Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Guest benarfaNUFC

His passing is definitely an under rated part of his game.

You won't find him making 50 yard hollywood balls, but it's not integral to his game.  His vision and ability to find a through ball are of the highest class.  23 assists this season tell its own story.

:facepalm:

Maradona>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Messi

Records statistics assists football  490 = Maradona

Maradona Barça 56 games=38 goals no xavi no iniesta he is 10

touch skills freestyle passing free kick penalty kick speed leader capitan10  ............................

“Messi isn’t Maradona,” Palermo said Monday on America TV. “To me, Messi does not have Maradona’s mentality. He’s not prepared to carry the team.

“He (Messi) is not one to take the role of leader. He won’t do it because he’s not used to this position. He grew up in another way, he’s lived differently. He’s been with Barcelona since he was 12.”

In a game which involved a lot of crude tactics, Messi didn't involve himself once.  He just wanted the ball and wanted to play football.

He is without doubt the best of this generation and if he keeps it up will be the best of all time.

Messi didn't involve himself once.  He just wanted the ball and wanted to play football.

That's what makes him so great to watch too. He rarely gets dragged down by those around him.

Maradonna won the WC almost single handedly (no pun intended) I can't see Messi doing that. Maradonna also transformed Napoli into a title winning team.

That said, for me, Pele was better; his record is phenomenal. He may have played his club football is Brazil but look at the titles Santos won and their results when they travelled to Europe.

Maradonna won the WC almost single handedly (no pun intended) I can't see Messi doing that. Maradonna also transformed Napoli into a title winning team.

That said, for me, Pele was better; his record is phenomenal. He may have played his club football is Brazil but look at the titles Santos won and their results when they travelled to Europe.

Really?

Wasn't Maradona older when he won the World Cup? Messi is 3 years younger at the moment so give it chance.  :lol:

Nah I get what you saying, but in today's generation Messi is a fucking alien in comparison to others. He's far too good.

In a game which involved a lot of crude tactics, Messi didn't involve himself once.  He just wanted the ball and wanted to play football.

He is without doubt the best of this generation and if he keeps it up will be the best of all time.

'Messi Never Dives' on everyone's favourite video-sharing website.  :thup:

Love the one where he gets blatantly pushed down, get straight back up and keep running only to look pissed at getting a free kick. :lol:

Maradonna wouldn't be able to have as much influence now as he did then,  to what degree is up for debate.. in context, if u put Messi back when Maradonna was playing, I'm sure he'd have done the same, if not more than what Maradonna had done in that era.. the way he's head and shoulders above all these athletes nowadays indicates to me he's the best ever.

what he's doing in the modern game with it's far superior athleticism and pace will mark him as the greatest of all time if he keeps it up (relatively, can't score 50+ goals a fucking season, can he? :lol:) and keeps injury free

and the best part is that no matter C. Ronaldo does, no matter how hard he tries, Messi always shafts him and comes out on top :thup:

love Messi me like, ray of light in the darkness that football has become

Taking an Argentinian team into Brazil and winning the World Cup man... could there be a better way for someone to be crowned the greatest of all time?

Do think that saying he HAS to win the World Cup is a bit silly like. Obviously it's an important tournament but putting it all on that is silly.

One thing that goes in favor of players like Maradona and Pele for being the best of all times is the fact they got beaten up real badly.

Pele in '66 World Cup was physically raped, Messi is protected by the referees and will so not be beaten up the same ways these guys were.

However, many disagree, but in the rest of the world people agree. Messi needs at least one or two World Cups to be considered the Best of all time. Otherwise the Argentinians will themselves still consider Maradona bigger.

Dunno if it was mentioned bust Cronaldo had an interview and said he was sent by the god of football to teach the world how to play.

In an interview when asked about it messi simply replied "I never sent him"

Messi is fucking awesome, what is it? 53 goals this season  :lol:

for all its an astonishing achievement the gulf in class between the big 2 teams and everyone else sours it slightly imo, i'd absolutely love to see him playing over here but its never gonna happen

Guest dazzanufc1892

dont know really where he would rate, you could say its the team hes in, but some of the things this lad does, is truly ridiculous. Last nights goal was something you only see in the play ground when the best player in the school dribbles around 10 half decent lads just because he can. Except with this boy, hes doing it against the best

I'd love to see Pele in his prime in the Premier League.  Don't reckon he'd score any more than 20 goals a season.  Todays game is just so much more technical and stamina based.

To score 52 goals in Spain is immense.  If he can come to the Premier League and score 40+ goals then he truly will be amongst the best ever.