going through Enrique's legs.