Football's greatest - where does Lionel Messi rank?

Dave

Don't think anybody can really argue that Ronaldo had a better year than Messi.

This. Starting to think Messi needs to move for his own sake tbh.

Proven bottler though isn't he. Scared of moving to a proper league.

You could tell he wasn't fit in the World Cup like.

I'm not sure. He has been playing the same level for quite a few games after and before the World Cup as well. Has he been having fitness issues all year? why wouldn't he do something about it? Genuine questions.

When watching him in the World Cup he could barely it looked like he was running through lead at times.

Maybe all of the football he has played has caught up with him? It's not an unusual thing in modern football for players that played a lot in their teens/early 20s to peak earlier and have some sort of a decline around 27/28.

You could tell he wasn't fit in the World Cup like.

I'm not sure. He has been playing the same level for quite a few games after and before the World Cup as well. Has he been having fitness issues all year? why wouldn't he do something about it? Genuine questions.

When watching him in the World Cup he could barely it looked like he was running through lead at times.

Maybe all of the football he has played has caught up with him? It's not an unusual thing in modern football for players that played a lot in their teens/early 20s to peak earlier and have some sort of a decline around 27/28.

Could be physical degradation related to his artificially accelerated growth through puberty exacerbated by the levels to which his body is pushed as a professional footballer.

Newcastle legend figures highly in Ballon d’Or all time greats.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/newcastle-legend-figures-highly-ballon-dor-time-greats/

When I was a kid I used to read the Eric Castel comics; these featured a French player that signed for Barça. In one of them Barça plays against Keegan-led Hamburg. Being Castel the main hero, he manages to defeat Hamburg, but not before Keegan puts on a master class on the pitch. I didn't know who Keegan was until that point (I'm not old enough to have seen that side), so I asked my dad, who said, and I quote: "made football look like a movie where he always was the hero".

Eric Castel is a great comic for football hipsters, by the way, loads of classic late 70s-early 80s sides show up in it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wRknFykCnpE/TNP3vry2PyI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/m5XR5SyiIRg/s1600/keegan.jpg

Guest thenorthumbrian

Newcastle legend figures highly in Ballon d’Or all time greats.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/newcastle-legend-figures-highly-ballon-dor-time-greats/

When I was a kid I used to read the Eric Castel comics; these featured a French player that signed for Barça. In one of them Barça plays against Keegan-led Hamburg. Being Castel the main hero, he manages to defeat Hamburg, but not before Keegan puts on a master class on the pitch. I didn't know who Keegan was until that point (I'm not old enough to have seen that side), so I asked my dad, who said, and I quote: "made football look like a movie where he always was the hero".

Eric Castel is a great comic for football hipsters, by the way, loads of classic late 70s-early 80s sides show up in it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wRknFykCnpE/TNP3vry2PyI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/m5XR5SyiIRg/s1600/keegan.jpg

Thanks for that post do kids read comics with footballers in them anymore ? Probably not.

Thanks for that post do kids read comics with footballers in them anymore ? Probably not.

There's quite a few ones over here, although I doubt they sell much. Some are really bizarre:

Spain vs Aliens

659a32ebb874e600319a268448a2228c.jpg

And the Fernando Torres superhero comic :D

http://img.irtve.es/imagenes/torres-se-convierte-superheroe-comic/1274786363073.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_w9Vq6Hn2ru0/S_9QNg3oaRI/AAAAAAAABZM/wUauzPLlZCY/s1600/portada-bj-cambios.jpg

Keegan puts on a master class on the pitch. I didn't know who Keegan was until that point (I'm not old enough to have seen that side), so I asked my dad, who said, and I quote: "made football look like a movie where he always was the hero".

what an absolutely amazing memory to have of a footballer, wish i'd seen keegan in his prime like

Keegan puts on a master class on the pitch. I didn't know who Keegan was until that point (I'm not old enough to have seen that side), so I asked my dad, who said, and I quote: "made football look like a movie where he always was the hero".

what an absolutely amazing memory to have of a footballer, wish i'd seen keegan in his prime like

You know how Beckham carried England single handedly in that game against Greece? Well Keegan did the same for England as captain for nigh on four years. I've never seen a player with such heart.

• 3 months later...
Guest firetotheworks

I was watching Football's Greatest: Messi last night.

Joan Laporta: "I remember I went to watch him in the youth team, he once scored 4 goals in 14 minutes." :lol:

I was watching Football's Greatest: Messi last night.

Joan Laporta: "I remember I went to watch him in the youth team, he once scored 4 goals in 14 minutes." :lol:

He probably scored 5 a half at youth level tbf.

Just dug out his junior records.

Newell's:

Year     GamesP Goals   Average

1994         29           40     1.38

1995         30           36     1.2

1996         27           36     1.33

1997         36           40     1.11

1998         25           27     1.08

1999         29           55     1.9

Total       176         234     1.33

Barça:

Team        GamesP  Goals  Average

Infantil B       1       1 1

Infantil A     14     21 1.5

Cadete A     30     37 1.23

Barcelona C    10       5 0.5

Barcelona B    22       6 0.27

Total           77     70 0.91

He was employed as a classic winger at Barça B and C.

Newell's:

Año Partidos Goles Promedio

1994 29 40 1.38

1995 30 36 1.2

1996 27 36 1.33

1997 36 40 1.11

1998 25 27 1.08

1999 29 55 1.9

Total 176 234 1.33

Barça:

Infantil B 1 1 1

Infantil A 14 21 1.5

Cadete A 30 37 1.23

Barcelona C 10 5 0.5

Barcelona B 22 6 0.27

Total 77 70 0.91

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/e3/e38c73bf53c6ab4f6946a654801c90bda7ee514f172538739e2d88183ac76c5b.jpg

Newell's:

Year     GamesP Goals   Average

1994         29           40     1.38

1995         30           36     1.2

1996         27           36     1.33

1997         36           40     1.11

1998         25           27     1.08

1999         29           55     1.9

Total       176         234     1.33

Barça:

Team        GamesP  Goals  Average

Infantil B       1       1 1

Infantil A     14     21 1.5

Cadete A     30     37 1.23

Barcelona C    10       5 0.5

Barcelona B    22       6 0.27

Total           77     70 0.91

Must've had a John Carver pep talk in 1999

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32455354

Alex Ferguson giving a good little insight into his view on Messi vs Ronaldo, paraphrashing a bit -

"Ronaldo can go play for QPR, Millwall and score a hat trick because he's got two feet, strong in the air and very brave. I don't think Messi could do the same. Messi is a Barcelona player".

Interesting view from probably the best manager of all time, if you have an entire team built around Messi's strengths, then Messi can probably look better than Ronaldo. But Ferguson reckons Ronaldo can raise the level of the team on his own. From this mentality alone, Ferguson is comparing Ronaldo more with Maradona than Messi in his ability to carry a team alone.

Alex Ferguson giving a good little insight into his view on Messi vs Ronaldo, paraphrashing a bit -

"Ronaldo can go play for QPR, Millwall and score a hat trick because he's got two feet, strong in the air and very brave. I don't think Messi could do the same. Messi is a Barcelona player".

Interesting view from probably the best manager of all time, if you have an entire team built around Messi's strengths, then Messi can probably look better than Ronaldo. But Ferguson reckons Ronaldo can raise the level of the team on his own. From this mentality alone, Ferguson is comparing Ronaldo more with Maradona than Messi in his ability to carry a team alone.

So that's why Ronaldo does so well in major international tournaments

:lol: Not biased at all from Sir Alex.