Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Regarding the World Cup, I'm sure he'll be incredibly up for it in Brazil.

He's unlucky though. His previous WC:s hasn't really given him a chance. In 2006 they weren't that good, and in 2010 they had a nutcase for manager who had no idea what he was doing.

He needs a stable coach that plays to the strengths of that squad. They have good enough players to win it. Problem is dropping certain offensive players. Can't have Messi, Agüero and Tevez on the pitch at the same time etc.

He's unlucky though. His previous WC:s hasn't really given him a chance. In 2006 they weren't that good, and in 2010 they had a nutcase for manager who had no idea what he was doing.

He needs a stable coach that plays to the strengths of that squad. They have good enough players to win it. Problem is dropping certain offensive players. Can't have Messi, Agüero and Tevez on the pitch at the same time etc.

Sabella seems to be improving them; at least they seem to have a coherent plan and Messi is finally coming up with the goods. Wish there was Copa América this summer (somehow I thought there was, they have fudged with that tournament so much that I don't know when it comes up anymore).

Tevez doesn't even get in the squad currently. First XI tends to line up...

Gago - Mascherano - Di Maria

Messi

Aguero - Higuain

Tevez doesn't even get in the squad currently. First XI tends to line up...

Gago - Mascherano - Di Maria

Messi

Aguero - Higuain

I wonder if Banega will get back in before the WC, looked very good against Madrid the other week.

Also in 2006 they was very good, i still maintain they would have won it if Pekerman didn't take Riquelme off at 1-0 against Germany.

Messi wasn't integral to that team though as he was just a kid.

Guest neesy111

Sabella seems to be improving them; at least they seem to have a coherent plan and Messi is finally coming up with the goods. Wish there was Copa América this summer (somehow I thought there was, they have fudged with that tournament so much that I don't know when it comes up anymore).

It's not on due to the Confederations Cup which is the preview / test event for WC2014.

"50 - During Messi's record breaking season of 82 goals for club & country, he had 38 goals at this stage last year. He now has 50."

Wew...

That's even more ridiculous - from early February until the end of the season he got 44 goals? Fucking hell.

84 league goals in the last 59 matches. :lol:

sdgfasgdasffasfadfsdjh

It's just beyond ridiculous how good he is at this stage. Not sure how anybody can say someone else is better. I reckon he'll win the World Cup with Argentina as well.

I'm not one to point at the WC being some sort of massive black mark against him - but (assuming England aren't going to win it) I'd be pleased if Messi and Argentina win it. People will still try to come up with something against him, mind.

It's just beyond ridiculous how good he is at this stage. Not sure how anybody can say someone else is better. I reckon he'll win the World Cup with Argentina as well.

I'm not one to point at the WC being some sort of massive black mark against him - but (assuming England aren't going to win it) I'd be pleased if Messi and Argentina win it. People will still try to come up with something against him, mind.

It'll always be the Premier League thing with some people.

It'll always be the Premier League thing with some people.

I know people who say he wouldn't do it in Serie A either, since his goal-scoring record against Italian sides isn't good. There's always somebody.