Newcastle United vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers, 02/04/11 - Pre-match Thread

ChrisMcQuillan

Guthrie isn't that bad. He'll do alright at home against this lot.

I don't mind him at all, I just fear for our lack of mobility and physical presence when he's paired with Nolan. I'll support him though, I think he's a decent player.

It's imperative that we take the game to them. Normally i'd have Lovenkrands over Ranger but his tendency to go missing simply can't happen tomorrow. I'd go Ranger and Shola and do our best to get an early goal, keep the play in their half. Tiote, obviously, is a massive loss - and with that CM-pairing's lack of pace and stamina, it'll be an effort trying to defend our way to victory. We've got the home advantage and Wolves are a poor side, even without Cheick there's no excuses for us not to win.

Barton and Coloccini will have to have excellent games tomorrow. Given Barton plays inside, he's got to be as fit and ready as he's ever been tomorrow. Massive game for him - he's had a brilliant season and can't let it fizzle out, cos we need our best players now more than ever.

2-1 us.

Guest The_Optimistic

Well if Guthrie has a point to prove then he will not get a better chance than against Wolves tomorrow.

Guthrie is awful and no disrespect to the lad but he just isn't good enough for the Premier League. Sadly, with Tiote missing he's the best we have to bring in as a replacement which speaks volumes about how small and weak our squad is.

Thought Guthrie was decent against Spurs, remember him getting smacked in the face with the ball and then again in the chest after the second he went off with "cramp" :lol:

Guest Roger Kint

I would find a place for both Ferguson & Ranger.

We have one, its a few seats behind Pardew

Don't Ranger much currently. Crying out to have a full season at a decent Championship side.

herping the derp derp

hurhurhurhurhur

http://chzderp.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/hurr-durr-derp-face-i-will-rid-this-town-of-herping.jpg

I would happily take 3 points.

Me too mate :lol:

Looks like a 50,000 + crowd for this one.

Other than the edges of the Gallowgate Upper and the wing sections of the Platinum Club the rest of the ground is as good as sold out. Looks like around 50k sold already, especially as Wolves have sold out so could be over 51k by kick off. Incredible considering we have 4 home wins all season.

Not to be all kneejerk but despite hating Guthrie earlier on in the season I am fairly confident in the lad now to stand in (obviously nowhere near Tiote, just as someone to come in the squad).

We will need to replace one of them around 60 minutes though, whose next in line? I don't want to move the lad but Barton may have to go central to allow a sub.

Or (and this will be a shit sandwich) it wouldn't be the end of the world to see what Perch is like in a holding midfield role. He has pace and can put in a decent tackle, the rash tackle he will obviously come but will hopefully be far enough out not to cause problems (I doubt he will sit on the defence like Smith).