Olivier Bernard lays into Souness

Leazes1986

Guest Heneage

Babayaro was another player on the decline bought from a top side. Our transfer policy was crazy at that time.

Shepherd and Souness certainly showed the players and Bobby Robson how tough they were in negotiations. Bombing out pacey troublemakers like Bellamy, Robert and Bernard and bringing in economical superstars like Owen and Boumsong. No one pulled the wool over their eyes, no sirree.

Wasn't Souness's appointment also a symptom of the way that the club was being run at the time? After him came Roeder.

Following Sir Bob's sacking and the circumstances around it, we became a very dodgy proposition for any manager whose reputation was decent and intact. (Souness was supposed to be sixth choice) You had to be a bit desperate to accept working under Freddie, and with Shearer lurking in the wings as your likely successor (as was believed at the time).

One of Bernard's best moments occured against City at home in late 2003 - the same day England won the World Cup if memory serves.

Bernard managed to somehow slide and keep in an overhit pass on the far side, then in a few motions absoutely anihiliated the full-back and whipped in an absolutely perfect cross for Shearer to head home. Terrific work.

One of Bernard's best moments occured against City at home in late 2003 - the same day England won the World Cup if memory serves.

Bernard managed to somehow slide and keep in an overhit pass on the far side, then in a few motions absoutely anihiliated the full-back and whipped in an absolutely perfect cross for Shearer to head home. Terrific work.

Nah, we played Portsmouth the day they won the World Cup.

EDIT: your memory's better than mine. Pompey was the home game prior to that.

Guest dazzanufc1892

best bernard moment for me was man c (h). chased the ball down on the wing, slid on the soaked floor and kept the ball in, stood up, perfect ball in the box, shearer header.

man couldnt mark a man to save his life thought

There was this brilliant time against man city when he slid to keep the ball in, stood up, whipped in this perfect cross and shearer i think it was planted the header in. sublime it was

There was this brilliant time against man city when he slid to keep the ball in, stood up, whipped in this perfect cross and shearer i think it was planted the header in. sublime it was

He did something similar to that against Man City too. I vaguely remember him sliding to keep in an overhit pass, before standing up and whipping in this cross which Shearer burried with his head. Was the day England won the world cup iirc.

He did something similar to that against Man City too. I vaguely remember him sliding to keep in an overhit pass, before standing up and whipping in this cross which Shearer burried with his head. Was the day England won the world cup iirc.

:lol: I think.

He did something similar to that against Man City too. Stopped the ball going out of play then whipped it in to Shearer, who netted with his head.

He did something similar to that against Man City too. Stopped the ball going out of play then whipped it in to Shearer, who netted with his head.

Good point. I'm surprised that hasn't been mentioned, it was brilliant. Probably one of my favourite Bernard moments.

Ahh..I remember that situation. Bernard was sublime in attack. A clone of Bernard and Enrique would probably be the best lb in the world...

Bernard + Enrique = Ashley Cole.

The clone = Much better :) The difference between Cole and Enrique now is the former's ability to contribute more in attack. Enrique is to inefficient. But overall Enrique has been outstanding in defense this year, better than Cole..

Bernard + Enrique = Ashley Cole.

The clone = Much better :) The difference between Cole and Enrique now is the former's ability to contribute more in attack. Enrique is to inefficient. But overall Enrique has been outstanding in defense this year, better than Cole..

Seriously, do you ever actually watch Newcastle? Inefficient going forward? He's put in several of the crosses of the season in recent weeks alone (for Lovenkrands - twice - and Leon Best). By contrast, his defending in recent weeks has been variable.

A couple of crossers he's made should have been taken better care of, yes. But generally his crossing is not good enough.  On two occasions against Bolton we outnumbered them inside their own box, only for Enrique (Jonas was the culprit in the 2nd attempt) to blast the cross to a throw in, and he was not under pressure at all. And as I said, Enrique's defensive play has overall been good this year.. that implies that he's not been up to his usual standards the recent matches..He's running much forward, but his involvement does rarely result in goals. And as already mentioned, that's mainly because both he and Jonas makes football more difficult than it has to be. Enrique is not using Jonas when he overlaps, and vice versa. And They're not attempting triangular play. They rely more on dribbles. That's fine when playing against weaker teams. But against better teams, you're dependent on passing the ball  quickly to create chances..