Newcastle United vs. Manchester United (19/4/11 at 7.45pm) Pre-Match Thread

ChrisMcQuillan

Guest BooBoo

Even with a fixture pile up, Ferguson will field his strongest possible team. I remember a few years ago how he said he always considered Newcastle a big game and as such liked to field his big game players.

So unfortunately unlike the mackems who faced duds like Owen, Macheda and Obertan, we'll be up against Rooney, Giggs and Hernandez.

1-3

It says on nufc.com that "Joey Barton is one booking away from reaching ten yellows for the season."

When is the cut off point for cards received leading to a 2 game suspension? Is the Man U game the last game before the cut off?

I guess we can expect a 2 game suspension for Barton. I can't see him getting through a game against Man U without getting booked, be it a deserved booking or a victimised by the ref booking.

It says on nufc.com that "Joey Barton is one booking away from reaching ten yellows for the season."

When is the cut off point for cards received leading to a 2 game suspension? Is the Man U game the last game before the cut off?

I guess we can expect a 2 game suspension for Barton. I can't see him getting through a game against Man U without getting booked, be it a deserved booking or a victimised by the ref booking.

Sure the commentators on Sunday said the card count gets reset to 0 after last weekend.

Sure the commentators on Sunday said the card count gets reset to 0 after last weekend.

The deadline will be moved back a week in a special dispensation by the FA for JB

The deadline will be moved back a week in a special dispensation by the FA for JB

That, or they'll change it to 9 yellows if your name is Joey Barton

4-5-1 with Ireland behind Lovenkrands, I'd hope.

Or if we do 4-4-2 please start with Kuqi.  Can see why Ranger's a sub to Pardew.

Can't see Ireland being dropped in at the deep-end.

I expect him to feature at some point, but not to start.

Pardew - Shola won't be risked.

Where's that from?

NUFC won't take chances with Shola Ameobi

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Apr 13 2011

SHOLA AMEOBI will be given every chance to prove his fitness for next Tuesday’s encounter with Manchester United.

But Alan Pardew revealed today he will not risk the big striker’s chances of appearing in the Premier League run-in by bringing him back if he is not ready.

Ameobi was all geared up to continue his good form from the 4-1 win over Wolves in Sunday’s game with Aston Villa.

Unfortunately for the Nigerian-born player he sustained a knock on the knee in training on Saturday and woke up with swelling on the knee ahead of the trip to Villa Park, forcing a late change.

Pardew told the Chronicle today: “It’s good news on Shola.

“The scan’s come up clear, which is really good news.

“We obviously didn’t want to run without him until the end of the season.”

Should Ameobi fail to make it in time for the Man United game, Pardew must decide whether to keep faith with Nile Ranger and Peter Lovenkrands in attack or break up the ineffective frontline with a start for veteran Shefki Kuqi.

Pardew does have Cheick Tiote back from suspension against Man U and also has the option of nudging Stephen Ireland into a role just off one of the strikers in what could be the ex-Man City man’s debut.

Speaking on risking Ameobi, Pardew said: “We’ve got to protect him now, and make sure that he is involved in as many games as possible.

“He is a possibility for Manchester United.”

Pardew has been impressed with Ameobi’s presence, with the eight- goal striker attempting to fill the void left by Andy Carroll in January.

Pardew said: “You’re only as good as your last game, and in that sense we lost our best player for Aston Villa.

“It made a difference to our team.

“As well as Nile tried, he’s got a lot more to learn.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/04/13/nufc-won-t-take-chances-with-shola-ameobi-72703-28512090/

Alan Pardew: NUFC will have a go at Man Utd

by Steve Brown, Evening Chronicle

Apr 14 2011

ALAN PARDEW has challenged his Newcastle United stars to take advantage of Manchester United’s packed fixture schedule and go all out for victory on Tuesday.

The Magpies host Sir Alex Ferguson’s men at St James’ Park in a re-arranged Premier League clash, with the Red Devils top of the table, through to the last four of the Champions League and facing an FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City on Saturday.

Pardew intends to be at Wembley to watch the FA Cup tie, knowing his side are massive underdogs to get anything out of the Old Trafford outfit three days later.

But Newcastle have not lost at home this season to the other three teams who made up last year’s top four, with Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all having been held.

They welcome back Cheick Tiote and James Perch from suspension, Stephen Ireland from knee and thigh trouble and could have Shola Ameobi available after a scan revealed no lasting damage to a swollen knee.

And as United will not have played since last Sunday’s 1-0 defeat at Aston Villa, Pardew believes his players will hold a fitness advantage over opponents who will have played twice during that period.

“We want to finish the season as strongly as we can,” said Pardew.

“There’s a bit of breathing space between ourselves and the bottom.

“We’ve got an opportunity to have a go at Man United. That’s what we’re going to try to do – we’ll be set up to try and win the game.

“We want to put them under pressure, and force errors on their part.

“We’ll have Cheick and James Perch back. Against Villa, I had three young boys on the bench, and I didn’t have the opportunity to change it.

“I’ll have a couple more options for Man United.

“One thing about Manchester United is that they’ve got a tough schedule.

“There was the Chelsea game, and they’ve got an FA Cup semi-final on Sunday, which I plan to watch.

“We should have more energy on the plus side, and that could even it up, given the quality they have.” Pardew believes Newcastle need “two or three” more points to secure their Premier League status for another season.

But Ferguson’s men hold a seven-point lead over second-placed Arsenal – who have a game in hand – at the top of the table, and will have in-form striker Wayne Rooney back from suspension.

Meanwhile, although Kevin Nolan will miss the clash serving the last game of his own ban, he insists: “It’s going to be tough, but we fancy ourselves against anyone at St James’ and it’s going to be rocking because of the way our fans are.

“Hopefully they can drive us on to a great result.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/04/14/alan-pardew-nufc-will-have-a-go-at-man-utd-72703-28520506/

Expecting us to show plenty of spirit, but be outclassed.

The only forward I can see conjuring up anything against Vidic and Ferdinand is Shola, and he seems to be looking highly doubtful.

I'd go with Ireland behind the front man in this game, there won't be a bigger stage this season for him to try to impress and get himself a deal.