Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

To think there's still people about that will dig up obscure stats to bash him. I see that moronic 'HE'S NEVER SCORED IN ENGLAND' bollocks is still going round.

Hopefully he can put that one to rest at Wembley.

Are England playing Argentina this summer?

Might have to give you a :dowiespin: for that

• 3 weeks later...

Starting to do it in every big game now, he's going to be the very best come the end of his career. How anybody can even think Cristiano Ronaldo is the better footballer dumbfounds me.

Taller and better looking.

Can't dispute facts.

Starting to do it in every big game now, he's going to be the very best come the end of his career. How anybody can even think Cristiano Ronaldo is the better footballer dumbfounds me.

He's simply astonishing. I still think Ronaldo's the best player of my lifetime.

Although barring a major injury, Messi should have the longevity that Ronaldo never had. So I wouldn't argue with anybody that gave Messi that honour.

We're watching the greatest player that's ever played the game, and we've got another 8+ years of the pleasure.  Enjoy it.

If he eats well (and uses modern training techniques) and lives with dignity, there is no reason for him to stop playing at 31. It should be more like 10 years at least.

I think he's better than Ronaldo like, sorry Tooj.

He obviously doesn't have the speed and strength that Ronaldo did, but put a ball at their feet and tell them to run at a defense and I'm not sure I can pick a winner. They're both breathtaking finishers too.

Where Messi trumps him though is as a playmaker, his vision and passing is incredible. That pass for Villa in the first half when he almost got on the end of the return ball... fuckin hell like.

Undoubtedly one of the greats - but he plays with some great players as well

it's his intelligence that impresses me - he keeps the opposition totally unbalanced

He obviously doesn't have the speed and strength that Ronaldo did, but put a ball at their feet and tell them to run at a defense and I'm not sure I can pick a winner. They're both breathtaking finishers too.

Where Messi trumps him though is as a playmaker, his vision and passing is incredible. That pass for Villa in the first half when he almost got on the end of the return ball... fuckin hell like.

For me, Ronaldo's speed makes him a more effective (direct) dribbler and I'd say he's finishing is better too. Messi's dribbling is cute to watch, but often they are probing dribbling to create space for others instead of heading for goal. When Ronaldo gets the ball, just one thing on his mind and he pulled it off most of the times

Guest guinness_fiend

For me, Ronaldo's speed makes him a more effective (direct) dribbler and I'd say he's finishing is better too. Messi's dribbling is cute to watch, but often they are probing dribbling to create space for others instead of heading for goal. When Ronaldo gets the ball, just one thing on his mind and he pulled it off most of the times

And to think that he still manages to rack up 40+ goals a season.  Astounding.

You understand relative comparison mate?

Guest guinness_fiend

You understand relative comparison mate?

Indeed I do.  But to say that Messi's dribbling is merely "cute" and that most of the time he doesn't head for goal is demonstrative of the fact that you've rarely seen him play.  When there's space in front of Messi, he goes straight for goal.  A case in point being his goal against Real a few weeks back.  Not to mention the fact that he's given very little time on the ball because defenders are terrified of him.

Not even the greatest Barca player. Iniesta and Xavi should have their own threads IMO.

Nah that's bollocks.

Cyclical to get drawn in, been covered earlier in the thread.