Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Both Ronaldo and Ronaldinho at their peak were better than Zidane imo.

They were very different type of players, hard to compare. Ronaldinho and Ronaldo were more striker type scoring lots of goals whereas Zidane to me was a midfield maestro bar none

Both Ronaldo and Ronaldinho at their peak were better than Zidane imo.

They were very different type of players, hard to compare. Ronaldinho and Ronaldo were more striker type scoring lots of goals whereas Zidane to me was a midfield maestro bar none

:lol:

Ronaldinho wasn't a striker.

Messi is fucking awesome, what is it? 53 goals this season  :lol:

for all its an astonishing achievement the gulf in class between the big 2 teams and everyone else sours it slightly imo, i'd absolutely love to see him playing over here but its never gonna happen

It's overplayed IMO. The rest of La Liga isn't that bad. Atletico are current holders of the UEFA Cup, Villarreal are in the semis of that same competition this year, Sevilla and Valencia both decent as are Athletic.

Messi is fucking awesome, what is it? 53 goals this season  :lol:

for all its an astonishing achievement the gulf in class between the big 2 teams and everyone else sours it slightly imo, i'd absolutely love to see him playing over here but its never gonna happen

It's overplayed IMO. The rest of La Liga isn't that bad. Atletico are current holders of the UEFA Cup, Villarreal are in the semis of that same competition this year, Sevilla and Valencia both decent as are Athletic.

Comparing the top 9 in La Liga compared to the Premier League

Barcelona v Man Utd - Barcelona

Real Madrid v Chelsea - Madrid

Valencia v Arsenal - Arsenal shade it

Villarreal v City - Villarreal shade it

Bilbao v Spurs - Spurs

Sevilla v Liverpool - Sevilla

Atletico Madrid v Everton - Atletico

Espanyol v Bolton - Espanyol

Mallorca v Fulham - Mallorca

There's no way the Premier League is vastly superior, especially at the minute.  This has been the poorest Premier League in recent years.

Messi is f***ing awesome, what is it? 53 goals this season  :lol:

UEFA Cup counts for absolutely fuck all.  Boro nearly won it for god's sake!

Barcelona v Man Utd - Barcelona - We'll see!  Would you wager piss on it?!

Real Madrid v Chelsea - Madrid - Close one.

Valencia v Arsenal - Arsenal shade it - No shading about this one

Villarreal v City - Villarreal shade it - Not a chance in hell!

Bilbao v Spurs - Spurs - Agree

Sevilla v Liverpool - Sevilla - Disagree

Atletico Madrid v Everton - Atletico - Close one

Espanyol v Bolton - Espanyol - Don't know

Mallorca v Fulham - Mallorca - Don't know

What about the bottom 10?  There is no way La Liga is vastly better than the PL.

Yeah it's so worthless Liverpool just gave up and let Atletico have it last season, because it's totally beneath great Britannia.

Did the same thing again this season to Braga, what a nice bunch giving the cheeky Iberian scamps some silverware.

Barcelona v Man Utd - Barcelona - We'll see!  Would you wager p*ss on it?!

Real Madrid v Chelsea - Madrid - Close one.

Valencia v Arsenal - Arsenal shade it - No shading about this one

Villarreal v City - Villarreal shade it - Not a chance in hell!

Bilbao v Spurs - Spurs - Agree

Sevilla v Liverpool - Sevilla - Disagree

Atletico Madrid v Everton - Atletico - Close one

Espanyol v Bolton - Espanyol - Don't know

Mallorca v Fulham - Mallorca - Don't know

What about the bottom 10?  There is no way La Liga is vastly better than the PL.

So basically you agreed to every single one of them where a PL team was better and disagreed or didn't know when a La Liga team was better.

Barcelona is better than Man Utd and Real is better than Chelsea. Agree with you that I do think City is better than Villarreal though.

The rest is really true. Sevilla is better than Liverpool and Atletico better than Everton.

Messi is f***ing awesome, what is it? 53 goals this season  :lol:

UEFA Cup counts for absolutely fuck all.  Boro nearly won it for god's sake!

This is a rarity for me but I'm going to have to use it:

:dowiespin:

Zidane wasn't even that great in 2006. His performance against Brazil was class, but he didn't have a superb tournament overall.

It all started in the last 16 against Spain. Was immense from there on.

Guest benarfaNUFC

Zidane wasn't even that great in 2006. His performance against Brazil was class, but he didn't have a superb tournament overall.

I'm french ,  zidane is overrated  98 invisible one game very good final and 2006 brasil

henry vs real goal youtube arsenal ldc same goal of messi

:thup:

Zidane's "tournament" was definitely Euro 2000.

That's when he was at the peak of his powers.

:thup:

Zidane's "tournament" was definitely Euro 2000.

That's when he was at the peak of his powers.

Agreed. But fuck me was this guy a player. Impossible to take the ball from him and was really complete. What made him so good too was that he thrived in important matches. Cried my eyes out the day we lost to them in 2006, but after that I just enjoy watching clips from that game. Masterclass from a player three games away from ending his career.

Legend, pure legend. Was looking at the FIFA Best player award and the new FIFA Ballon d'Or and as far as that goes its right at the moment.

Zidane at first with 3 wins, 2 runners up and 1 third.

Ronaldo second with 3 wins, 1 runnerup 1 third.

Messi third with 2 wins, 2runners up.

Messi still behind those two but won't be behind for much longer :lol: Immense player.

Zidane was still a great player, but not in the same class as Pele, Maradona, Best, Eusebio etc

Agreed. Pele, Maradona, Best, Eusebio, Cruyff, Di Stefano, Puskas, Garrincha, Zico were just immense players who were much better than their opponents. Zidane was very good, but not to that extent as these guys really, however I have no problem having him mentioned with these guys as Zidane is the best player of the last generation.

And the next person who says 'But Zidane/Ronaldo/Messi would be so much better if they played back then.' Should just give up.

Maradona and Messi have in common this exceptional change of pace and change of direction that allows them to go past opponents - and stay past them - in situations which would defeat all other players. Messi in particular seems to be able to get through the tiniest of gaps in a defence.

Wenger has pointed out that what marks Messi out even more is his temperament. He always seems to be 100% focused on the game and his contribution to the team. He never seems to lose his temper, get discouraged, show off, criticise his team mates etc - all the possible pitfalls for the star player.