Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

I always find it difficult to appraise a (chief) scouts work without knowing what goes on in the boardroom. Were the failings (Cabella, Riviere, etc.) we signed his first choice options or did we ignore his advice on other players because they were too old (resale value) or too expensive? Did he have any say in how players are used by the manager, who gets binned and for how much (Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Santon, Abeid, etc)? Does he have a say in who becomes the manager (Carver and now McClaren)? Depending on his influence and decision making power on these matters he's doing a very good job (advising to bring in fairly decent players on a showstring budget) or a catastrophic one (signing some players unsuited to the league, letting some go for peanuts and appointing two buffoons as manager).

Personally I find it hard to believe that until very recently Carr had much power at all, and very easy to believe that many of the club's mistakes on the transfer market are more attributable to the likes of Llambias, Kinnear and Charnley who he has had to report to and who have had the ultimate say on transfer activity. But each to their own.

If you're going to use those excuses for Carr then you have to use them for just about every manager at just about every club when it's those making transfer decisions. 

I think we'd slaughter our managers if they made as many poor buys as Carr is heavily involved in, Carr is a big part of our problem.

On the balance I think we have brought in more good players than bad ones on his recommendation and that is, as I said earlier, after the likes of Llambias, Kinnear and Charnley have had a chance to fuck up any deals like for Aubameyang and Lacazette in recent years. Unless other scouts make significantly less misstakes under similar circumstances I remain unconvinced that our scouting is a major problem. I mean even looking at someone like

Cabella: I don't think that is a bad spot per se. Handing him over to the fuckwit managers we employ however is a much bigger issue and a big part in him ultimately failing here.

I'll be honest. I have little hope for Thauvin.

Why? Playing abroad for the first time in his career. Six league games in and you're about to write him off?

No wonder your posts are laughable most of the time.

Why? Playing abroad for the first time in his career. Six league games in and you're about to write him off?

I'm not writing him off. I just don't expect the lad to get to a really high level any time soon. He's had the ball a decent amount in those limited appearances and I haven't seen much sign of real quality or penetration from the lad. While not a strong looking lad his game seems like it should suit the PL. Likes a direct dribble. He doesn't even come with a big reputation either. Didn't have a good season last time out. French lad I spoke too for a good while about football seems to think he's a decent player but won't pull up any trees. Long way off HBA. Something he said also stuck: his style might be more suited to the PL but Cabella's the more talented player. I didn't even think Cabella looked a top talent!

Guest neesy111

Because maybe he watched him for Marseille and saw why the Marseille fans were delighted to see him leave. 

You complain about other posters but you come in here and think you know everything.

Because maybe he watched him for Marseille and saw why the Marseille fans were delighted to see him leave. 

You complain about other posters but you come in here and think you know everything.

[emoji38] in what way does my post suggest I think I know everything?

I always find it difficult to appraise a (chief) scouts work without knowing what goes on in the boardroom. Were the failings (Cabella, Riviere, etc.) we signed his first choice options or did we ignore his advice on other players because they were too old (resale value) or too expensive? Did he have any say in how players are used by the manager, who gets binned and for how much (Ben Arfa, Mbiwa, Santon, Abeid, etc)? Does he have a say in who becomes the manager (Carver and now McClaren)? Depending on his influence and decision making power on these matters he's doing a very good job (advising to bring in fairly decent players on a showstring budget) or a catastrophic one (signing some players unsuited to the league, letting some go for peanuts and appointing two buffoons as manager).

Personally I find it hard to believe that until very recently Carr had much power at all, and very easy to believe that many of the club's mistakes on the transfer market are more attributable to the likes of Llambias, Kinnear and Charnley who he has had to report to and who have had the ultimate say on transfer activity. But each to their own.

That might have been the case in the past, but in McClaren he's got someone on board who is on the same page so he can't really use that as an excuse any more. All the summer signings presumably arrived with McClaren's approval.

Cabaye has been the best but who do you think has been his worst signing?

Gouffran.

To be fair to him, Gouffran at least had a small purple patch where he scored a few goals.

I'd go with Amalfitano personally.

I'd go CabellAa talking into account of the fee paid - personally I think Carr is part of the problem also and if I was Ashley would clear the entire board and start again but he won't as we all know

I've followed his career since he was linked with us originally and have watched him - he's a great player who looks a bit deer in headlights right now.  He's had ups and down for sure, but when a man like Bielsa praises him and such I respect that. It's madness to write any player off this early unless said player is having mares beyond belief - he dominated a s*** league cup game, he's created a few things here and there, then not on others, played some awful set pieces followed by some decent, and has been attempting to be very creative. He'll learn.

Cabaye has been the best but who do you think has been his worst signing?

Gouffran.

To be fair to him, Gouffran at least had a small purple patch where he scored a few goals.

I'd go with Amalfitano personally.

I'd go CabellAa talking into account of the fee paid - personally I think Carr is part of the problem also and if I was Ashley would clear the entire board and start again but he won't as we all know

Gouffran was a AP signing. Cabella looks to be his worst signing as said above due to the outlay and the fact they've not given him a second chance/season.

Gouffran repaid his relatively small transfer fee in his first few months at the club. Sadly since he did he's been misused in a number of ill fitting positions.

Thauvin although early days looks like a vanity purchase. His stats are very average 1.2 in 8 goals and 1.1 in 8 assists in the easier French league. Looks like another one got in not as a finished article or close to but one that can be profited on at some point. I do like the fact that he tries to take players on and it will take a couple of months to pick up the pace of the league....Honestly not sure if he's athletic enough or has that burst of pace to do real damage. Hope he does obviously.

Guest Howaythetoon

He can sling his hook as well, fully in bed with Ashley and co, it's a total wipeout we need to get our club back, top to bottom.

Regardless of talent or lack of talent he's failed significantly when it comes to identifying players with character and leadership. Empty headed cunts.

Please fwd the list of all the players he's identified as targets. I wasn't aware it was in the public domain. Thanks.