Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wijnaldum and Mbemba have been ok. Mitrovic still an uknown quantity. Thauvin looks a bit dodgy. Hardly fair.

If he chose the manager though, then absolutely.

Mbemba looks a good player but not the type we needed IMO. Muscled off by that Deeney a couple times. Very comfortable on the ball and seems a good character.

Wijnaldum. Scored. Not done much else. Looks to have ability though. Been below par as have the rest of the lads. Skipped a challenge and produced a good forward ball today, need more of that.

Mitrovic. Got himself a silly suspension. Is a massive, massive player for us now though. He has to hit the ground running from now on.

Thauvin. Going based on a few games and his reputation in France. Just isn't very good. Got on the ball loads today, showed very little ability. Looks fairly quick but.. a long way from Ginola, Robert & Hatem. None of those needed any time to settle either.

Overall... this wasn't enough. None of those lads look to be the finished product or exactly what we needed. If Mitro can hit the ground running after suspension that could change everything.

We all know that is down to Ashley and his penny pinching.

the thing is we could have gotten Austin for not much more than we spent on Mitrovic

Wijnaldum and Mbemba have been ok. Mitrovic still an uknown quantity. Thauvin looks a bit dodgy. Hardly fair.

If he chose the manager though, then absolutely.

Mbemba looks a good player but not the type we needed IMO. Muscled off by that Deeney a couple times. Very comfortable on the ball and seems a good character.

You don't think Mbemba is hampered by having an aging Colo (past-it) next to him? Given the right partner he could prove to be one of our best CB's, imo.

I like him. I don't want to criticise him. But he looks more of a Colo replacement than Colo partner. Shows more ambition and drive on the ball than Colback and Anita combined though.

The problem is, while we've been looking to unearth hidden gems on the cheap, even so called smaller clubs are spending big money now, and a lot of them have better squads as a result. We finally spent some money this season, but others have been doing it for 3 seasons now and they are spending on proven players albeit a bit older.

The problem is, while we've been looking to unearth hidden gems on the cheap, even so called smaller clubs are spending big money now, and a lot of them have better squads as a result. We finally spent some money this season, but others have been doing it for 3 seasons now and they are spending on proven players albeit a bit older.

This is it. The poor/average teams in the division have gotten better. We haven't out stripped them. After last season we needed to settle the boat. We should've gone with a mix imo. A couple with PL experience or with a lot of experience in general. And the young unproven lads/foreign players.

The thing that sticks out to me is this ridiculous policy of not buying anyone over the age of 26. We are so devout of any experience in the team and its all down to this ridiculous policy.

This is why we are total pushovers this squad is crying out for old heads in the spine of the team CB cm cf ...what I'd give for a 30+ lampard Gerrard lambert type of player. All the successful teams have experience hence why Arsenal can't win the league

How can you expect any sort of success on the pitch when the individuals playing have been bought for the wrong reasons. We don't build teams, we accumulate assets bought as low as possible to be sold on for as much money as possible. The needs of the team come a very poor second to the needs of the balance sheet. We all know Ashley isn't going to fund anything so if we want to buy players then we need to sell a few to fund it. It's absolutely no surprise to anyone that we look shit, that doesn't seem to matter any longer, we just need to be less shit than another 3 sides every season.

This might be the year though. Hard to pick 3 sides worse at this point, it's not even October and we're already in the shit. Roll the dice again and hope 3 teams capitulate. Yay. 

As if Carr deserves credit for recommending we sign a 25-year-old highly rated France international, anyway.

Was he not somehow the only/first scout who found out about Cabaye's limited transfer fee, which we profited from? Of all the problems we have Graham Carr is near the least of them, although if true that he wanted McClaren (who he is mates with I believe) that is a serious, serious mark against him.

As if Carr deserves credit for recommending we sign a 25-year-old highly rated France international, anyway.

Was he not somehow the only/first scout who found out about Cabaye's limited transfer fee, which we profited from? Of all the problems we have Graham Carr is near the least of them, although if true that he wanted McClaren (who he is mates with I believe) that is a serious, serious mark against him.

Cabaye was just a good deal at the time, like a lot of our players. Sometimes the team needs a specific cog in the wheel rather than a good deal and that's where we are always going to be handicapped with a retail merchant owning the football club.

Guest neesy111

Carr is a fucking huge problem, he's living off 1-2 very good transfers which all clubs make in a 4-5 year period in-anycase.  Our transfer policy the last 3 years has been completely shambolic and it still is, how carr has the say in a managerial appointment is beyond me tbh.

For every cabaye, there's a cabella + reviere which he is responsible for.

Carr has been found out big time - he is, as has been said, living off the back of signing Cabaye and even then, it wasn't exactly rocket science as the guy was an established French international.

He has been successful in conning Ashley and the CEOs he has worked with because none of them know anything about football and Ashley just wants bargains he can move on.

Carr obviously enjoys his trips to France and his Duty-Free booze etc....probably too late to do anything this season but really the whole background team of the club are a shambles...amateurs being exposed badly by the rest of the PL..

Carr has been found out big time - he is, as has been said, living off the back of signing Cabaye and even then, it wasn't exactly rocket science as the guy was an established French international.

He has been successful in conning Ashley and the CEOs he has worked with because none of them know anything about football and Ashley just wants bargains he can move on.

Carr obviously enjoys his trips to France and his Duty-Free booze etc....probably too late to do anything this season but really the whole background team of the club are a shambles...amateurs being exposed badly by the rest of the PL..

What a load of horse shit.

What a load of horse s***.

Some advice which you badly need - it is better to keep one's mouth SHUT and be thought an idiot than to open it(or in your case, type it)and prove the matter beyond doubt.

I think even you might just get this....

I always find it difficult to appraise a (chief) scouts work without knowing what goes on in the boardroom. Were the failings (Cabella, Riviere, etc.) we signed his first choice options or did we ignore his advice on other players because they were too old (resale value) or too expensive? Did he have any say in how players are used by the manager, who gets binned and for how much (Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Santon, Abeid, etc)? Does he have a say in who becomes the manager (Carver and now McClaren)? Depending on his influence and decision making power on these matters he's doing a very good job (advising to bring in fairly decent players on a showstring budget) or a catastrophic one (signing some players unsuited to the league, letting some go for peanuts and appointing two buffoons as manager).

Personally I find it hard to believe that until very recently Carr had much power at all, and very easy to believe that many of the club's mistakes on the transfer market are more attributable to the likes of Llambias, Kinnear and Charnley who he has had to report to and who have had the ultimate say on transfer activity. But each to their own.

I always find it difficult to appraise a (chief) scouts work without knowing what goes on in the boardroom. Were the failings (Cabella, Riviere, etc.) we signed his first choice options or did we ignore his advice on other players because they were too old (resale value) or too expensive? Did he have any say in how players are used by the manager, who gets binned and for how much (Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Santon, Abeid, etc)? Does he have a say in who becomes the manager (Carver and now McClaren)? Depending on his influence and decision making power on these matters he's doing a very good job (advising to bring in fairly decent players on a showstring budget) or a catastrophic one (signing some players unsuited to the league, letting some go for peanuts and appointing two buffoons as manager).

Personally I find it hard to believe that until very recently Carr had much power at all, and very easy to believe that many of the club's mistakes on the transfer markrt are more attributable to the likes of Llambias, Charnley and Charnley who he has had to report to and who have had the ultimate say on transfer activity. But each to their own.

Sense spoken as per.

Personally I find it hard to believe that until very recently Carr had much power at all, and very easy to believe that many of the club's mistakes on the transfer market are more attributable to the likes of Llambias, Kinnear and Charnley who he has had to report to and who have had the ultimate say on transfer activity. But each to their own.

This. As a board member he likely has no more say Bobby concur does.

If you're going to use those excuses for Carr then you have to use them for just about every manager at just about every club when it's those making transfer decisions. 

I think we'd slaughter our managers if they made as many poor buys as Carr is heavily involved in, Carr is a big part of our problem.

Guest neesy111

If you're going to use those excuses for Carr then you have to use them for just about every manager at just about every club when it's those making transfer decisions. 

I think we'd slaughter our managers if they made as many poor buys as Carr is heavily involved in, Carr is a big part of our problem.

:thup:

Lest we forget, the failure McClaren is only here on Carr's recommendation. He's basically built this mythical reputation on the success of the Cabaye signing, the vast majority of his signings have either been utter toss or completely unsuited to the Premier League.

I said about a month ago that Mitrovic was another one of 'Carr's duffers' and was shouted down as a WUM.

Lest we forget, the failure McClaren is only here on Carr's recommendation. He's basically built this mythical reputation on the success of the Cabaye signing, the vast majority of his signings have either been utter toss or completely unsuited to the Premier League.

I said about a month ago that Mitrovic was another one of 'Carr's duffers' and was shouted down as a WUM.

Rightly fucking so.