Newcastle United vs. Manchester United (19/4/11 at 7.45pm) Pre-Match Thread

ChrisMcQuillan

Why would you love to see Kuqi start? Surely there was a good reason for why he was without a club in January...

Because he showed more in a 10 minute spell against Villa than Ranger and Lovenkrands managed in the whole game.

He's slow, but he's experienced and intelligent. He knows his limits and just keeps it simple. His introduction at Villa gave us an outlet ball and  instantly gave more space to Loven, Guthrie and R.Taylor on the ball.

After Shola, he's the best of a bad bunch.

Dunno, i'm sceptical like. I doubt he'll start a game for the club and probably with good reason. I can't deny that's simply guesswork though. I can't see any sort of Sibierski-like surprise from the guy... just because he's Newcastle United's Skefki Kuqi doesn't mean he isn't still Shefki Kuqi, free agent, bog standard target man who never did anything in the top league.

Would rather continute playing Lovenkrands or Ranger. The former is a proven goalscorer and, for the latter, it's a chance for him to gather some valuable playing-time. There's no threat of relegation, regardless of any scare-mongering statistics.

just because he's Newcastle United's Skefki Kuqi doesn't mean he isn't still Shefki Kuqi, free agent, bog standard target man who never did anything in the top league.

Harsh, man. He played very well for Blackburn in 05-06. He may be a shell of a striker now, but let's not rewrite history.

Really? Can only remember him as a bit-part player there. Must've only got a handful of goals? Only there for a year n'all.

But either way, i doubt we'll see him start a game for us. Pardew largely said as much; "let's face it, you're not here to try and win a contract for next season"... i recall him saying something along those lines of at a press conference?

For me, it pretty much stems down to the Villa game. I could cry at the thought of such a lack of movement and intelligence that forward line showed.

Ranger just isn't ready to come on before the hour, and Lovenkrands is well..you know, Lovenkrands.

Fair enough. Only seven goals scored that year according to Soccerbase, but i concede that goalscoring (or a lack of) isn't his only attribute as a striker. As i say, probably a bit of a redundant argument anyhow. In a nutshell i'd, personally, rather see us continue with Lovenkrands and Ranger.

Ireland and Shola would be the best option, if it is one. I just think their would be more movement from them all, though I wouldn't object to Ranger starting. Shola though is they key player, if he can throw himself at the ball and hold it up like he can do then surely someone should be able to create something from it.

Shola is the key player.  :facepalm:

Guest GeordieBatistuta

If Ireland's fit then just start him behind Shola, i'd rather a non match fit gamble than Ranger (from the start) or Lovenkrands, who we know offer little.

Thing is Pardew has said in the Guardian that "he can undoubtedly be an influence for 20 minutes. How much more he's got in the locker I don't know." If hes fit enough for the bench surely hes got to be fit enough to play the full match, or at least till we bring Ranger on

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Why would you love to see Kuqi start? Surely there was a good reason for why he was without a club in January...

Because he showed more in a 10 minute spell against Villa than Ranger and Lovenkrands managed in the whole game.

He's slow, but he's experienced and intelligent. He knows his limits and just keeps it simple. His introduction at Villa gave us an outlet ball and  instantly gave more space to Loven, Guthrie and R.Taylor on the ball.

After Shola, he's the best of a bad bunch.

I doubt he could get through a game.

Surely, we don't expect much from this? Got nothing to lose..

No, but if we do get something then all the better.

I fancy a draw here, I can see us upping our game a bit and though not doing much to get the win I think we are capable of stoping them from getting the win.

Would've been more optimistic had they won on Saturday.. They'll be more determined after the cup exit and I think Ferguson is back on the touchline for this one..

I'm pretty sure we'll put up a fight but there's no way we're getting something today..

Shola ight be shit, but he still scores goal in this league and is a threat in the air.

Definitely good enough for a team fighting relegation if he wasn't injured that often, that said, he's a keyman to help us these last couple of games.

Ranger doesnt seem ready yet, and Loven is crap.