Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Guest sicko2ndbest

We are privileged to be in an era where we have 2 of the greatest of all time.

Because of the changes in diet and physique messi and ronaldo are the 2 most effective players ever to grace the pitch. If they played as they are now 20/30/40 years ago they would be more effective than pele, cruyff or maradona.

However, I believe a player should and can only truly be judged against The era he plays in. So for me its

1. Maradonna

2. Pele

3. Messi

4. Cruyff

5. Eusebio

6. Puskas

7. Van basten

8. Ronaldo

9. CRonaldo

10. Gullit

As things stand

Guest benarfaNUFC

Maradona

1:Zidane: the greatest ever ,the perfect player is maradona

2: Careca: admite as was far better than pele

3: Bobby Charlton: the greatest footballer

4: Gullit: he was from another world

5: Marco van Basten: The Greatest footballer ever

6: Bobby robson:hate him or love him he was the greatest player of all time.

7 zola: he was the god of football

8:Ronaldhino: hes was my idol and greatest

9: C. Ronaldo : the greatest

10: Ze Roberto and R. Carlos: Maradona was without doubt the greatest

11: Sacchi on sky: Maradona is the best player in the world

12: Baggio: Maradona all players dream

13: gentile: Maradona better than Pelè

14: Cantona: Maradona is greatest art.

15: Eusebio: Maradona was the greatest

16 Maldini: Maradona is Maradona

17: Ben arfa :My idol is maradona

18:Platini : "Zidane does some extraordinary things, it's true. But you have to put everything in context. What Zidane does with a ball, Maradona could do with an orange," he added.

messi aguero tevez    ....  they are a fan of MARADONA

We are privileged to be in an era where we have 2 of the greatest of all time.

Because of the changes in diet and physique messi and ronaldo are the 2 most effective players ever to grace the pitch. If they played as they are now 20/30/40 years ago they would be more effective than pele, cruyff or maradona.

However, I believe a player should and can only truly be judged against The era he plays in. So for me its

1. Maradonna

2. Pele

3. Messi

4. Cruyff

5. Eusebio

6. Puskas

7. Van basten

8. Ronaldo

9. CRonaldo

10. Gullit

As things stand

using that idea i can only say that inly 3 players for me have that status and i can't choose between them, pele, cruyff, maradona.

Guest Howaythetoon

Messi is oundoubtedly a world-class footballer, arguably the best in the world right now and the best of HIS generation. You could even argue of any. For me though I find it hard to truly judge him because he is playing in a side that is even better than he is, a side in short that is as a team better than all the individuals in it. Now compare that to the Argentina side which Messi plays for and he often doesn't stand out. As a stand alone footballer he is immense and one of the greatest ever for sure. But to become a true great he has to perform in a poor side or an average one and to great heights too and perhaps in more than one league and for more than one side too.

On a personal level, for me a true great should have some kind of aura about them. Zidane had it, Pele had it, Maradona certainly had it and so did Best and Cruyff. Does Messi? I'm not sure.

Messi is oundoubtedly a world-class footballer, arguably the best in the world right now and the best of HIS generation. You could even argue of any. For me though I find it hard to truly judge him because he is playing in a side that is even better than he is, a side in short that is as a team better than all the individuals in it. Now compare that to the Argentina side which Messi plays for and he often doesn't stand out. As a stand alone footballer he is immense and one of the greatest ever for sure. But to become a true great he has to perform in a poor side or an average one and to great heights too and perhaps in more than one league and for more than one side too.

On a personal level, for me a true great should have some kind of aura about them. Zidane had it, Pele had it, Maradona certainly had it and so did Best and Cruyff. Does Messi? I'm not sure.

He seems to be a fairly reserved individual, which I really like - he just appears to love playing football and little else. I think maybe this "aura" may develop as he racks up the seasons at this ridiculous level of quality.

Guest Howaythetoon

He seems to be a fairly reserved individual, which I really like - he just appears to love playing football and little else. I think maybe this "aura" may develop as he racks up the seasons at this ridiculous level of quality.

The big worry with Messi is early burn-out. When he gets to the age of 25 the rate he's going it wouldn't surprise me to see his performances and game diminishing massively compared to his performances and game today or now. Look at Kaka and to a lesser extent Rooney. Then again, I'd be suprised in modern football with the number of games, intense pressure and rewards off the pitch if many have such a consistently great career performance wise.

Kaka's game relied massively on physical attributes too. Moreso than Messi.

That burst of pace over 5 yards is what made him IMO. Obviously he still has the technique though. It'd be a bold move but I think he'd do a decent job in the Pirlo role as the deep lying playmaker.

Maradona

18:Platini : "Zidane does some extraordinary things, it's true. But you have to put everything in context. What Zidane does with a ball, Maradona could do with an orange," he added.

messi aguero tevez    ....  they are a fan of MARADONA

:lol:

what the fuck is this supposed to be?

Occasionally a player will come along who is in a different class to every other player of his generation. Messi is in that category. IMO the other examples would be Maradona, Cruyff and Pele.

Occasionally a player will come along who is in a different class to every other player of his generation. Messi is in that category. IMO the other examples would be Maradona, Cruyff and Pele.

Ronaldo as well.

Guest Heneage

That burst of pace over 5 yards is what made him IMO. Obviously he still has the technique though. It'd be a bold move but I think he'd do a decent job in the Pirlo role as the deep lying playmaker.

Very true. That game for Milan at Old Trafford was one of the best I ever saw him play. He just glided over the grass that night watching him now it's like two different players it also highlights how amazing even just a bit of speed loss can affect a player.

Very true. That game for Milan at Old Trafford was one of the best I ever saw him play. He just glided over the grass that night watching him now it's like two different players it also highlights how amazing even just a bit of speed loss can affect a player.

Over those two legs he was absolutely sublime. A joy to watch.

Scored his 50th goal this season tonight.. in 49 matches.

Astonishingly good.  If he can lead Barcelona to a League and Champions League double that will put him up there with the best ever imo, on par with Maradona.

Scored his 50th goal this season tonight.. in 49 matches.

Astonishingly good.  If he can lead Barcelona to a League and Champions League double that will put him up there with the best ever imo, on par with Maradona.

Not on Maradona's level for me - which isn't a disservice, but his range of passing isn't as good as Maradona's was. Although in a few years when his pace diminishes, I expect he'll slot into a more classic number 10 role, whereby he'll be a superb playmaker.

I think his passing range is underrated like, he just doesn't need to utilise it often. You still see him play some great through balls and quick short interplay. Like you say I expect as he slows we'll see that side of his game more.

I think his passing range is underrated like, he just doesn't need to utilise it often. You still see him play some great through balls and quick short interplay. Like you say I expect as he slows we'll see that side of his game more.

It is great don't get me wrong, for example the ball he played to Villa against Gijon (I think), that was superb.

We just don't see enough of it at the moment.

Just Maradona's was on a different level to anyone I've seen over the past 20 years, including Zidane's.

His passing is definitely an under rated part of his game.

You won't find him making 50 yard hollywood balls, but it's not integral to his game.  His vision and ability to find a through ball are of the highest class.  23 assists this season tell its own story.

Maradona

messi aguero tevez    ....  they are a fan of MARADONA

and Maradona is a fan of jonas, therefore...