Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

He's probably one of those uber competitive individuals that's hard to relate to for people close to him, like Jordan, Schumacher etc were with people close to them. It ends up being respect for ability rather than loved. He wouldn't be the first great champion that teammates only respected, not loved.

at i've picked up from reading, hearing comments from

Balague .

Ballsbag :lol:

Bloke knows f*** all, he's just an attention seeking media whore like the rest of them.

Mole Broussard speaking :lol:

at i've picked up from reading, hearing comments from

Balague .

Ballsbag :lol:

Bloke knows f*** all, he's just an attention seeking media whore like the rest of them.

Mole Broussard speaking :lol:

Fuck off comparing to that bum fluff wearing piece of shit.

Balagué knows f*** all, but Messi indeed comes across as a pretty reserved individual (he barely speaks to the press, for example, and the club keeps him out of the media focus, he doesn't take much to social media, etc...), which is a stark contrast from his exuberant footballing personality.

He seems to have a very good relationship with Suarez, Neymar, Dani Alves, Iniesta at the very least. He's probably just quiet around people he doesn't know

Wasn't his best friend Pinto or am I making that up? From what I gather Dani is his best friend at the club now, but doubt they hang out very much tbf.

There are like 10000 books about Pep and Messi written by Spanish journos, you don't need any special dispensation to write them :lol:

Balagué doesn't really have a good contact network for Barça, so I don't think he has any particularly insightful information about Messi's life. It's not the same as if he wrote about Benítez, for example.

Balagué knows f*** all, but Messi indeed comes across as a pretty reserved individual (he barely speaks to the press, for example, and the club keeps him out of the media focus, he doesn't take much to social media, etc...), which is a stark contrast from his exuberant footballing personality.

Nah mate he knows everything, TCD says so.

From what I read - his is the only authorised biography. or at least he had acceptance and cooperation from Messi & his family

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/football/first-team/detail/article/season/2013-2014/the-first-authorised-biography-of-leo-messi-is-released-in-catalan-and-spanish

Not really, he didn't have Messi or his family contribute to it, just some people that managed and knew him. Like so many other books about Messi. Honestly, there's loads of them over here. They probably haven't been translated into English and that's why probably you don't know them.

The only true personal account I have read is from an Argie journo that lives in Barcelona and has actually dealt with him often, being both Argies and all.

The way that Argie journo describes him, by the way, I found it quite striking. He says that Messi, outside a football pitch, always looks bored. He doesn't read, he doesn't like movies, he likes videogames because he can compete in them, but those ultimately end up boring him too. When you talk to him he always seems sleepy or uninterested, he's very shy and sleeps a lot. Doesn't socialize. Doesn't see many people outside his family. Football seems to be the only thing that motivates and awakes him.

The way that Argie journo describes him, by the way, I found it quite striking. He says that Messi, outside a football pitch, always looks bored. He doesn't read, he doesn't like movies, he likes videogames because he can compete in them, but those ultimately end up boring him too. When you talk to him he always seems sleepy or uninterested, he's very shy and sleeps a lot. Doesn't socialize. Doesn't see many people outside his family. Football seems to be the only thing that motivates and awakes him.

Man, sounds like an absolute freak. Sell.

Guest firetotheworks

As someone that's read Balague's book about Messi within the last month, I can confirm that at absolutely no point does he mention anything even suggesting that he has aspergers or that he's more respected than liked. Whether he knows fuck all or not, Balague never once even hinted at what TCD is saying.

The entire book is pretty much a love letter to Messi and has nothing but positive quotes by the people that actually know him. He often mentions his reserved personality and his shying away from the spotlight, but that's a normal trait in personality. He mentions that he enjoys being with his family, with friends, being in Rosario, playing FIFA and is obsessed with football. That's it.

Guest firetotheworks

A big part of the book is him interviewing Guardiola about Messi tbf. Nothing is more relevant than the horse's mouth, but it's a very good book.